Aquablation in USA?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Does anyone have first hand experience with a doctor they can recommend is the US? I live in the Pacific Northwest, and there are no doctors performing the procedure near me. I will have to travel somewhere.

I have been in contact with Procept, and you can actually search for Urologists on their website, but I was hoping to find someone on here that could recommend a doctor.

I had an FLA procedure done 3 years ago. It wasn't as great as it has been for others. It worked for almost 1 year really well, but has kind of tapered off. I want to have a more robust procedure done now, but would rather avoid TURP and Holep, but will go that way if I have to.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Check out USC Urology. There's a doc there that was involved in the early trials in India before the procedure was brought to the US.

• Posted

Mike,

Im reaching out to you because you are the only one who has posted recently on this forum and you had it done. I am trying to decide if Aquablation is a good long term solution, with minimal side effects.

Let me know how it's going for you now. Are you having any dribbling issues? How strong is your stream now? Were there any postop issues? Note: these are the questions I wanted to ask offline, but you can answer here to inform all.

I am hoping to hear back from you or anyone else who has had this procedure done.

• Posted

Gary I just saw this - it's hard to navigate patient.info in an organized way. You have some questions I did not cover in my other post today

1. Yes minimal side effects, I was told there might be less ejaculatory fluid that is the only side effect long term. It's only been around for 2 years but absolutely no reason to believe it's any less effective than any other procedure that ablates the prostate.
      2. No dribbling - very strong stream. Bear in mind my bladder was a bit damaged so it could be different for others, for me it's extremely strong like a jet if my bladder has over 150 mls - at night not as much.
      3. I described post op, the catheter which was in for 3 days caused violent spasms. I don't know if true, but I was told the bulb is put into prostate to prevent some bleeding and that is why. When you get the spasm it feels like you need to pee, then there is a lot of pain at tip - this is referred pain from the prostate and even after catheter is removed that pain continues. The spasms also continue but not as violent for a couple of days. There are drugs for the spasms, whatever I took didn't make any difference.

If I had to do again I would ask for more pain killers/narcotics. I couldn't take advil or aspirin even if they would help which I doubt they thin the blood which is not what you want.

It probably sounds worse than it is, and it's definitely not a quick and easy recovery, having said that they benefits of no sexual side effects might be worth it. Plus I suspect the flow is better than what they can achieve with other methods since the surgeon can take out precisely what is causing the obstruction.

• Posted

Gary, what size is your P. Mine is 220 g - Can HOLEP do one that size? WHat about Aquablation for a 220g?

• Posted

Motoman,

See my comments to Micheal73062 posted today 4/20/21.

Looks like we are all in the same boat looking for the best lasting treament, without the side effects.

• Posted

There are two urologists performing Aquablation on Procept's website less than an hour from me. The issue I have is that the hospitals they're associated with don't necessarily have the best reputations. Since Aquablation requires a hospital stay this concerns me.

Unless I can find other nearby docs who aren't on Procept's website, I would have to travel to find a better option. Not sure how I feel about that.

(My other option is to get Holep done locally by one of the top docs but I really want to avoid the RE and it's not clear if he does the E-sparing procedure.)

Does anyone have experience with docs in the Mid-Atlantic?

• Posted

Let me know what you find out. I did a search and all I found was placed in the bay area and southern CA. I have kaiser so my options are limited with that too. I am probably going to have to go with urolift and do aquablation in the future if needed. I am 47 so may need more than one procedure in my life.

If you haven't already, there is a create podcast called the Prostate Health Podcast, where episode 30 dicussed aquablation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.