Aquablation Surgery - May 22, 2023

Posted , 13 users are following.

Sorry this is going to be a long post.

On May 22, I had my Aquablation surgery. For background information I am a very physically active 60-year-old with no other underlying conditions. I have been dealing with gradually worsening BPH symptoms for probably the past 7 years. I was not on any medication for BPH or any other medication. The main reason the BPH was detected was an increase in my PSA levels which prompted my GP to send me to a Urologist. The first urologist ordered an MRI which showed an 80 cm prostate with a large median lobe protruding into the bladder. The initial urologist wanted to perform a simple prostatectomy. Upon researching this and the risks, I began the search for a safer and less invasive alternative. After much research and postings from users on this and other sites, I decided that Aquablation was the procedure I wanted to pursue. It was less invasive, had less risks and allowed me to get back to my lifestyle quicker. I found a new urologist and it took approximately 2 months to get his testing done to satisfy the insurance company that the procedure was necessary.

There were no pre-op requirements other than the standard no food or drink after midnight. Arrived at the hospital at 10:00 and moved into surgery at about 12:15. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes and then moved into recovery. Awoke in recovery with no pain due to meds pushed during surgery. The surgery recovery nurses had already started the constant bladder irrigation process. They warned me to make certain that I or whoever was with me to watch the catheter collection bag as well as the bags of sterile water they were using for the irrigation. They said that as soon as the collection bag got about ¾ full, or the irrigation bags got about half empty to notify the floor nurses so that they would be switched out in a timely manner. I thought this was good advice, but foolishly thought it was probably unnecessary for me to monitor this. I would later find out how valuable their advice was.

Moved into a private room by 2:30 and all seemed to still be going well. My pain tolerance is generally very high so when they asked if I needed anything for pain or bladder spasms, I told them no. I honestly had no idea what bladder spasms were when they asked about that. I asked the nurse, and she could not really explain it, but said I would know if I had them, so I decided against any medication. They continued to switch out the irrigation bags about every 45 minutes to an hour and had 2 bags flowing into the catheter at full open speed. I noticed after a couple of hours a feeling of fullness which I didn’t understand since the inbound solution was supposed to be flowing back out the catheter also. This began to be uncomfortable and so I asked for a little bit of pain medication. The pain meds helped to relieve the pressure feeling. About an hour later I had a sudden onset of pain and felt like my bladder was full to capacity and about to explode. Notified nurses of this and by the time they arrived in the room, pressure was even more intense, and I had blood and what appeared to be clots rapidly coming out from around the catheter. This lasted for about 10 minutes and honestly was probably the most intense pain I have ever experienced. None of the nurses seemed too concerned about it nor could they explain what had happened. I thought that it was probably that some debris had just blocked the catheter and it was a one-time event. I WAS WRONG!!!. This situation was repeated about an hour later at which time the nurse called in the charge nurse who said that the catheter probably was clogged and would need flushed. I thought this sounded like a great idea and thought they would immediately proceed, only to learn that they did not have orders from my doctor to flush the catheter so they would have to call him to get the orders. The pressure and pain this time lasted about 20 minutes until it subsided. They managed to locate the doctor and got the orders and flushed the catheter. It was obvious in watching the flush that there was much debris in the catheter. After the flush all was going well again. The charge nurse also said that in addition to the blockage, the pain was probably due to bladder spasms and started the bladder spasm medication. Everything got back to normal after this and the continued with the irrigation. Then a shift change occurred and a new set of nurses came on duty. There appeared to be less nurses on this shift because they were not in the room as often checking on the catheter output bag or the input bags for the flush. I never could see the catheter output bag so I had no way of seeing if it was getting full, but I could see the input bags and they now had 3 of them on the pole so they did not have to switch them out as often. I had finally managed to doze off for a few minutes when I was awakened with the pain and the pouring of blood around the catheter. When I called for assistance this time, they immediately noticed that the catheter collection bag was beyond capacity and so that was what was causing the issue this time. Once the bag was emptied the pain and pressure began to diminish and everything was settled back in about another 5 minutes. They then began to check and empty the catheter bag more frequently. Unfortunately, this function was performed more by an aide who was not the same person who was responsible for hanging the sterile solution for the bladder flush. About 2 hours later, I again felt the pressure and pain increasing and called for the nurse. She arrived and noted that the sterile solution bags were all empty and changed them out. Once the flow started from them, the pain continued to increase rapidly. I explained to her that they had flushed the catheter previously and this helped. After getting the right supplies the flush was performed and they found that the catheter was definitely blocked. They said that this was probably caused by the inbound flow stopping when the bags ran out. Everything was restarted and everything was good for the remainder of the night with no further spasms or blockages.

