Applying for pip with Epilepsy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've sent off the "how your disability affects you" forms, it's taken me a week to fill it and and sent it off Friday. Do you have to fill a certain criteria to get to the assessor stage? And if so how will this work? I don't have a disability that you can see and unless I have a seizure there and then I'm not sure how I can prove how a seizure effects me, physically, mentally plus the side effects of the meds I am on. Any advice would be appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

You'll more than likely be asked to attend a face 2 face assesment. To qualify for PIP you'll have to prove that the descriptors apply to you. To qualify for at least standard rate in either daily living and or Mobility you need to score at least 8 points, 12 for Enhanced. Have you taken a look at the table of decriptors? I can't put links so search for that and you can see. You'll need evidence to support your claim such as DR's letters, letter from Consultants, Letter from someone who knows you well or even yourself, a list of all your current medication any or all of these would be great and more if possible. Letters about future appointments are classed as evidence though. Did you get help to fill in the form? It does help if you understand what to put as they're quite complex forms. Do you get help daily from anyone? do you get help with cooking, washing, dressing/undressing, do you need assistence when going out incase you have a seizure? I'm not going to lie to you but i've heard quite recently a few people with eplipsey who've been refused. Although it's not a diagnosis that gets you an award it's how your condition affects you daily. Hope i've given you enough info to help answer your questions.

• Posted

Hi,

Not sure if I have read your post wrong, but would it not have been better to ask these questions prior to filling out the forms. It really is about how your illness affects you rather than how many illnesses you have.

Mike.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is because I've seen so many posts from people who have had terrible trouble with assessments despite having physical painful disabilities. I've certainly done my homework and got a lot of valuable advice and information from here, sometimes it's nice to have a little re assurance from people in the know

• Posted

Hi Sarah, its all about how your disability affect's you, so if say you have a day clear of seizures how will that cause you a problem and if on a day that you have a seizure how does that affect you.

Also have you paperwork to back up your claim from say physio therapist/neurologist/occupational therapist etc.

• Posted

I had my DLA reassessed in 2015 and was awarded it until 2020 I received a claim pack for pip I like you took a while to complete I have got my decision and was refused so they just stopped my DLA even tho I had the award until 2020 I also have epilepsy and I have Reynauds don't know if Reynauds is classed as a disability I did notice that the questions in the claim pack were more for people with mental disabilities I have just asked for a mandatory review but not had the results yet from what I see and hear that most people that get refused do get it back on appeal am sure if you stick with it and don't give up keep appealing am sure you will get it back a friend of mine got it back but took 4 appeals and they don't have disabity they are on it for alcohol I see this as a self inflicted disabiliy more than anything the system has changed for the worse and seems to penalise people with genuine disabilities I was even told by my local job centre that employers will not touch me for work purposes as it would cost far too much on the companies insurance and could am too much as a liability they could employ 10 people for the amount of insurance it would cost to employ 1person with epilepsy I will keep you informed of my results of my mandatory review should be getting that anytime

• Posted

Hi Tanya,

PIP isn't just for those with mental disabilities it's actually aimed at those who have difficulties in daily life. It's not about a diagnosis either. Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to Appeal Tribunal. Those that attend these appeal 65% are successful with a much less % for those that don't attend. I'm guessing you sent in plenty of evidence to support your claim? If you didn't then you'll need to do this when you submit your Appeal. Appeal can take months so it's a long process. Hopefully you won't get that far and overturn the decision for the MR. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.