Aquablation Procept Biorobotics

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone heard of the Aquablation procedure for BPH? It looks like a newer treatment with using water (but not like Rezum) and robotics to do the procedure. One of the comments mentioned is being able to treat larger prostrates; 80 to 100

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's only available from Neil Barber in London. New. Jetwash inside your prostate. Instead of laser. "The AquaBeam system is a first of its kind, image-guided system delivering a treatment utilizing water and robotics for the targeted removal of prostate tissue. AquaBeam combines image guidance and robotics to deliver Aquablation, a personalized waterjet tissue resection modality. Under real-time image-based ultrasonic guidance, AquaBeam enables surgical planning and mapping, and allows for a controlled resection of the prostate with a high-velocity saline stream".

He claims to avoid retro 93% of the time. Presumably then, this doesn't work (is not used) on top of prostate. That'll presumably mean that frequency issues may not be as well addressed, as they arise from growth on top. But would presumably address flow rate issue. I wonder how he prevents the jetwash tunnelling too far out of the prostate; how does he limit jetwash range ? He seems to be sole source of info.

• Posted

on top of prostate, do u meant medium lobe protruding into the bladder?

Barber is one of the author in a aqua clinical trial. i would believe what he said. indeed, 93% retro is one of the major advantage of aqua.

• Posted

i meant 93% NO retro. sorry.

• Posted

Hey Buddy

I don't know if you got the other post

But the company send me a e-mail that they will be opening up a center in New York

Have a good day

Also got a e-mail from Neil Barber

Hope your well.......Ken

• Posted

there were a lot of discussions in this forum and a great deal of data from clinical trials . please do a search.

• Posted

I see that I should more carefully word my question. Has anyone in this forum actually had the Aquablation procedure. There are clinics in the USA who are doing them now, two of which are in Southern California. (there are no clinics in my area unfortunately) I'm currently scheduled for a Button Plasma TURP and wondering if the Aquablation would be worth pursuit. My prostate was measure at 90-100 and TURP was the procedure offered by the doctor. The doctor said my prostate was too large for Rezum. Age 60. I've had typical symptoms of BPH for a few years then last month hit with sudden urinary retention. Now doing intermittent CIC along with Flomax twice a day.

• Posted

What are the names and locations of the two clinics in Southern California? Are there any in Northern California? Does insurance and/or Medicare cover it?

• Posted

There is one in Northern Cal. El Camino Urology Medical Group. Karpman and Lai are the doctors. The one in SoCal is the Keck Hospital at USC. I'm not sure if private insurance or Medicare cover it. In my case, I am still under my deductible so it is all out of pocket.

• Posted

no need to be careful whatever comes to ur mind, we are no doctor here.

if u could wait, i would suggest u hold off doing bp turp temporarily until u have a chance to understand the consequence and if there are better option to meet ur objective. it could take u a month or more.

as regard to aqua, the answer is yes. also i had post a huge amount of data from several clinical trials. except i don't remember where in this forum.

• Posted

Lance, you have the luxury of CIC and flomax. There's no reason to rush into any procedures. The last time I was offered TURP, I changed urologist. Hank

• Posted

I don't understand why some men do Flomax or something like it along with CIC. If you're doing CIC there reallyl no reason to take drugs... unless you're trying to cut down on the frequency of cathing. Perhaps you're hoping to try to go without CIC and see if you can live without it eventually when the drugs kick in, if they do. I was concerned about the blood pressure effects of Flomax and other sides

• Posted

Keith, I am doing CIC and taking Doxazosin. Yes, to reduce CIC frequency, 1/2 vs 4/5. Another reason is it feels good to be able to clean my plumbing by peeing naturally. I like the blood pressure side effects. Actually, I need it. Hank

• Posted

Hi Lance

I had this procedure in London 5 days ago.

There are others here on this site somewhere who have had it, but I find it very difficult to search and find previous posts. One of the guys who I remember had it last year was called Grant - I will try to find his posts.

I am somewhat unique in that previously I have had two urolift operations and had 9 pairs of tags inserted. My prostate was measured in the new year at 123cc.

I also seem to be pretty unique in having a tiny max capacity of my bladder which was measured under anaesthetic some years ago as about 300cc.

As for the aquablation: the surgeon said it went well, I have hardly any bleeding, but at this moment I am very concerned as my peeing has been actually getting progressively worse over the last few days, such that I have all the bad symptoms of difficulty starting, pain urinating, constricted flow, stop and start and sensation of bladder not emptied. These symptoms at this second are possibly worse than before the op, but I hope they are due to temporary inflammation. I have no sign of infection

• Posted

I believe that even laser surgeons can avoid retro IF they avoid work on TOP of prostate. e.g. my HOLEP surgeon Marc Laniado now offers ejac-preserving HOLEP (not offered in July 2016 when I had mine). I am sure this comes at the price of, if your prostate was bulging up on bladder base, less amelioration of frequency issue. The jetwash thing sounds like a variant of laser really. I presume the device goes in same way. I wonder if the jetwashed tissue is granular enough to be tested for cancer like Holep chunks, or too mashed up to do that histology. I wonder if swelling is same as with laser, I wonder if it can anneal blood vessels as well or, I expect, you might get more bleeding with jetwash as no heat to anneal ?? How does Neil Barber prevent bleeding ? Is it as painful to pee after .... I guess yes, you're still peeing thro a great big open wound, the inside of the prostate. Is it done under general ? Interesting, so many questions. Men who had it, please post !!!

• Posted

i have incomplete understanding of this topic, but my understanding is that the proven ejaculation preservation technique work exactly opposite to what u had said. it avoids cutting tissue near the bottom of the prostate. also the jetwash thing is not a variant of laser. perhaps, i am just don't understand enough.

• Posted

just wondering if u have more info on Dr Laniado ejac-preserv holep.

there is a trade off with and without this technique?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.