are all my symptoms side effects of ciprofloxacin? any experience?

Posted , 21 users are following.

My doctor said I had a kidney infection so prescribed ciprofloxacin after taking first dose I felt very sick and after five doses woke with terrible pain behind left eye and over forehead, went back to docs who said its sinusitis and I have developed a terrible chesty cough, now tendonitis in right heel.

Is all this because of these tablets? Will I get better? How long will it take? I have two small children. Thanks you for any replies

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi emma. Are you in the uk?
  • Posted

Hi yes I'm in the UK. Staffordshire.
  • Posted

I'm in Wolverhampton. 30 year old male. I have two kids as well, 3 and 5. I took 5 tablets if ciprofloxacin for suspected epidimitis. Which it wasn't after I've been back and since had an ultrasound.

For some reason it hit me pretty hard as well. I stopped taking after 2.5 days as I had nausea and headache s. For me I started getting pins abd needles in my hands and feet which spread to my knees within a few days. Naturally I was concerned so I went back to gp. He assured me it would subside within a few days. It didn'. It oprogressively got worse and I ended up with pain in all my small joints. Wrists, ankles, elbows, knees etc.i was very concerned as I run around 40miles a week and also cycle to work in Birmingham 3 days a week so I was petrified this would end my involvement in sport and the clubs I'm in.

3months have passed now. I've been to see a sports therapist, had reflexology and even been referred to a rheumatologis. II've had loads of blood tests done and doesn't showanything. Pain is cobsiderably better now thab 3 months ago and I hhaven't got puns and needles anymore. I have aching around my achilles heel and ankle, however I haven't stopped doing any sport apart from running. I swim and cycle still but the wirry did taje its toll and I genuinely felt like my body was shutting down initially.

I haven't been taking any supplements as I didn't take tablets before and I won't put anymore down my neck. The greatest challenge u have us getting any to believe the tablets can cause this. Genuinely even I can't believe it sometimes.

It will get better with time. Keep your chin up and if u want anymore advice just pm me if I can help.

P.s. I've spoken to two guys who were hit in Oxford, one is an elite cyclist for a team, he's 2 years out and tge majority of his problems are fixed and he's back racing, another guy is 5 years out and hes heale. Neither of tgese guys could walk after there reactiin. So things do get better.

Try to stay off the web though as reading the hhorror stories will scare u to death like they did with me.

• Posted

I took Cipro 2-1-16 for citrobacter fundii over growth.

I finished my one week dose of Cipro 500 mg and wound

Up with tendinitis, feet pain neruoplacey. I couldn't walk for

three months with out my husbands help. I was put on LDN

As a treatment for the neruoplacey which went away after

Three weeks on the drug. My GP said this low dose Naltrexone

Is a drug they are trying out on people with all diff kinds of

Neuro disease like autoimmune, FM, some Cancers the list

goes on. I feel great I hope this helps.

• Posted

My dad recently got bit by a brown recluse spider. They prescribed him ciprofloxacin 500 mg and he took it for about 2 weeks. Then they told him he has tendonitis fromthe medicine..on top of all this my dad already suffers from kidney failure and has dialysis 3 times a week. He's miserable right now. I don't really know what question I have for you. Any information at all would be helpful please

• Posted

Hi Jamie, I'm astounded that the docs would be so inept as to prescribe Cipro to someone who already has severe kidney problems!  It's right there in the leaflet!  I should think he is very miserable right now.

I'm in the UK and have never heard of this spider but a quick search tells me that there is no actual treatment and the idea of giving an antibiotic is to prevent secondary infection of the damaged skin in the bite area. 

Since your dad is now suffering from tendonitis he may well be 'floxed' and will have other connected symptoms.  Your best bet is to go to a US support group such as Floxie Hope for help and advice.  My only immediate advice is to make sure your dad doesn't take Ibuprofen (Advil) or any other NSAID or any steroids as these can make symptoms worse.

I onviously don't know how the system works over there but I would think you'd have a good case for a negligence case! 

