Archilles rupture - self-management?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Pretty much realised i'm making own plans/decisions. 

Saw consultant originally and told 3x3 weeks in plaster but no indication of what happens then. 

I then did own research plus had a few falls and his registrar agreed i could have my air boot with 2 wedges at 3 weeks. I'm back 3 weeks after that to have another wedge removed. No idea what happens then, and when i can take it off at night. It seems to be healing ok. I'm mostly crawling but doing minimal pwb with 2 crutches. I move my foot and calf as much as i can within the boot as i believe too much total non movment isnt a good idea. 

I can ask more at next appt when i'll be 6 weeks. 

When did you all start sleeping without boot?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Would've bitten off my consultant's hand if i had been offered x3 but am on 4x4. Had the cast removed on monday (dec 1st) and was given the boot with two wedges and instructed to take a wedge off after two weeks and the 2nd will be removed when i go back to see them at end of week 4 in boot.

My consultant instructed me to take the boot off as often as possible to exercise the tendon and get the ankle joint moving but to make sure boot is put on when getting up. Basic exercise were flexing the foot up and down, side to side, making a circle and having a towel exercise for the calf.

To answer your question, i never slept in the boot (as consultant said it can be taken off). 4 weeks in a 24/7 cast and that was me. You might have to sleep in the boot to complete a 4week 24/7 immobolisation process. But as we all know, each consultant have their own "proven procedure"

• Posted

Thanks for taking time to reply.

So were you cast for 4 weeks, and then another 12 weeks in boot? 

I've completed 4 weeks immobilisation now. Would be great to get it off at night. Don't want to risk anything though obviously. 

You're so right about the consultant differences. Such a wide range of differences too. 

• Posted

4x4.....4weeks in cast and 4weeks in boot. My consultant flat out refused to give me the boot any earlier. I have done everything i have been instructed to do and NOT do.

As instructed - I am full weight bearing in the boot, only have the boot on to walk (taken off every other time, inc when sitting and sleeping) and undertake all 4 exercised and ice the tendon/lower calf area.

As a rebel (and from prior experience of being through an ACL surgery recovery) I have also been listening to my body and doing other stuff including walking for a mile with the boot on, took a wedge off after three days (2wks was my instruction), been driving since friday, standing on one foot for 5secs (last two days) and massaging the achiles/lower calf area.

These might seem aggresive (if not stpu1d) but all undertaken with precaution and when when pain is tolerable. Right now, the calf is better rounded than it was on monday and the dorsi/plantar flex of the injured foot is on par with the good foot.

• Posted

Hi Emma, confused by all these different treatments,I had 2 casts for 2 weeks each and then a boot for 6 weeks with a rocker foot so could't actually walk or weight bear on it,but could take it off at night and when resting , it was lovely to get some air on it, I think because it was an accident at work, the insurance company got involved at every stage, and I had an OT to rehab me back to work, plus physio and pilates, god knows whatI would've done without them. 
  • Posted

M15234 - sorry, i just askedyou some mor questions on your other thread before reading the answers here! 

Odette - its crazy how different it all is. My boot is a rocker too but I am able to partially weight bear with my crutches. Slowly but fairly safely. I'd love to take it off at night though. Its huge and uncomfortble. Plus seems weird putting it in the bed when its been outside! 

I'm an OT so will rehab myself back to work haha. I have already spoken to my Osteopath and yoga teacher. Will start those as soon as I can. Might give the physio a miss as i'm guessing its nothing the others and myself won't do. 

• Posted

There seem to be very little information provided on what happens between now and/or when the boot comes off. But I was told what happens is that at the end of week 4 in the boot, i will be accessed on whether i can go into normal shoes or have to continue in the boot.

Emma, may i ask how many weeks post injury you are?

Unless you are a rough sleeper, i would say you could take the boot off at night without doing any type of damage to yourself. To be safe, you could put a socks on and roll another one and insert it to protect the tendon.

• Posted

Replied to this but iPad didn't post it!

Good idea about the rolled up socks. I hunk in my own mind I have set a goal for 5 weeks - this Friday - and will take off at night them. I'm currently 4 weeks and 3 days, and never has days seemed more important!

• Posted

hI emma I still have a pillow in the bed to put my foot on, I put one underneath and bad one on the top, this has been 8 months but I feel secure with it there and it doesn't hurt anyone, apart from my husband who is worried about kicking me!! The first night i had the boot I kept it on in bed but it felt so weird,I stopped.
  • Posted

I was 5 week no weight bearing, then 5 weeks partial with crutches, boot off at night. Then boot off an weekly physio, walking with a stick initially. Physio was checking for movement, strength and giving exercises to increase strength. Swelling of foot finally going down (13 weeks) Now got recurrent lower back problem due to weight shifting and weight increase due to inactivity.
    • Posted

This is what I'm thinking. 5 weeks on Friday and start the partial weight-bearing with boot off at night. 
    • Posted

I still have slight swelling more or less down to how active I have been. I also had problems with my back, it's due to mostly weight bearing on one side, so all the muscles have shortened  and become lazy, I found pilates really helped with that, and I have also put on 2 stones in weight, I will get christmas out of the way, and then attack it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.