Apprehensive about taking sertraline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering on and off for years with anxiety and depression, I have been described Sertraline, the thought of taking it frightens me, after reading all the blogs, I am more confused about it, but once thinking that I also think, if I feel crap now then what’s the difference in feeling bit more crap to feel hopefully better. I feel at a crossroad . 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paulson, I can understand your feelings about taking sertraline, i take zoloft which is the same thing. I too thought long and hard about it but I was getting worse each day that passed with anxiety attacks. For me it was either try to get better or stay home all the time and miss out in life so I choose to take it. Now if you decide to take it , you will have some side affects in the beginning. I had increased anxiety. I thought I was dying. But I am into it for 12 weeks and it is improving so much. So you need to decide if this is worth it or not. Good luck, hope this helped you alittle.
    • Posted

Thakyou for you reply, I have decided to take it on low doses and then increase see how it goes , I will blog more often so maybe my experience may help others

• Posted

Honestly , I would not consider taking it . I have been on this since December.. I am at 100 mg and I hate this medication !   I would consider Wellbutrin. It has less side effects. Every increase and decrease on this medication is awful !    I want off of it !   I am going to begin another decrease and I am already dreading the side effects.  In my opinion this medication is wicked !   I am just being honest. I have suffered for many many years and this medication is not helping me at all !!!!
  • Posted

I am on day 1 , I have taken 25mlg , I feel like a wait as been taken off by just deciding to take it, as thinking of taken it and then not taken it, made me feel more anxious, so if I feel crap then so what, with out them I feel crap any way. 
  • Posted

Hi, 

As with all medicine it works for some and not for others. The same as side effects, different people have different experiences. I was put on sertraline last Dec, for anxiety and depression. my 1st time on an antidepressant. I was in such a bad place, So I decided I needed to take it to get better and get my life and my old self back. I did have some side effects but slowly they subsided and over the weeks and months I felt myself slowly  getting better. I am now about 90% me again, that’s with the help of the medication, my family , friends and colleagues. I hope you have the same results as me, I wish you the best of luck 😀o

• Posted

Thank you, good to hear that Sertraline as helped you, I hope I can have a similar experience, time will tell, 
  • Posted

Day 2 , taking Sertraline , still beating myself up about taking them, taken it anyway, there seems to be something built into me that just won’t take drugs, I am the same with paracetamol or ibuprofen lol 
    • Posted

I too was like that for years, but I came to realize that life throws you curves. I just wanted to be myself again. Good luck and may you overcome this challenge in life.😎

• Posted

Hi, most important, you need to believe that it will help you. It's essential. Just trust your doctor. Don't be afraid of side effects. No one died of them. This drug ia even prescribed for children! My side effects lasted for about 3 weeks, and now, 2 months after I am so much better. Good luck and give it a chance.

• Posted

Good morning, day 3 and I feel like a zombie, struggling to wake up. I have tried to speak to someone about how I feel but no one seems to be taking me seriously. I phoned the Samaritans, which helped a little, I am currently waiting to see someone from let’s talk, but been waiting 3 months now, tried to ring but can’t get through. I feel pressure from the job centre to get a job, but don’t feel ready yet, although I would love to get back to work. I really feel I am on my own to struggle with how I am. 
  • Posted

Hi Paulson.   I have taken sertraline for years on and off currently on week 2 of 50mg.  I was also scared initially but I read up on what to expect as the first few weeks you will have side effects, some people tolerate them with no probs and some struggle, the only way to know is to take it.   For me, it makes my anxiety high for the first week or so then it calms down.  I get quite an upset stomach and loss of appetite but that all fades away after a week or two.  I take omeprazole every day which helps my stomach a lot.   My advice is keep your diary as quiet as you can for the next few weeks and only do what you feel up to.  Be gentle with yourself and talk to someone about how you are feeling as your mind can play some tricks the first few weeks.  As you said, you have nothing to lose but a whole lot to gain.   Sertraline when it works, works beautifully.   Best of luck and keep posting.   
    • Posted

Thank you for positive words, I gues we all need to think more positive and hope for the best,and not dwell to much on the negativity, sometimes easy said than done, I will keep trying 
  • Posted

i have decided after only taking Sertraline for 3 days , that this drug is terrible, I feel sick,confused,dizzy,and is effecting my breathing, i I cannot take 2 months of this, i was better off being depressed, it as only added to my problems not solved them. Thank you to all who have given encouragement. And I hope they work for you, I would rather have a spliff, and a brandy lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.