Good luck,

Miriam

• Posted

Hi! I just read your post on cipro!! I live in US and was prescribed cipro based on the symptoms I had!!! (Did not even have an actual lab test!) I took two pills and started having joint pains in my hand! I am going to stop taking them and see my gp tomorrow! I do not think I am having an infection but the stupid doctor who ordered the med on the phone based on my symptoms!!

Did you stop taking them after 2.5 days?? How your pain now? Did it subside more ?

• Posted

Hi, just to say that everyone is different, some people can take several courses of Cipro with apparently no ill-effects while others only have to take a couple of tablets and then boom - aches and pains all over. You are very wise to stop taking them and if your doc is a good one he/she will agree.  At the very least you should have a culture done to find out why you need an antibiotic in the first place.  The FQs (e.g. Cipro, Levo) are seriously dangerous - the FDA said so last July!  They should only be used for very serious infections.  Look at Floxie Hope website for more info.  Don't take an NSAID and saty off booze for a while.  Hopefully you've stopped soon enough but remember never to take another FQ or it may happen again.  Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you!! I am soooo p*ssed off at my urologst now!!! Only after two pills, I have severe joint and muscle pains! These joint pains are so bad that I dont want to even touch cold water! Hope it goes away soon without having any other additional symptoms! So are you doing all right now?? Did it get better a lot??
    • Posted

I haven't been floxed myself but I know a lot of people who have been.  Time is the best healer but like I said, everyone is different.  The pains are caused by damage done to you by the Cipro so you have to be careful not to do anything to make it worse.  Floxie Hope will give you lots more information.  There's lots of information in the threads on this forum as well.

• Posted

Emma the only thing I'll advise at this stage is to avoid any nsaids, I.e. ibroprofen or steroid injections. These may well be pescribed for tendinitus bybyour gp, but are known to make your symptoms worse as they react with the ciprofloxacin still in your system.

Apart from that eat loads of fruit, vegetables, gentle exercise, will boost your immune system which will help in fighting off the potential damage the drug can do. Limit alcohol intake and eats lots of veggies with magnesium in such ss broccoli etc.

Oh and try not to get obsessed by all of it.

Chris

• Posted

Hi, thanks so much for the reply its good to hear I'm not alone in this. I'm 25 and my children are 2 and 4. Don't have any family nearby so it's been a huge struggle the past few days. I can't believe that tablets can do this to someone and that they are allowed to be prescribed.

So rather than going through the doctors for lots of tests do you think I need to just wait it out til I get better? Have you heard anything about magnesium helping?

• Posted

Sorry posted without seeing the last message. Thanks so much for the advice Chris
  • Posted

Its a difficult one emma. Many websites/forums will suggest taking magnesium supplements amongst other supplements as well. I'm just very wary of taking pills fullstop. In fact I even questionned these antibiotics st the very start and I was assured tendon reactions are extremely rare. I wad even advised by s hospital cobsultant thag these were s safe drug to take.

I've never had any joint problems in my life and straight after these tablets I get all sorts going on with my joints. Very scary and it sent me into a bit if a panic. Even my wife can't believe its still causing aching etc.

I found s lot of reassurance by visiting website floxiehope. I personally haven't taken suplements but have tried epsom salt baths and eat tonnes of veg now and whilst I didnt drink much alcohol before have cut most of this out since it happened.

It seems anyone affected in this way seems to follow the same pattern. I've very rarely hsd any medixation in the past and to have a gp pretty much not believing what you're saying is hard. Blood tests have all come back normal.

Have u been diagnosed with tendinitus or are these just symptoms you're having and self diagnosed??

Symptoms can and do seem to progress withinbyhe first few monyhs but seem tk ease litle by little. Rveryone is different.

Hope yhis gelps

Chris

• Posted

I wouldn't discourage going back to your gp if concerned. Whilst its common for nothing to show up in bloods again everyone is different. So it could react with your system differently. I found tge first two months s real struggle. All I wanted was reassurance things would be ok but no one can give you this. So its just s case of gettinv on with it and hoping for the best. I'm sure in time you'll be ok. Not everyone has reactions to these drugs we must just be the unlucky few.

Stay positive all will fix. Keep things as normal as possible. I haven't missed anytime off work regardless of how I've felt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.