Are any of you aware of the new FDA concerns regarding Gandolinium used in MRI's?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just read this on a medical post and will be mentioning it to my Neurologist as I have a follow-up MRI on March 3rd.  According to this report the FDA has concerns that the Gandolinium contrast stays in areas of the brain and they do not know long-term effects.  If any of you have more information it would be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

now I will say up front, I don't trust the FDA on much stuff especially when it come to food recommendations as they are behind the times but this is the one of the biggest reasons I did not agree to doing contrast for an MRI.  I have odd allergies to things, I don't know if it's due to exposure to dental chemicals for many years or what but I can't even have band aids or any thing with adhesive on it for an IV or I will scratch myself to the point of bleeding due to an allergy....so putting chemicals of any kind in my body concerns me.  Curious to  see what others say.

• Posted

Hi Connie,

Thank you for sharing regarding the contrast.  I had my first MRI in early November and they used contrast.  I remembered from past experience that I had a very bad reaction to CT contrast.  While I didn't have a bad reaction I must say that I am very concerned about this report from the FDA.  I was hospitalized just in January for a flare and another MRI was done.  I was surprised that this time they did not use contrast and when I questioned it they just told me it wasn't necessary and they could see everything fine without it!  It does make one wonder if there was more to it than what they were saying.

Slightly off topic, but I am interested to hear what you or anyone else has to say in regards to high dose vitamin D?

I was told by my Neuro to take at least 5000 Units daily which seems excessive.  In a standard daily vitamin you would get 400-800 daily.  Interestingly enough, it was just over three weeks later after starting the high dose that I ended up in hospital with a flare!???

Please if anyone has any comments on high dose vitamin D please share.  I was also interested to learn that vitamin D is not actually a vitamin but rather a hormone!!  There is a lengthy list of drugs you should avoid if taking D.  Very common ones in fact such as blood pressure meds.

Thank you for your time,

Carolyn

• Posted

have you had your vit D3 levels tested?  i did a couple of years ago.  my nurse practitioner who prefers natural treatment rather than prescription meds put me on 2000 of vit D3 and then would recheck me in a few months but the rules changed for insurance.  it cost me for the first test and then because i had a deficiency and most people do, they would pay for follow up tests.  well, now insurance says you know you have a deficiency so we aren't paying for them.  

I did increase my dosage to 10,000 for vit D3 for a few months, then cut back to 5000 and now 2000.  It's Iowa and we forget what sunshine is for several months but soon I will be walking/running outside again for at least an hour a day so I am fine with 2000.   

I read a lot of health info every day.  some people say take magnesium, not vit D3 but I take both, not one or the other.

I will also say that some people react to supplements that work great for other people so you have to track how you feel and only add one supplement at a time so you know how your body reacts. if you are buying supplements from Walmart and places like that, there are fillers in there and that's what bothers people's bodies is the filler material.  buy quality vitamins and supplements and check to see what is in the supplement before buying.

I'm more of the kind to go with what I can eat, supplement, exercise to keep myself healthy rather than take medications.  And that's the main reason I am against doing contrast for myself.  I don't believe I have MS and now I can see my neurologist does not think so either.  Time will tell I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.