The doctor made rounds the morning after the surgery at around 7:30 and said all looked good as far as the color of the discharge so he was going to discharge me. He does not remove the catheter until 3 days post procedure, so I was sent home with a catheter and told to make an appointment for Thursday to have it removed. I arrived home and settled in by 10:30 and thought I was finally going to get some rest. I managed to fall asleep for about 3 hours when I woke up again with the pain and pressure. This passed in about 15 minutes. I felt that again it was due to a combination of the bladder spasms and debris blocking the catheter. I did not want to call the doctor and have to go back to the hospital, so I checked online medical videos and found several videos where doctors were instructing patients how to flush their own catheters. Fortunately, there is a medical supply store close to my house, so my wife was able to go and get the necessary supplies. When she returned, I flushed the catheter, and all was good for the rest of the afternoon. When I woke up later that night to take medications, I felt the pressure building again so I flushed it before it got to the pain point. I had to do this a couple of times more before the catheter was removed on Thursday, but these were all preemptive instead of waiting until the rush of blood etc.

Thursday afternoon I had an appointment to get the catheter removed. I thought it would require drinking water and then seeing if I could pee, but it did not entail me drinking. I arrived at the doctor’s office and the nurse said she was going to take a syringe and fill up my bladder and I should tell her when I felt like it was full and I needed to pee. She then placed several syringes of saline into the bladder until I told her it was at capacity. She then told me she was going to remove the syringe and the catheter, but for me not to pee until she told me to. The removal of the catheter was not painful. She then gave me a container to void in. Voiding went well, not the gush some people reported they have immediately, but a decent stream. After voiding, she said that I had passed because I had voided almost all of what she had placed into the bladder. The doctor came in and verified the void amount and said that he would see me in about 3 weeks. Said the main thing was to drink lots of fluids to continue flushing the bladder and to finish the antibiotic.

Arrived home and continued to drink plenty of water and Gatorade. Frequency was still there as well as a few bouts of urgency. I probably drank too much in hindsight but was concerned about not drinking enough. I went to bed that night and got up about every 2 hours. The steam initially was good, and I did drink more water after every trip to the restroom. When I woke up around 6:30 I found that the urgency was definitely there, but the stream was now very small and painful when I attempted to pee. I became concerned that if I called the doctor, it would mean a new catheter. I thought that maybe it was just a blood clot and if I moved around it would cause it to discharge. I walked around inside my house for about an hour during which time I stopped several times to pee. With each of these times the stream seemed to only get slightly better but still nowhere close to what I had the previous evening. I then remembered reading in someone’s prior postings about experiencing a similar situation and they took an ibuprofen and tried to pee again in about an hour and it had worked for them. I took an ibuprofen and one tadalafil tablet since this had initially been prescribed by my first urologist to relax the muscles to help urinate. Within the hour, I noticed that the stream began to increase and was back to the same flow as the previous day. The flow the rest of the day remained fine, and I went for a walk and walked for 3 miles. I tapered back my fluid intake after 8 PM that night and managed to sleep for 4 hours before I had to get up the first time.

Saturday morning was day 5 post surgery and day 2 post catheter. I have switched over to taking only regular Tylenol for pain and have discontinued taking the bladder anti-spasm medication since it was causing extreme dryness in throat and nasal passages. The stream is still staying the same and frequency and urgency seem to be improving. Still passing a few blood clots at times and taking Azo for the burning during urination. Walked 3 miles again today.

Sunday morning. My sleep last night was good. Slept for 6 ½ hours before waking up. I was able to pee quickly and go right back to sleep. No major differences today from Saturday.

Monday morning it has been a week now. I slept for about 6 hours tonight uninterrupted. I have discontinued all medications. There is an occasional burning sensation when passing a clot/scab or peeing afterwards, but not bad. Stream continues to see minimal improvement which fluctuates some prior to passing of a clot/scab. Urgency is almost non-existent. Frequency during the day is really hard to assess since I am currently drinking more water than I have in years. Even with the high volume of water, I am still able to wait an hour to 1 ½ hours before needing to pee.

