Aquablation for BPH

Posted , 38 users are following.

Very promising new treatment for BPH now in clinical trials (Water Study):

PROCEPT’s AquaBeam combines image guidance and robotics to deliver Aquablation, a waterjet ablation therapy that enables targeted, controlled, and heat-free removal of tissue for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms as a result of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

2 likes, 366 replies

366 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is interesting - thank you for posting. If anyone has participated in the trials or knows of anyone that has, please pass along whatever info you may have.
  • Posted

Nothing new. There are a number of such procedures  but few are done mostly due to insurance problems.
    • Posted

Here in the UK we think that Americans have a much wider choice than we NHS patients but you have a different set of restrictions imposed on you.
    • Posted

Hello Derek, please I have a problem and I need your help or anybody that can help. I was diagnosed of BPH and I took duodart, that is a combination of 0.4mg tamsulosin and 0.5mg dutasteride. But after 10 days, I started having incontinence to the extent that once I try to sleep or rest, I get up with urine all over me. I have since stopped the drug. Please any advice on what to do and how to effectively treat my BPH? I will appreciate it if you can be of help.
    • Posted

Hi wisdom, it would be better if you give more information about your situation. How long have you have BPH ? How bad and what are the symptoms ? Have you have any surgeries? The more we have, the better we can help. Hank
    • Posted

Wisdom;

you may be in overflow incontinence.

You should see your urologist to measure your flow rate, prostate volume, and post-void residual.

Also, the medication you are on is very expensive; the dutasteride component should only be reserved for men with very large prostates and severe symptoms; also, that medication will take the better part of a year before it is effective.

• Posted

I've not had any surgery and its over a month I was diagnosed of BPH. Since taking duodart, I've been having incontinence and I took the duodart for 10 days. I've since stopped it since I have no control over my urine plus its very expensive coming from this part of the world. I wish there are better and cheaper alternatives. Thank you Hank!

• Posted

Please do you know a better alternative? I'm in Nigeria and not every medication is readily available. Please I really I'm worried. Thank you Jersey

• Posted

What are your BPH symptoms ? How bad are they ? How old are you ? I agree with Jersey. Duodart is too much a combo med for some one with mild symptoms. Maybe it is why you have incontinence. People usually start out with only alpha blocker part of the Duodart, which is flomax.

There are other alpha blockers like doxazosin, or alfuzosin, which are dirt cheap. I like doxazosin. You can adjust the doxazosin dosage to your needs, by pill splitting. I am not sure you can do that with others.

Hank

• Posted

Good morning Jersey.  I need to ask you a question.  Waiting for a reply from my urologist he was on vacation.  Sunday I felt a twinge while I was seating at my computer.  Felt I had to go to the bathroom. Went in and stood by the bowl. And when I got ready to pee some drops of blood came out and fell on my foot.  Stopped and then started to pee Urine was a reddish color with some spics in it some burning.  Same color all day Sunday and when I woke up Monday.  A lot of back pain and groin pain.  To me it sounds like prostatitis but where would the blood come from.  I peed at 2 PM Monday and it was the same but small spics and a couple of pieces the size of instant potato flakes.  Did not pee the rest of the day.  Took a hot bath at 2 AM this morning to see if I could pee.  no luck.  I finely went at 8 AM this morning color was better did not look red.  still back pain and groin does not feel right.  Also the other day Sunday semen was a pink color.  Have not try anything again.  What did you think.  Like I said I do have prostatitis but where did the blood come from .  Thank you for being on here  Ken  
    • Posted

Thank you so very much Hank. I guess its the duodart. I do hope my incontinence stops since I've stopped taking it. Thanks once again.

• Posted

Ken, I think you have stones. Small enough they can travel through the urethra and scratch or cut the urethra or prostate. Big enough they can clog the urethra and cause AUR. Hank

• Posted

Thanks Hank.  That could be but who knows.  My urologist thinks it from the first time I did CIC which was 2 weeks ago.  It told a lot to get it in the first time.  But that was 2 weeks ago.  Why would I have blood dipping from the penis now.  He told me that blood comes with doing CIC sometimes but he thinks it came from the sphincter which he said that I did not damage.  He also told me that if I start to see blood again to come in and he will do a Cystonscope  Thank you  we will see  Ken 
    • Posted

Frank,

Didn't you say before that this all started right after when you tried to self cath without lubrication? If that's the case, then maybe you irritated something in the process, be it the prostate or urethra.

