April is the "D" day for my 2 knees

Posted , 2 users are following.

G'day people, it looks like the time has come and with the doctor's permission I will attempt to do it in one go. I am hoping somebody will be able to answer this question... for the last few years I suffered from stiffness on my lower or better say below my knee including pain on my feet (doctor said is arthritis) and also muscle stiffness above the knees as well.  As my knees got worse so is the stiffness, is this a common experience for people in our condition? would this get better after the surgery? I often wander if my life would improve after I've done this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Clemto, in my case, post double TKR was for my life style, the better. The value of linear healing just made sense to me.

Before TKR, my bending range of motion was 90° - 120° and straight was 6° - 10°. Like you, the post operation days were very stiff and painful to bend my knees above and below without meds and stretching. 60 days after surgery, I have “O” stiffness arthritic related pain in my knees but am coping with muscle repair. The range of motion now is better (125° -120° and -4° & -3°wink for both knees. I even lost the bigtoe numbing in my right foot that was diagnosed as neuropathy. However, If I put too much walking or load bearing stress on my knees, the night time pain was unbearable. I suggest you do as doctor and PT tell you, do not try to over do it in the first 6 to 8 weeks and you will be happy you did both knees. Once I slowed the daily walking exercises down, the night time pain has significantly lessened. Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks George, I will have an appointment on the 14th of this month (March) and although I am kind of afraid for the unknown ( first time surgery) I don't think I could return for the same thing If I was going to replace only one. and like you I am doing it to improve my lifestyle. Would you be able to explain the reasons of my muscle pain on my legs? is this due to changing the way I walk because the pain? Anyway, I need to hope for the best. Best regards Clem

• Posted

Likewise Clemento! As for the muscle pain I recommend you look at following: Check out this guy's posting.   https://patient.info/forums/profiles/chico-marx-949675

Chico Marx has been there and done it.  He has great advice and reading his post help me get over my depression with Total Knee replacement recovery.   

I would work with a good physical therapist or trainer to do everything you can to do strengthen the muscles around your knees if you haven't already.   

You might want to see another doctor.  Not sure where you live but if you have access to a teaching hospital, they are normally more up to date on the latest medical advice and methods.  

• Posted

Update: 24th April is the day but the surgeon convinced me to do the right one as this is the worst one. I was hoping to get rid of the problem in one go but he might be right after all he knows best. Cross my fingers. Cheers Clem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.