Aquablation recovery progress

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello Everyone - I am taking the suggestion posted on Ihsan's discussion regarding aquablation, that all of us who have experienced aquablation should start separate discussions to report on our respective recoveries. I agree it will make our reports easier to follow.

I have posted about eight reports on Ihsan's discussion. To summarize, I had aquablation on December 15th, which was approximately seven weeks ago. In short, I feel great now. I am enjoying perfect urinary function. The stream is powerful, I have total control, I have plenty of warning, and trips to the bathroom are spaced a reasonable three or so hours apart. I can sometimes hold out longer if necessary, but the doc says I should try to urinate at least every three hours during the day. I wake up only once per night, which is a huge improvement, and when I use the bathroom during the night, I have no difficulty emptying my bladder at all. Sex is totally back to normal, with full function restored. I may not have much more news to report going forward, as I think I have this procedure in the rear-view mirror at this point.

If you read any of my earlier posts, you would have noticed that I did have difficulty with the recovery symptoms. I was impatient, no doubt, and I was not adequately prepared or informed about what to expect. On further reflection, I fault myself for not asking more pointed questions and for not insisting upon a detailed explanation of what to expect in the recovery process. But we can't go backwards, and at this point I am looking forward to a healthy future. I am really pleased with the results of my aquablation, and I would recommend this procedure for anyone suffering from BPH. However, I do caution guys considering this procedure that the recovery can be tough in the first few weeks, and you need to prepare yourself for the recovery process. You will need to allow for a few weeks off of work, be mentally prepared to be incontinent for a period of time, and be prepared to experience some discomfort. In addition to the incontinence and bloody urine, I also experienced several weeks of constipation, painful erections, and sharp pain in my urethra. I experienced a bout of depression during the recovery phase, partly because I was worried about what my future was going to be like. I also got some kind of infection that caused testicular pain. Other than the testicular pain, the pain was not severe most of the time, but I really did not feel great for about three or four weeks.

The good news is that, after I got over the hump, I started to feel terrific. BPH had been causing a major disruption in my life, and that seems to be behind me. I feel almost euphoric being able to control my bladder so well, which I haven't been able to do in years.

If anyone wants to reach out with any questions, please feel free. I go back to my urologist in early April, and I will definitely post an update then. I will also post any significant updates, but for now I would say that everything is great.

Good luck to all - Ed

3 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

If you had the kind of work where you worked from home on the computer (no lifting, etc), how long would you say it would be before you could have returned to work?

• Edited

Owen, I had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to working from home (sitting at computer on a donut pillow) the following Wednesday, so I'd say an 8 day recovery to get back to work. My catheter came out after 48 hours. But the overall healing takes longer.

• Posted

Does depend on the type of work. My Uro stated allow 4-5 weeks before undertaking any physical work, lifting etc. I was cautious and patient, and has payed off.

• Posted

thanks. I took my catheter out on day 5. No real pain to speak of, just some discomfort. Took 2 weeks sick leave so staying off work till then.

• Posted

Thanks Ed68391. Very encouraging. Sounds like 7 weeks is the magic number for you! I will post my aquablation story on a fresh thread. Appreciate any feedback.

• Posted

Hello friends i had my aquablation procedure 8 days ago. Went into surgery at 7:45. In recovery at 9:30. Stayed in hospital overnight and was sent home with a Catheter. While catheter was still in my urine was clear and light yellow. I did have some bloody urine seeping from catheter but it was minimal. The catheter remained in for five days. I immediately began to have decent streams but they were mixed with some dripping streams. No clots or tissue at this point. I am 8 days out of surgery and am completely pain free. However, my urine is light pinkish at this time. I do see a small amount of blood seepage when I first begin to urinate. Once the flow starts it's pretty clear. I am experiencing some leaking when I change from a seated position to standing. I also notice that when I cough, I get some slight leakage. Many trips to the bathroom. So having said all this, I was hoping to get some feedback and advice as I go further into recovery. Drinking about 3L of liquid daily. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions. Tony

• Posted

Thank you to everyone in this forum to help make the decision on going forward with aquablation. Just had it done first week of Feb24. Akron Ohio with Dr.Canterbury. Surgery was easy I guess(slept thru it). Stayed 1 day in hospital then the garden hose removal (whoa no fun there). Stayed home for 3 days and went back to work and took it easy for around 10 days. Been peeing high pressure blood for a couple weeks w/intense burning. Starting to minimise towards the end of week 3. Still some clots here and there. But for real I empty my bladder in like 10 seconds compared to 5 minutes. So far very satisfied. Doc says I have the strongest flow he's seen so far!!

• Edited

Thanks everyone for posts. Went ahead with aquablation procedure Feb 7. Outpatient, no hospital stay. Lots of blood in urine first few days. Took out foley catheter myself day 5. Have not had much pain: mostly discomfort while catheter was in (i only took normal ibuprofen). Had a bit of incontinence but that is starting to clear up. Only up twice last night to pee: Woot! I guess my surgeon did a great job... Dr Corica, Tucson AZ, St Josephs Outpatient Surgery Center

• Edited

I had my aquablation on Feb 8. Catheter inserted and stayed in for 5 days. I'm 9 days post and never urinated pink. I have been and still am clear. A bit uncomfortable at times urinating but no pain throughout. I would seep blood onto my guards a bit but that now is slowing down.

I'm usually a gutless baby with these types of things but this hasn't been bad at all. The only problem I still have, is a very sore throat and mouth from the intubator. Seeing my ENT this week. i highly recommend this for anyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.