Arc flashes a month after YAG

Posted , 6 users are following.

I posted last month about my experiences leading up to YAG and immediate post YAG results, which seemed uneventful. I had lens exchanges done in May and required YAG for PCO last month in one eye. Yesterday I noticed flashes of light in my peripheral vision, like a semicircle. It is like when you used to have old camera bulbs flash in your eye. I don't want to rush to the eye doctor for every little thing. Is this normal? Can I wait it out and see if it gets better? Is it a retinal detachment issue? How much should I worry?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

is it a semi circle of light?

• Posted

Yes, it is a semi-circle. Seems worse when blinking. I am now hyper focused on it.

• Posted

By all means go to the doctor. If it's nothing then you can relax, and if it's something then it can be dealt with. Doctors are there to be visited!

• Posted

retinal detachment should be more like lightning but get checked by the doctor. perfect semi circle seems to be reflection off the edge. do you get this during daytime too?

• Edited

I get circular flashes from my IOLs in certain conditions; a dark room or outside when it is dark, and there is a point source of light off to my side. I think it is a reflection off the edge of the lens when the pupil is wide open due to the low light levels. I have not had YAG, and both eyes do it under these specific conditions.

That said it is probably worth getting an eye exam to see what they think.

• Posted

Thank you all. It was more pronounced during low lighting and as the day brightens it seems to be dissipating. It seems like a glowing edge of the iol maybe. Spouse says make an appointment. I am stubborn. It just worried me since I have not had anything like this and it came on so sudden.

• Posted

welcome to the world of iol edge glare. try to look at light source when arc appears. also when you stay in dark for too long the pupil will adjust and not show you the arc. sucks that yag induced it. what iol do you have?

• Edited

I am reluctant to have the other eye Yag because of floaters ans glare post yag.

• Edited

Yup, that ('try to look at light source when arc appears') also works, but gets a bit old, IMO and also can be difficult to do in a city when one / two innocuous light source(s) buried amongst an array of them are hitting the corner of your eye at various movement point(s), triggering said concentric semi-circle(s). However, from a psychological / aid in neuro-adaptation perspective, it helps to know what is triggering it at that moment in time. I don't perform this exercise anymore (looking for the light source(s)) though as I expect the PD to be ever-present and are not surprised by it (I get surprised when I don't see it, hehe).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.