I must say that even though the first 4 days were somewhat rough, so far, I am extremely happy with the results and have no regrets about having the procedure. I am HOPEFUL that I will get to resume running after week 2. Initially my doctor had said 2 weeks for running and 4 weeks minimum for biking. The day of surgery he told my wife 4 weeks for running due to having to spend a little more time on the median lobe. However, the next morning when we discussed it he said we would evaluate it as we got closer to the 2 week mark. I will continue to update this information as my recovery continues. I know that the information that was online here helped me tremendously as I was deciding on the procedure and perhaps more importantly giving me real life experiences of the procedure and the outcomes. Let me know if you have any questions.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Glad to hear your on the road to recovery.

Sounds like you got the full experience. Bladder spasms and clogged catheters are not sensations I wish on anyone. A blocked catheter is one of the worst feelings. I'd gotten pretty good at clearing the tube myself after a few episodes. Has the doctor checked your PVR following the procedure?

• Posted

No he has not done a PVR yet. I assume he will do one when I have my appointment on the 14th. I don't anticipate any problems with it since for some reason, I was not retaining that much prior to surgery, it just took a lot of work to get it out. I will update after the check-up.

• Posted

Basically the same here, but worse... Now today after 4 weeks, I am bleeding a little heavy again. My prostate was gigantic 310cm

• Posted

Hi Alex sorry to hear that the bleeding is back this long after the operation. Any indication why or does your doctor think this is normal?

• Edited

Thanks Randy for your post. Great information on your journey.

I am scheduled to have my aquablation on Monday, 6/5.

My prostate is 182cc's. (extremely large) There will probably be a lot of tissue and my doctor said I will probably go home with a catheter because of this.

I read that the irrigation should never run dry....that causes an issue because it needs the continuous flush to get rid of the tissue and clots from the procedure. I will keep this site posted on my post-op journey.

Like you I am looking forward to normalcy as I have had a indwelling catheter in since 3/30/23.

• Edited

Good luck Steve. Although everything is not back to 100% normal so far, I can tell you that it was the right decision for me. Let me know how your surgery goes.

• Edited

Randy, I am wondering if your urologist post op has you on Flomax(tamsulosin) and/or Procar (finasteride)? Or any other meds after your aquablation?

• Posted

No he had tried Flomax prior to the surgery to see if it provided any relief, but I had extreme back ache due to it and we discontinued it after 4 days. The only meds post-op were antibiotic, anti-spasm drug and Tylenol 3

• Posted

2 week post procedure tomorrow. No blood in urine any longer since Wednesday. No pain, Waking during the night generally only once but no more than twice. Urgency and frequency both continue to improve. Walked a total of 30 miles this week and am hoping to get the approval from doctor this week to start back running and sexual activity.

• Posted

Hi Randy - It sounds like you've had a rough time with the Aquablation recovery. I think you read my posts on here several months ago - I had Aquablation in December. I provided a lot of detail at the time. My recovery was a little more difficult than some other guys experience, but I did find that after about three weeks it got much better, very quickly. So hang in there, my guess is that you're over the worst of it.

I am writing to report that as of now, just about six months post-procedure, everything works perfectly. My urinary function is the same as it was when I was in my thirties; no urgency, normal frequency, no lack of control, no dribbling, no difficulty starting a urine stream, and no difficulty emptying my bladder completely. I usually wake up once per night to urinate, which is successful and uneventful. Sometimes I sleep through the night without getting up. Sexual function is perfect. No difficulty with erections, and no retrograde ejaculations.

I am a regular swimmer; when I was much younger I swam competitively. About a month post-surgery, with the doctor's permission, I resumed my regular swimming workouts, and I am back to swimming vigorously four times a week.

• Posted

thank you for the detailed post. I'm two weeks and 2 days post op. I'm really in a much different place with my experience. ill detail as best possible.

my state was 84 gram prostate with median lobe extremely blocked. have a history going back several years of prostatitis. Family history , pretty much every male on fathers side has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. That being the case i have been seeing a urologist every 6 months or the past 5-6 years. PSA has ranged widely over the time from 2.4 to as high as 4.4. Had been stable for about 1.5 years then in 2 subsequent visits went to 4.4. Decided should investigate further. Was on Flomax for the past 3 years and that helped but gradually over time really not significantly. upped dosage about 6 months ago to double or .8 per day.

August of last year had MRI and saw spots that were of concern. Largely due to staffing issues took until November to get biopsy. Biopsy , Praise God, was negative but during procedure found the issue with the Median lobe and some fair amount of "banding" in the bladder. Doc recommended getting through the holidays best possible and lets regroup and talk options after first of year. (2023)

During that time i did some internet sleuthing and learned about possible treatments. Terp, and UROLIFT seemed like most common procedures. I had a significant prostatitis flair and ended up talking to the Urologist who in passing mentioned Aguablation. Started researching that right away. Even before going to see doc for update i was really interested in the procedure.

