Archive for Experience of Pilonidal Sinus from 2005

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a pilonidal sinus 8 months ago. The pain was severe so I took myself straight to A&E as i thought i had a problem with my lower spine. I was given emergancy surgery of wide excision, therefore healing by secondary intention. My wound is still not healed and I go to see my surgeon once a month. In order to stop recurrance he feels that a second operation is required, however, he says he cannot do this until the wound is completely healed. I get sharp pain from time to time which is uncomfortable. Now it is just a case of waiting for it to heal so I can go on to have the second operation!

[i:2bb72970c0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2bb72970c0]

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My heart goes out to you for the pain you suffered. My son, Jeff, is 15 and will see the surgeon on 21st of December but our GP told us that Jeff will only have to have simple day surgery. After reading the comments on this website I'm wondering how "simple" this operation will be.

[i:cf6caec3de]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cf6caec3de]

• Posted

my son has had 6 operations in south africa(east london and port elizabeth),after the 6th operation I put him into the hyperbaric chamber and he had 10 sessions of oxygen treatment under pressure during the post op care. this means he had all the dressings done every day and once a day for an hour he went into the hyperbaric chamber and breathed oxygen at a depth of 5 meters, this promoted the healing of the wound. It has been 2 years now without any problems. I have waited this long to see if it would work

my sympathy to all sufferers of this horrible disease

regards Arthur

[i:bb9ea8871d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bb9ea8871d]

• Posted

i was a passenger in a car and my coccyx was really hurting but i couldnt remember if i had banged it or not. during this period i had a large red sweaty itchy area where my coccyx was sore. while i was in the bath i was cleaning the crack of my anus and felt a hole about the size of the head of a drawing pin. i knew by that that something was wrong so i decided to get to the doctors that day. the doctor told me it was a spinal sinus infection. i am now writing about this on the internet now looking up everything i can about it because i have an operation on it on the 10th of january 2006. once i have had my operation i will be back on here to let you no how it goes

[i:3e8b2433fe]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3e8b2433fe]

• Posted

I had my first PNS operation at the age of 17 in 1999. The wound was left open after an excision. It had healed, but I had a sedentry life style ever since. I think the damage was more when I started with my job after finishing school in 2003. Mine was a computer programming job and I had the habit of sitting and working for long hours.

I am pretty hairy in that area. I used to take bath only once a day. I now realize that I should have taken more precaution to avoid sweat accumulation in the area as I had an itchy feeling there many a times but I had ignored it as post operation side-effect. I should not have done that!

It has been only a year now since I have switched to less sedentry life style, but the damage is already done. Also I have recently started shaving the area and try to do so every fortnight. I am more cautious about my posture now and take frequent breaks when sitting on chair.

Because of this recurrence of the problem I am seeing doctors since a week. I am going to see one today (who had operated me the first time) and I am pretty sure he would suggest another surgery sad

• Posted

hi everyone.this is sunil from bangalore india.

I sympatize with all whos suffering frm this disease.

It al started with 1year when i had a dimple at the

end of spinal cord.i ignored it n thought tat it was

because of excessive heat in my body.i taken sme tablet n it cured temporarily.

I didnt had any problem til last month.i traveled a

lot n had a lot sitting work.it started giving me the problem

it started draining n oozing n pain was unbearable.

I consulted a doctor n he asked me to go for a fistulogram.

The report showed a tract of length 3/4 cm n doctor

suggested me to go for a surgery.i was reluctant to undergo

a surgery.

then i consulted an ayurvedic surgeon. he suggested me to undergo

a ksharasutra ligation.i started taking the treatment .within a month sinus was healed.

This treatment is most cost effective,need no hospitalization

,no incontency,very minimal recurrence rate,n above all

u dnt need even a single day off from ur office work u can carry ur work as usual.

watever i told its out of my experienceif u want u can search.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.