Aquablation Experience 03/23/23

Posted , 12 users are following.

Thought that I'd share my Aquablation experience for those who might be interested. (Warning...long & detailed post, per requests to me)!

I just turned 63, I'm relatively fit/active (but truth be told that I'm more of a weekend warrior than a dedicated fitness individual). Luckily, I have no diabetes, cardiac issues, nor other comorbidities, but have suffered with BPH for about 12 years now.

I've been on BPH meds for about 11 years, starting with Tamsulosin. Due to undesired side effects, I switched over to Alfuzosin early on, but that only helped moderately, due to my having an enlarged median lobe.

My prostate was 71.4 cc (this morning, but it's much smaller now!). Over the past 11 years, my PSA has only increased (linearly) from 0.4 to 1.3., and a cystoscopy from a few weeks ago showed no strictures/scarring/lesions/stones nor issues other than my significantly enlarged median lobe and mild/moderate trabeculations.

Although I was very close to full retention on a number of occasions, I luckily always managed to squeak on by, and had never needed a catheter (until post-op today, as I'm currently being irrigated with a 22Fr 3 way catheter).

I arrived at the hospital (in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA) at 5:30 this morning, was brought into the OR at 7:30AM, was transferred to Recovery at 9:00AM, and was in my room by 10:30AM.

The only "pain" that I'm experiencing today is at the tip of my urethra, where the Foley exits. I did, however, have some persistent bladder spasms which were not painful, but were quite annoying/ discomforting as I continuously felt like I really had to urinate (even though my bladder was "empty", as it was draining into the bags). The nurses resolved most of my pain & discomfort with a combination of Lidocaine gel at the tip, and a script of Oxybutynin (for the bladder spasms). I was administered a few Extra Strength Tylenol tablets (acetaminophen) , in addition.

I have NOT yet experienced any internal "prostate" pain, nor testicular pain, but I only just had the surgery ~10 hours ago today.

My surgeon was just in to follow up with me, and explained that she spent significant time mapping the procedure (to try her best to balance flow concerns and to address my specific desire to try to maintain full functionality if possible) and that she performed 2 passes of the Aquablation, followed up by ~15 minutes of "fluffy tissue cleanup" and electrocautery. She felt that all went "textbook" well.

I'm pleased that I'm already seeing a significant clearing of the irrigation fluid (with an occasional small clot).

My biggest concern is the catheter removal and void test that is planned for tomorrow. Some on the boards have mentioned that the removal is relatively quick and painless while others have expressed that it's quite "unpleasant" (yes, even with the Foley balloon fully deflated). I'm also expecting the urination to sting/burn, but we'll see how bad it is

I'm confident that in a couple of months I'll have "no regrets" that I had the Aquablation done, and will have a significantly improved quality of life.

5 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Jonathan

It's great to read all your successful journey with Aquablation. I'm 11 days away from my Aquablation procedure. I just turned 66 and pretty fit and healthy. I am pre-diabetic and Vit D deficient at times and low potassium at times. Pre urinary retention I was working out daily and running 5k's. I can't wait to get back to that and planning our retirement travels we cancelled during covid.

I have had my catheter in for 6 months now, during I've had another trip(blockage in catheter) to the ER for retention and 3 UTI resolved by antibiotics. My delay had mostly been appealing my insurance Kaiser Permanente to refer me outside cause they don't offer Aquablation in Calif yet. Rumor is at the end of this year they are going to have first Aquablation done before going wide spread. I am Medicare also and surprised they didn't assist in any way. I should have only appealed once but really thought they would help. Finally I dis enrolled Sept 1rst from Kaiser and now Medicare with Blue Cross Anthem. Medicare 80% and Anthem the remaining 20%.

My urologist is 2.5 hours away in San Carlos , Ca and will do the procedure at Sequoia Hosp in RedWood City, Ca. I have family in the area we will be staying with so that's going to workout great.

It looks like you're almost 6 months post opp. How is everything now? Any retrograde or incontinence ? Like you those were my big concerns. Specially the incontinence if I had to pick one over the other.

Thanks for sharing a well a wonderful and well informed post about your experience.

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.