Appointment tips?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! I am finally seeing a rheumatologist in mid December (1 year after symptom onset) and am wondering if anyone would like to give me some advice or tips on what I should expect? I get fairly flustered with doctors so I'm thinking of writing down a chronological list of my symptoms..would that be appropriate? Would love to hear about your experiences. I am hoping he is a good doctor because this is going to cost me about $400! I had to go for private consult with no insurance as I was recently told that I would be waiting at least another 18 months for a public consult. Crazy stuff. But I'm just glad to be finally getting somewhere: I've just now discovered that the pain I thought had eased off has come back with a vengeance due to me attempting embroidery sad I am too young for this dammit! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I hear ya!!!! I think a chronology of your symptoms and list of them is good for you too as it will give you focus....the key here is not what you have but what will make you feel better and relieve you main symptoms. Pain is the most problematic for me and currently no one in the US is keen on pain meds so I’m having a problem with which Tylenol/Motrin and how much to take to not rot my liver or bleed out! Just kidding on that...but remember everyone they see has pain, or rash, or stiff joints....no surprise to them, be pleasant and open to try what they suggest, and find an advocate in their office to be your go to contact. We are here for you also....
  • Posted

I definitely would  write down all of your symptoms chronologically....as well as a separate list of symptoms that you may/may not think are related (foot pain, fatigue, digestion issues, skin/hair issues, eye issues, ulcers, etc).  Be prepared to describe the pains, intensity, how long it takes for pain to go away after you wake up in the morning, what makes it better, what makes it worse, over the counter meds you have tried (and failed).  

As far as the appointment goes, they will probably run more bloodwork, take some more X-rays if needed and possibly even order an MRI if disease is in spine and X-rays have already been done.  I did not start medicines right away after my appointment because they had to document that there was disease in my spine, which needed an X-ray followed by an MRI the following week.  I had experience symptoms for 10 months before rheum. appt, then had another 2 months before I was started on Humira.  Since my smaller joints (fingers, etc) did not improve as much as we were hoping over a few months, I then started Methotrexate 6 months later.  So, my point is, do not be discouraged if you do not have answers right away, or know the appropriate course of treatment.  As frustrating as it is, it is worth it in the end when you finally have been on the meds for a while and notice the different.  My entire journey has been going on about 2 years, and while I have had to get used to a "new normal" and don't know what the day will bring, I am much better off than when I was before I started treatments!

Good luck and keep us updated!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.