Appreciate your support in understanding my case more

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thank you in advance for your support and feedback.

My case is 3 years old with lumber disks issues and sciatica and I have been living with pain for quite a while by now. My treatments included Osteopath, Chiropractic and Physiotherapy and they have proven great in reducing symptoms only. However, I am sure by now that I have a spine imbalance that is causing me recurring pain despite all exercises recommended for core strengthening and stretches.

I would appreciate your feedback that will help me understand my case and how to cope with it.

My MRI report says:

Transition vertebra at the lumbarsacral junction – Sacralization of L5. Based on that there is a grade 1 anterolisthesis at the level L4-L5 with a diffusely protruded disk, which contributes to complete obliteration at the left neural faramen and additional narrowing of neural foramina at this level caused by bony element.

Less advanced lumbar spondylosis is seen at the level L3-L4. Multiple schmorl nodules in the thoracic spine and mild thoracic/cervical spondylosis noted.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louayalawam,

It sounds like your vertebrae are moving... Did they tell you that they think you need a

fusion? Based on your MRI that's what it sounds like?! I'd love to hear what the recommendations are...

• Posted

Thanks Michelle, I am not sure about the medical terminologies but what I understoon from my orthodepic is that I might require a procedure to cut a little bit from the disk itself to free the sciatic nerve and give it more room to function.

But what I wanted to know if this case can be naturally healed or treated rather than operating (I am only 32 years old).

• Posted

Have you tried Pilates? Yoga? And in mean for at least a year?

I had that procedure done (it's called a microdiscectomy) and to make a long story short, it didn't work well, I still have pain AND I was left with permanent numbness in my led foot! I had my surgery done by a neurologist at Mass General. Stay away from surgery at all costs. Try everything, for at least a year! (I'm an RN) so, trust me, I know! Try massage, yoga, Pilates, chiropractor & accupuncture BEFORE surgery... Please trust me. Good luck.

• Posted

Michelle thank you for your care dear,

I have not tried yoga that long but I did on and off. Actually I do fitness exercises at gym ignoring the pain that I get afterwards just to stay fit and not to put on extra weight..

If possible you could let me know how long did it take you to recrover from your surgery and back to normal movement.

Wishing you best of luck and health  

• Posted

Hi,

The benchmark I the surgery for recovery is about 3 months. I did well after the first couple of weeks then ha a traumatic re herniation of the discs and needed emergency surgery to repair (that's when my nerve was permanently damaged) it's a real risk for this surgery that I never knew. I heard about "re herniation" but never thought it could be so traumatic! I'm 41, thin, healthy otherwise. Exercise doesn't usually help your symptoms much... Yoga, Pilates and core exercises will. It's been said if you leave it alone, within five years your symptoms go away on their own with the exercises I've mentioned. I

Wish I had not done the surgery. I'm permanently injured.

• Posted

Many thanks Michelle, I feel sad to hear that your nerve is permanently damaged and I wish you miracoulus healing.

As far as core exercises are concerned, I do agree that they help to strenghten the posture and structure.  I will take them into my serious consideration seriously after your words smile

Many thanks again for your help

• Posted

Assuming that it was your physio that ordered the MRI, have you taken up this matter with your GP since the MRI, and if so, what was the response? (I probably won't be able to reply to any reply you make for the next couple of weeks or so, as I am about to undertake surgery this week on this very problem, in this same area)

May I also ask your (approximate) age (30's, 40's and so on), as I believe that your age may reflect the treatment available to you?

Very best of luck in the meantime

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.