Aquablation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Phase 3 study has been completed. Google aquablation study. Seems to be good results.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi i have also been waiting for any updates on this i was offered this on a trial im going to see if i can still get on it in the uk.
    • Posted

I looked into the trial they were doing at a local urologist. The trial was already full. That said since it a study comparing Aquablation with TURP I doubt I would have participatef. No way am I going to have TURP. Looks like they can preserve all sexual function.
    • Posted

I agree no way would i do that if Turp was a possibility i will have to check with the uro!
  • Posted

Good news!

This has been FDA approved.

Our team will be training with it in early December to become a center of excellence.

Look to see this being offered widely over the next year.

• Posted

That's good to hear. I wonder if Insurance will cover it. If not what out of pocket cost will be. I wonder what type of results they've had regarding retrograde ejaculation.

• Posted

They will likely use the "TURP" CPT code with a modifier and possibly another (currently billable) code along with it, so it most likely will be 100% covered.

The results have been good from what I recall with retrograde ejaculation. I believe a preliminary study was 0, and a more recent one was around 10-20%

• Posted

The Aquablation stats are really good. There is a very informative video on the Aquablation website where they go over all of the stats. It looks like the retrograde problem is about 6.9% using the Aquablation technique. 

[AQuablation: Clevien-Dindo 1 score of 6.9%.] Clavien-Dindo 1 = problems with either Erectile Dysfunction, Incontinence, or Retrograde Ejaculation. Anyway the percentage was 6.9% and all CD1 events were anejaculation [retrograde ejaculation]. 

Also, because no heat is used, there will not be any nerve damage because of heat. Heat, even in proximity to a nerve, without direct contact with a nerve can cause damage because the water in our bodies is conductive of heat. So, prolonged heat in one location can increase the potential for nerve damage, even without directly contacting the nerve.

Have a look at the attachment.

​If I have made any incorrect assumptions, perhaps JerseyURo can offer some insight.

Best- J

• Posted

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so maybe I'm reading chart wrong. Looks like the chart says there was only a 24% chance of retro with TURP. My understanding is TURP pretty much guarantees retro.  

• Posted

Hi Unclefester- Looks like you're right. From what I remember reading about the old TURP, with the spinning Tungsten blade, the retro was supposed to be 90% [and the Green Light was supposedly 70%.] These are the stats for the study though, I guess. Maybe have a look at the Aquabeam website and watch the video to see what you get out of it. Best- J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.