appointee for my son

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi , denise and all well it came the big letter everyone dreads but im glad to report  my son has been granted the enhanced rate for both , what a relief , it says also something about getting a vehicle taxed is that true im got my own car but with being his appointee i transport him everywhere and how do i go about getting it as the car  is in my name

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

  • Posted


    That's great news! You will need to take all your documents, including the PIP award letter of entitlement to you local post office. As a nominated driver you'll be able to claim the road tax free. Don't forget to take the log book (V5) with you too because this will need to be sent off to change the class to disabled. Please do bear in mind that the car will only be able to be used for the purpose of your son, if you're claiming the road tax.

    As he's got Enhanced mobility don't forget you can also have the mobility car and drive it on his behalf. All you need to do for this is to take the award letter to a dealer of your choice. The mobility part of the PIP award will then be used to pay for the car, rather than be paid to your son.

  • Posted

    Hi annemarie.

    This happened when i was awarded my enhanced for both. We we're informed if you wanted to use tax for a vehicle you already have. It had to be in the name of person awarded the benefit.

    But you can if course get a vehicle on mobility, and be a named driver. Then not only rge tax, but insurance and all services are included. But entirely your sons and your choice.

    And well done on getting the award deserved.

    • Posted

      Hi Bobby,

      The car doesn't have to be in the name of Annmarie's son. A nominated driver can also use the car for the purpose of the person claiming the Enhanced mobility. I'm not sure who told you that but it's not correct info.

      There's plenty of info on the internet about taxing a vehicle for the disabled road tax. Disabled motoring . org is one of them.

    • Posted

      This is copied and pasted from the website named above.

      To claim the exemption or reduction the vehicle must be :

      Registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

      It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

      You can only have one vehicle tax exemption or reduction at any one time.

    • Posted

      Thanks for this Denise. We didn't know about it. My partner was told when i won my tribunal for enhanced. By the DWP the vehicle had to be in my name. Since i cannot drive any longer due to my MS. Our car is in my partners name. Looke like they miss informed her. But thank you, she can now sort this out. XXX

    • Posted

      Yes i see why we didn't get it. As my partner uses the vehicle herself as well as me. She uses it for work etc. Along with taking me to my appointments, outings, shopping.

    • Posted

      You're welcome. It does get rather complicated when the driver isn't the disabled person. A lot of people don't claim the road tax because of this very reason. Being limit to what the driver can use the car for makes it difficult. As your partner uses the car for work then it means that if you need to car then you're stuck because you're the disabled person, if you see what i mean. In this situation your partner would not be allowed to use the car for work purposes.

      It would be the same if you had a motability car. The car can only be used for the purpose of the disabled person.

      Like i always say to people, please please don't believe everything the DWP tell you because there's a huge chance it may not be correct. In this case that's true. xxx

    • Posted

      Thank you Denise

      Your advice and knowledge is really appreciated. XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.