Arc flashes? Floater dot? Dystophobia? One month after cataract surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

one month after uneventful right eye cataract surgery (monofocal toric technis ll lenses) stated seeing for the first time bright arc like flashes in outer corner of right eye. comes and goes..not throughout the whole day. just here and there. seem to notice when leaving brightly lit room, then going into dark room. Few of those arc bright flashes same area. They are very brief. I've had for like 2 days a single black dot floater. Had floaters before cataract surgery. But just started to see this one teensy black dot floater. vision is the same.

But of course I'm worried and concerned. Even.more so I'm avoiding going anywhere. Been staying home except for that one month ago right eye cataract surgery and the following week (3 weeks ago left eye (same lens type) Trying to do research on this but finding conflicting info. No flashes when eyes closed.

is this all dysphotopsia? retinal tear? vitreous detachment?..or do I just need to monitor over a few days. These arc corner right eye random flashes only started today. Dot floater maybe 2 days ago and randomly also. (Im.65y.o)

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

The new model technis toric ll IOLs looks interesting, I see they were fda approved recently back in Dec 2019.

Supposed to reduce the chance of lens rotation relative to the older tecnis toric monofocal iol like i have in my right eye.

• Posted

Hi night! how long ago did you get yours done? How are they?

• Posted

hi! exactly why I went for them and my surgeon was the first on the island to get them

• Edited

I had my right eye cataract surgery with a Tecnis toric monofocal IOL back in Oct 2017. My left eye won't need surgery probably for several more years, so I can compare between my left natural lens vs right IOL and see the difference in colors like pure white in the right eye. I still wear glasses since I need it for my left eye which has about 2d astigmatism, the right eye was almost 3D astigmatism now reduced to under 1D so I get about 20/25 or so distance vision in the right eye without glasses but correcting the small leftover astigmatism with glasses I can get better than 20/20.

I do see a small light arc around some lights in the dark when my right eye is dilated such that the pupil is probably a bit larger than the 6mm IOL diameter. If I reduce the pupil size by quickly looking at a bright flashlight for a second the arc disappears. Thats a way to check if such a thing is caused by the pupil being too small.

• Edited

oops I meant pupil being to large not too small 😃

• Edited

One other potential strategy to reduce this effect is the use of eye drops that constrict the pupil. These act in the opposite way as the normal eye exam drops which dilate (open up) the pupil. If you look at the image below you can see that the troublesome light sources are the ones coming from a sharp angle to the side and then hit the edge of the IOL. If the pupil (blue) is constricted that blocks the troublesome side light sources to some degree from hitting the edge of the lens. The down side of course is that available light is reduced and it may hurt night vision. However, assuming this effect will naturally reduce over time, the drops may be a temporary solution until the natural reduction takes place.

• Posted

you are so smart!! thanks for all the advice and knowledge you share!!!

• Posted

these miotic drops are very expensive. 60$/ month with insurance. alphagan is the best. pilocarpine is also good but can cause retina detachment bug it helps with permanent reduction of pupil size. i have turned into the wrong lane at night after having these drops once. but they help with the dysphotopsia. lumify is over the counter mild miotic but it has preservatives.

• Edited

Almost as bad as the FreeStyle Libra continuous blood glucose monitors I started using. $180 a month and no insurance coverage for them. It sure is nice to know your BG at any time of the day or night. The price of having diabetes even where there is technology to deal with it!

• Posted

heh insurance companies are a travesty when it comes to such important daily medicines some must take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.