Jim

• Posted

Wisdom,

Self catherization may help with your incontinence and buy you some time as well.

Jim

• Posted

Thank you Jim but I'm sorry I don't know how to self catherize.

• Posted

Jim this is Ken not Frank.  The catheter are self lubing I had a little blood on the tube but nothing dripping like the other day.  It has been 2 weeks why would I have blood dripping now.  I'm doing fine now no blood and peeing ok.  Will see what is up in a few days  Ken 

• Posted

Ken, it happened to me. A small stone crystal came out and cut the inside of my penis, near the tip. Red blood dripped out. You should have a CT scan. They say it can identify stones very well. If a stone blocks your urethra, sometimes CIC can push it back inside the bladder. Hank
    • Posted

Thank hank.  Going to watch for a few days to see if I have anymore coming out.  So far nothing on the last one  Ken
    • Posted

Sorry for the mix up Ken, I believe Frank also had a bleeding issue from a non lubricated catheter. Hope things resolve soon.

Jim

• Posted

Good afternoon Hank.  I think it is more stones.  Last night before I went to bed.  I saw a few drops of blood on the tip of my penis.  Cleaned myself and went to bed.  Got up at 6:30 AM to go to the bathroom.  Took a while to start but when I started it was all blood and some clogs or pieces of something.  Still felt I needed to go to the bathroom but could not go.  Took a hot bath and sat in the hot water for 10 or 15 minutes.  No go.  Got out and ran the water.  Took me a while but when I started it scared the crap out of me more blood and then I felt this pressure and something coming out.  I could feel it in the urethra.  It was a clog or something about 4 to 6 in. thick in the middle.  After that came out I started to pee urine  It was pink but urine.  I sent a e-mail to my doctor to see what he want to do.  I should have went to the hospital but I'm leaving for Georgia for a few day to see family.  And I did not want them to keep me.  I do have some pain in the bladder, groin and the penis. I have some pain pill I can take with me.   I just like to know what in the world is going on and were did all of this come from.  I stopped my blood thinner for a few days.  Maybe it will help with the bleeding. I can't see CIC doing this. I know you get some blood sometime but not peeing blood.  Did it 2 weeks ago.  I hope I was not to rough and messed something up.  We will see.  It new year is starting with a bang.  Take care  Ken  

• Posted

Ken, seems like you had stones before you even started CIC. Even though CIC can cause it, it is more likely something else like surgeries, injuries, retention, Foley catheter, etc. I start to think many of us have stones, especially the ones with surgeries done.

Try to pee into a bottle. Maybe you'll catch some. In the mean time, carry catheters with you, you may have to push the ones that are stuck back into the bladder.

Stone is one of the reasons I still self cath once a day. There are always white sediments at the end of my cath. That means if I don't cath, they might lump together and turn into stones. What I found out is I tend to have stones if I don't cath for a while, or not drinking enough. When you have stones, you'll get all the BPH symptoms. So some people probably mistaken them for something else. 

BTW,have a great trip. Hank

• Posted

Thanks  Yes going to take a few just in case.  There was just some must blood and that tissue or clogs. It's just a lot to wake up to.  Thanks again  Ken 

• Posted

Yes, CIC can cause stones, if you injured yourself doing it. Calcium sediments love to hang on to injured sites, and they can lump together there.  Strictures can also be good sites.

In the mean time, CIC offers me protection in removing sediments and small stones. Hank

• Posted

Yes...I got a stricture from kidney stones about 14 years ago.  But did not find out about it till 2014 when they could not get a catheter in me and could not.That is how I found my urologist.  I have passed stones before but never with this much blood.  The first 2 times I pee this morning was all blood and a bunch of flesh or whatever that was...Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.