Ended up that my doc doesn't do it but did regularly ref out to another group that has a history of several hundred procedures.

As i mentioned im 2 weeks plus a couple days post procedure as i write this.

My hospital visit was really, really seamless. Checked in around 6 am. a complication prior to my scheduled time pushed me back but i was up on hospital floor sometime after lunch. Cath. with traction was my number one complaint. Really uncomfortable and a stinging sensation every time i tried to reposition myself in the bed. Pain other than that was nothing.

From the time i was taken to the room until they took the cath out i had a untold number of bags of fluid ran through the bladder to flush it out. All day, all night, literally seemed like every couple hours they empty the collection bag and start another bag of fluid. I could not see the bag. Wife told me were several clots and stuff in the line and bag. Over the next several hours i noticed the color changed from dark to lighter and lighter. by the time they took out the cath it was pretty much looking like a very weak Koolaid. Took cath out around i was able to go straight away and pee. That was awesome!

Before able to discharge they said i needed to be sure was urinating on my own. Started drinking and did great. Was discharged around 2:00 / 2:30.

Since i live a couple hrs from where i had procedure doc had recommended i stay in a local hotel if possible for the night after discharge as a precaution over an infection or blockage. I was able to do that. That afternoon i walked up and down the hallway of the hotel and drank water to the point that i started to feel a bit nausea coming on so slowed down a bit. During this time i was not peeing all that great to be honest but it was a little better. Ate some food for supper and keep drinking water as well. walking in the hotel as well. This night was a super long one for me as around 10 or so i started having y

to pee every 15 -20 minutes. This was almost the same stream and issues as before surgery. Weak stream and dribbling. Sometime around 10 the next morning it seemed to ease off. During the night i was not sure how much blood was coming out as i was on a medicine called Pyridium to help with urination pain. it colors the urine a kind of rust/brown color. i did pass some noticeable clots as well.

First week home i did okay but still having to go to urinate about every hr / hr and half. but i also kept up the water intake. i was getting up 4-5 times a night for the first 5-6 nights. One week out and i think the 7th or 8th night i slept 6.5 hrs straight. When i woke i went straight to bathroom. I remember it felt like i couldnt start but that only last a couple seconds. I bet i urinated longer at that one time than i had in 5-6 years. Felt awesome while i was going but as soon as it was done it felt like i had sent lava down the pipe. Man i mean it hurt from the prostate all the way to the other end. I had to steady myself it hurt so bad. Thats pretty much what i had experienced up until exactly two weeks out. Again the first week the stream wasnt all that great but no pain really to speak of. The pain started about a week later. As i write this 12 days after the procedure i only have a burning sensation more in the prostate and it is getting less and less now. i only took tylenol for about a week or so and stopped that already.

My flow is much better and i do feel like i empty good too. As to sex i havent tried yet so cant address that.

i was told by the doc that over his history with the procedure that healing times range from person to person. He did say that total results arent really set for about 2 months or so. He said that the initial improvements are usually so much better men think they are better/ healed before they really are.

in summary i had no blockages no infection no excessive bleeding. At this time i would def recommend this to others where its available option.

Happy to answer any questions

• Edited

That pain you endured sound just like mine but mine was 3 days after the procedure in another hospital.

I was in for longer than anyone on this site because my temp went up hours after i got home the day after the Aqualtion, then admitted to ER thinking is was UTI but not. Moved to private room.

My doctor must have friends at Anthem Blue Cross in California as they approved 3 more days under hospital care with constant saline catherter and IV antobiotics .....so clean me out real fast.

But the 'lava' pain was real. But my doctor prescribed Vicodin and a blatter pain med.

The doctor makes all the difference with this Aquablation.

• Posted

At one point i was thinking i may have an UTI as well. Thats when i called and explained the systems i was having to the doctors office. I knew how bad a blockage felt. several years ago i had to have a kidney stone removed by surgery. went home with a stent. couple days later had it removed. i failed to keep up the intake and developed a blockage. after several hours of walking, trying to urinate, laying in a fetal position i was asking wife to take me to ER. As the Lord saw fit while she was getting dressed i pretty much just exploded over the toilet. really painful and a big ole glob came out. i immediately felt relief. called doc and he was like..."sounds like you had a clot blockage" keep drinking fluids and only slow down when bleeding stops. after that was fine. Ugh!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.