appointment

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi ladies,i only joined this forum a few days ago and i`m really pleased that i did ,i have learnt so much more than i would have dome thru reading,my question is,i have just got my first appt at gyny clinic and just wondered what to expect and should my hubby go with me? TIA

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What a splendid idea - to take your husband- he will be able to ask the questions he needs answering and will understand that he MUST be gentle with you

I was examined after being quizzed  about my symptoms - it is a GOOD idea to be clear and concise with your background history

EG:_When it started what treatment you had - or not - what issues you have had ie:: pain splitting fusing soreness etc

How you treated it  whether anything worked for you - what triggers off the flare up What stress you have in your life  whether you also have other autoimmune conditions - (asthma arthitis etc) Whether you are menopausal  had changes o your pill or HRT - depending on your age

what the future holds for you - what research has been done re the condition what are the side effects of the steroids

Mention also the Dr Goldsteins webinar - go with the web address in case  the consultant isnt aware of it

You dont mention you are and some  age related questions will be useful too - if you want to get pregnant for example

Good Luck and chat to your husband about what questions HE wants answered to understand your situation

Sue

• Posted

Typo:

"Your age"  NOT 'you are' penultimate para!

• Posted

Hi Susan, My husband went with me to the gyn. clinic but waited in the waiting area for me. If you feel you would like him to be present with the gyn. you could ask if he can be present for any conversation. I didn't require him to meet the gyn. for myself and didn't have a problem meeting on my own.

I  met the gyn. in his office for the initial chat then an examination was performed in a seperate room with a what they call a chaperone present at all times. After the examination and back in his office he gave his diagnosis of nearly 100% positive. He then said he wanted to do a biopsy under general anesthetic which occured the following week. A wait of a few weeks took me back to his office for the biopsy report which confirmed LS and also eliminated vin and any malignancy which is quite important and assuring to be told exactly what we were dealing with. Dermovate steroid is the prescribed treatment. I could have been passed back to my GP for follow up checks on my condition bit I requested to attend his clinic for further appointments for which he agreed and I will still be under his care which I feel more confident about that follow up care at my GP's. Keep reading the posts on here as most find it more helpful than GP's orGYN 's. 

• Posted

thank you for your reply,is it usual to have a general anaesthetic for a biopsy?(i assumed it would be a local)i`ve heard that you`re not allowed to go on a flight for 6 months post GA,we`ve booked a holiday for November.
    • Posted

So, Norma, on another thread I believe you said you decided not to use the Dermovate in favour of working with diet, stress management and hormonal aspects. This was pretty much what I did around menopause, twelve years ago (I wasn't diagnosed with LS, but in hindsight I'd had it since I was 22. The mess I was in two years ago left me no choice but to use Dermovate.
    • Posted

Hi Morrell, I am in a bit of a limbo at the moment.My situation up to present is...I have only had the biopsy result recently. The GYN. explained to me he would send a letter to my GP and I would get prescriptions through my GP. he will continue to see me and I have since recieved a letter for my next appointment at GYN. vulva clinic. Unfortunately after waiting a resonable length of time no letter had reached my GP. I got in touch with the hospital where I attended the clinic and enquired about the missing letter. Wouldn't you just believe it,there had been a break down somewhere in the system and the letter had not been dealt with. Apologises were given and an assurance that the letter would be printed off and sent that day. It's only a couple of days ago so I expect to hear from my GP soon. Athough I have not got the Dermovate yet that is what the GYN. said I will be prescribed. Even though I am apprehensive about steroid use I will use it if it is advisable and I feel it is the only option. During the meantime I am trying anything I can to deal with LS. There are so many thoughts and theories it is hard to pin it down to any particular fault. I'll keep working on it though.   
    • Posted

Hi Susan, No it is not usual to have general anesthetic. I had my biopsy at a private hospital and that is what my consultant gyn. prefers to do. It is normally done with a local anesthetic injection and I believe that is what is done if one attends a NHS hospital. I could have requested local anesthetic if I had wished to but I was ok in having  general anesthetic. Well you have told me something I wasn't aware of. I have not heard that you can not fly for 6 months after general anesthetic. I wonder why that should be! Seems a bit strange to me. I'm sure you will be ok for your holiday.

• Posted

Ok, I see, you weren't opting out. Don't worry about thinning - LS produced crazy thick plaques of substandard skin. The ointment (Sara is right about the cream) thins the top crappy layer which it has to do to get to the bottom layer where the inflammatory proteins get knocked out.
    • Posted

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer discovering I have this affliction. I am still trying to find out more. I will probably use Dermovate because I do have white patches. My understanding is ointment for vulva and cream for if it is elsewhere on the body. Every bit of info. helps. Thanks.
  • Posted

If your doctor prescribes a steroid be sure to get an ointment and not a cream.  I was originally prescribed a cream and it did not absorb well, I also had a reaction (which my current dr says there is an allergen in the cream).  Now that I'm using an ointment I can see how quickly it is absorbed and I dont seem as sensitive.

Ointment.

• Posted

On one of the earlier visit to the gyno my husband came along with me and we all sat at the gyno's desk.  It helped in more than one way - it was clear that my husband stood with me in this, and since my gyno is male, there was another male presence and the overal climate is then ever so slightly different.  Plus my partner could help me with questions I otherwise may have forgotten to ask. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.