Appointment with consultnt.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

Sorry if this is a bit long but I have an appointment with a Consultant Urologist at Southmead Hospital in Bristol next week and want to make sure that I ask the right questions and make the best use of this appointment.

To cut the long story short I was born with horseshoe kidneys. I am 67 next month and they have never given me any trouble until now.

About a year ago I started having frequent UTIs. Eventually a GP thought I might have kidney stone and referred me to a urologist. He referred me to someone else who agreed to surgically remove the stone but said he wanted me to have a cystoscopy first.

So 2 or 3 weeks later I went to a local hospital to have this done.

The procedure was unable to be completed because I have urethral stenosis.

The consultant who had originally agreed to operate then referred me to someone else in Cheltenham.

I saw a urologist in Cheltenham in June.

He said the stone was about 27 mm in lower pole of kidney and was very difficult to get to.

He did however accept that I was by now in a lot of pain and he had to do something.

He suggested doing a laparoscopic transperitoneal pyelolithotomy as he thought keyhole surgery would be too risky to the liver.

He suggestd this could be a joint case with a urologist from Bristol.

He contacted the urologist in Bristol who looked at the scan and thought the stone was accessible through keyhole surgery. (PCNL)

The urologist at Cheltenham then rang me and advised me to go to the urologist in Bristol.

To be honest, I really don't care who operates any more as long as somebody does it.

These are the questions I am asking at Bristol.

If any one can give me any more information on what to expect I would be extremely grateful.

How likely is it you can do keyhole surgery?

If you get me into theatre and find you cannot do this are you going to do the bigger operation and if so will you do that straight away or will this be a joint case with with Mr Henderson at Cheltenham?

I understand I will be in hospital for 2 or 3 days and have a drain in my kidney. Is that right?

Is the drain like a stent?

If so when will the stent come out?

Is it relevant that the cystoscopy was unable to be completed because of urethral stenosis?

Is it at all possible that you might have to remove the kidney?

When can you do this operation?

I live on my own but have a warden on call. Will I be able to come straight home after my stay in hospital?

If anyone can think of anything else i should be asking please let me know.

Thank you for being patient with me and reading all this.

Good health to you all.

Sarah

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Sounds like those are good questions to ask. Last year I thought I was going to have to have the keyhole surgery bc I had a stone that was very large. Thankfully it didn't have to happen. Doc was able to go up with a cystoscope and blast it up pretty good. I wish u the best in all of this!

-stephanie

• Posted

Hello Sarah. How did you get on with consultant??? I too have a horseshoe kidney. I'm 46 and only found out 3 years ago. Been hell since then!!! I have a PUJ obstruction in the right side. I see my consultant every 3 months at the moment. Delaying the operation all the while I can pain manage. I have blood vessels surrounding the kidney, so I can't have keyhole surgery. It will be open surgery. 6-9 hours ish he reckons!!!

• Posted

You have an unusual name are you male or female?

I saw my consultant and he is happy to try keyhole surgery. Thinks he can get all the stone out but is not sure. Time scale of 2 or 3 months.

I was born with a slight murmur in my heart so have to have a heart tracing before I can have the operation.

Can't complain at that at all I  am certainly luckier than you I think.

Let me know how you are and when your operation is.

Sarah

• Posted

Hello. I am female. It's a family name. My great great grandmother was from Switzerland. 

I've had several stones removed via key hole and all went ok. He was going to attempt the Pyleoplasty keyhole, but the blood vessels have now ruled it out. 

• Posted

Just wondering how you are doing.  I had pcnl but they couldn't get it all. Had lythrottipsy but that did nothing.  Delaying any more surgery.  I don't want any more surgery.  No pain from stones so I have read lotsof people have stones and don't have them removed. 

How are you doing.  

• Posted

Morning. I had 2 very bad weeks at the beginning of November... ultrasound showed 2 stones.. one high in kidney, another had broken and was in process of breaking up. I am lucky I didn't end up in hospital as previous 3 Novembers and march I have!! Definitely passed one, but think the highest one is staying put. Seeing consultant on 19th. Can I ask why you are delaying treatment?? I know where you are coming from!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.