Aquablation with median lobe - a great success so far

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started my BPH journey about 6 years ago at the age of 47 with the usual problems of frequent trips to the bathroom, needing to go back to pee minutes after going, and waking up in the night to go. I was put on Alfuzosin and Finasteride which helped enough that I didn't consider further treatment, but conditions worsened.

I had a urolift in early 2022 which also helped but not to a huge degree and things worsened again.

I was researching my consultant options when I came across aquablation and it seemed ideal for me, especially as a large median lobe had been identified. Long story short I had the procedure at the start of November and even in this short time frame it's been a great success.

I had no pain after the surgery, and spend the first night with a Foley catheter in and undergoing continuous bladder irrigation. That was stopped the next morning and I was swapped over to a leg bag, but stayed in for the second night (my surgeon's preferred way of doing things). I did a TWOC the next morning and passed, and was sent home without a catheter.

I felt so well I think I overdid things, as my urine was starting to clear as the first week went on, but was always bloody at the start, and then worsened about 6 days in after I did a lot of walking. I started to worry after reading the stories on here about the bleeding stopping within hours or days for some, especially as there was little change in the colour as I headed to the three week mark. But things did improve and by the end of the third week things were running clear.

Apart from one mega-flow straight after I got home from the hospital, the flow wasn't particularly great for the first couple of weeks, but I think this was expected with all the inflammation. As weeks 4 and 5 passed, flow improved and improved so I'm now peeing in a way I've not done for years. There's a feeling of completely emptying my bladder now which I've really not felt for a long time.

There's still a bit of stinging at the start and end, and I'm relearning that I don't need to go to the toilet ever sixty minutes, but wow, after the first couple of weeks when I wondered if things would improve, it's been a fantastic transformation!

I'm also happy to report no side effects too. For me, I consider it a complete success!

2 likes, 1 reply

Report / Delete

1 Reply

  • Posted

    Thanks for info on your Aquablation. I had urolift done about 18 months ago and I consider it a fail. I am going to get Aquablation done in the next couple of months. Did your doctor mention anything about removing the staple(lack of a better word) from the urolift. It's one of my concerns. Also, very happy your Aquablation was a success after the urolift.


    Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up