Appoitment to meet my surgeon

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya wondering if anyone can help I started my journey for bariatric sergury July 2014 I have attended the seminar and also the lighten up programme and also had my appointment with the bariatric nurse and dietician and they sent me away to make some changes before I meet the surgeon. I have got my appointment now and just wondering what happens at this appointment and may I find out when I will get the surgery and how long did you wait after meeting the sergeon, any help would be appreciated thanks smile xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

Are you having your surgery done on the NHS and do you know the surgery  you want to have? I had my initial appointment with surgeon in late August 2014 and I had my surgery on 31st March 2015. At the appointment the surgeon should go through all the options of weight loss surgery. I came to the appointment wanting to have a band and was adamant about it, still the surgeon went through the the other options explained to me that he thought the sleeve would be a better option but he would book me in for a band but if I wanted to change my mind I could. I myself did a lot of research and agreed that the sleeve would be a better option for me and I am very pleased that I changed my mind, and 6 weeks post surgery plus the 2 weeks pre-op diet I did before I am 2 pound from losing 3 stone 😀. Go into your appointment with an open mind even if you have already decided what surgery you would like. Look at the recovery times from each op, the doctors will only give you a rough estimate and it all depends on the job you do, I am still off work and expect to be for another 6 weeks as I am constantly on my feet with my job and just don't have the energy levels at the moment but that is just me and we are all different. If you have a good support network take someone with you so they can take notes etc. Research, research, research is the best advice I can give you, good luck.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply yes it's on the NHS I have decided to go for the band but was also looking into the bypass. I'm doing a lot on research on both these but also found this forum very helpful aswell, I'm glad ur doing well ur doing great with ur weight loss 😊 in hoping I can get a rough idea or maybe a date of when I can get it so I can get things out in place for work etc. I work in a call centre so lucky I'm no on my feet a lot. Ur information has helped a lot thanks xx
  • Posted

Hi Natalie. I had my surgery (a band) on the NHS. I saw my surgeon on the 15th December and had my surgery on 31st March (about 14 weeks). But I had been in the system quite a while before I actually got funding and was referred to the surgeon. I was thinking of having a sleeve but my surgeon guided me towards a band. I've had no problems since the surgery and since my pre-op diet to now (about ten weeks) I have lost about 15kg. I am now ready for my first fill and have an appointment next Monday. It does seem as if some hospitals/surgeons have their preferred surgical interventions: mine wasn't keen on sleeves whilst a friend of mine had a sleeve at a different hospital and has done fantastically. Whatever you go for, all the best.
    • Posted

Hi Deborah

Thanks for the reply in glad your doing ok after the surgery and well done on weight loss that's fantastic!! I'm hoping I don't have to wait a long time as I struggle the maintain my weight so was hoping i May get a EST time for sergury, I'm on diet and followed all steps I was advised by dietician and lost just under 3st all together and feel the longer it takes a May out weight back on and won't be able to get it sad xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.