Are any of you singers?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I am in a choir and have had to give up singing - every time I try my throat becomes sore, tickly or hoarse. Have any of you had this problem and have you been able to overcome it?

Thanks.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Nice to see you again, I didn't mean to to be critical - I just wondered if you'd lost us (I did at first when I started posting here, as I hadn't saved the site to Favourites).

I hope your voice isn't ruined like mine, its partly old age with me so hopefully a younger voice will repair itself once you find a medication to suit you.

I wish I didn't have to rely on medication, even Gaviscon like you, but it seems a pipe dream.  I don't think GPs understand, as to them the answer is to just take the ant acid or PPI but oh how I wish it would just cure yourself on its own!

• Posted

if any discomfort in speech and singing persist more than months there is a chance that vocal cords hv been physically damaged. The damage is caused due to excessive straining of vocal muscles and insufficient lubrication. the condition is called SULCUS VOCALIS. I was a proffessional singer then one fine day i couldnt sing n my voice went hoarse. BY FAR ITS ONE AND HALF YEAR I CANNOT SING NOW N HAVE SEVERE SPEECH LIMITATIONS. gOD IS GREAT...
    • Posted

Samywany - Have you had any updates? I too am going through the same thing. Ive been going through this for a year and half now and i have went to 3 ENT's and none of them have found out what the issue is and they say my vocal cords are fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.