Are any visitors currently suffering with Globus? - My update so far

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hello,

My life with Globus continues....

It's been two years + now since I was diagnosed with Globus the only trouble is that my mind just cant accept this and always thinks that it is something more sinister..

My symptoms are / have been..

Tight / Uncomfortable sensation whilst swallowing, like there is something there.

Constant thinking about the sensation of swallowing ( due to constant throat sensations)

Clicking in throat when swallowing, worse when drinking liquid.

Stabbing pains under jaw

Feeling that there is something coating the back of my toungue

Senstations worse when tired but not as bad in a morning when i wake up

Long term tickly cough 4-5 months

Different food and drink irritates my throat

My tests/ treatment over the last two years include..

Loads of blood tests including several full tests

Six endoscopies ( camera up nose looking down at throat) with 4 different consultants

One Gastroscopy ( camera down throat & oesophagus to look for damage / anything sinister)

Lots of different Doctors and Consultants feeling my Lymph glands

CBT (Cognative Behavioural Therapy)

Clinical Psycology (Current)

Lansoprazole (in case i have silent reflux)

Two chest xrays

Diazepam

Citalopram

Propanolol

All tests came back clear.. But even after all that lot I am still no better with the Globus and have a second Gastroscopy coming up in early February to check for changes to the condition of my oesophagus and throat since the last one

Please message me if you have had or are having simlar experiences with Globus as it is driving me to distraction at the moment..

I look forward to hearing from you

Best Wishes to all fellow sufferers... I will update after next gastroscopy.

10 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Update 13/3/2012

Totally bottled it at xray.. Went to appointment even had gown on and stood in xray room just couldnt do it as I think there may be more radiation risk than benefit here..

Re booked appt for a few weeks time to get my head straight on whether to have xray or not at all.

Was at level 10+ health anxiety mode today..

Just had all clear from Gastroscopy and eight biopsies, throat has been declared healthy on every one of seven endoscopies..

So my friends, I ask Is it worth the risk and time to just accept it's Globus and get on with life?..

• Posted

Latest Update 28/03/2012

Well... How intresting! I was previously seen by an SHO (Consultant in Training) who advised a Barium swallow and meal as a safety check...

My health Anxiety kicked in and I could not put myself through any uneccessary exposure to the ionising radiation of the Barium proceedures, as over the years the mutagenic effects of ionising radiation builds up and increases your 'Lifetime Cancer Exposure Risk' . If a Barium Swallow / Meal is definately needed then fine but if you have doubts do not be afraid to express them and discuss them with your doctor / consultant..

Went to see my doctor yesterday for a chat about it.. He agreed that I should not need to have this proceedure carried out as my throat had been tested extensively as has my blood, stomach, and osophagus including biopsies all of which have returned a clear healthy result.

I went to see a very helpful and professional ENT Consultant at hospital today to discuss the need for x-ray and she stated that all things taken into account I did not need the x-ray anyway, and that she thought the SHO just may have thought that I would be comforted by a clear result ..

I also took in two reports on 'The role of the Barium Swallow in the Management of the Globus Pharyngeus' from the NIH (National Institute for Health) website one stating that a review of 1145 patients with Globus Pharyngeus between 1999 and 2004 who were sent for Barium Swallows did not reveal a single cancer so advised that patients were no longer referred for this proceedure resulting in a huge saving to the radiology department too..

I am now being referred to Speech Language Therapy for help with excercises to relax my throat muscles and to try to stop the Pharyngeal spasms that are causing my Globus symptoms..I also need to manage the Anxiety effectively..

The Paryngeal Spasms I believe are being caused by the Anxiety that I am experiencing in my life at the moment..

• Edited

Could this be the final posting on this thread as an update from me???

Finally got to Speech Language Therapy (both my doctor and the actual ENT consultant agreed that I did not need the Barium Swallow and Meal after I challenged the SEO's decision to send me for one ! SEO is a Consultant in training)

Anyway SLT gave me a two hour slot, we did lots of talking, I had to eat a dry biscuit and wolf down a 100ml of water so they could check my throat.. I had my neck and throat thouroughly checked yet again for any lumps and bumps, all clear !..

We did lots of excercises to ease my throat muscles which I use every day and work well.

We also agreed that it was a waste of time for me to keep taking the Lansoprazole prescribed to me as a final gesture of an ENT consultant eight months ago. I have had thourough checks of my oesophageus including eight biopsies sent for microscopic analysis to Histology, all of which came back clear for any acid damsge st all ( even microscopic)..

So at the moment I remain on Citalopram which is working well and Diazepam when required to ease any bad phayngeal spasms..

The occasional clicking in my throat accompanying the spasms has been diagnosed as 'perfectly normal' laryngeal crepitus (clicking or cracking) commensurate with age (47) and well within healthy limits.

Thank you for reading this mammoth thread of my journey with Globus Hystericus, Globus Pharyngis, Cricopharyngeal Spasm or which ever name you give to that 'lump in the throat' feeling..

• Posted

On "globus". Beeing an ENT doctor for 35 years I have met very many patients, whose complaints are: "I feel a lump in my throat". I remember, some time ago, I met 5 patients in the same day, with just this problem. My view is: the very simple cause of the various symtoms is dryness in the throat. There are different reasons for this condition, eg after a throat infektion, caused by medication, or just age. If the mucous membranes in the throat are too dry, you are beginning to "experience" the act of swallowing, and that feels strange. You experience this as something foreign in the throat, which can be called a "safety reflex", and then the trouble starts. You start to hawk, croak, and increase your swalloing frequency (normally you swallow about 1000 times/day, but in these circumstances perhaps up to 2000 times/day!) This increases the feeling of the lump, and now all the muscles around throat begins to get tired, and you get different secondary symtoms from that. Typically, there are no swallowing problems. What can you do about it? Not much I am afraid - but the knowledge helps a lot. Many patients with this problem are very worried and anxious.
  • Posted

'Old Doctor' - Thank you for giving me the benefit of your 35 years ENT experience. I can understand your explanation of Globus symptoms and can totally relate to what you are saying..

I only wish I had this wisdom 2 1/2 years ago when my symptoms started and I could have saved myself a whole load of stress and anxiety as the treatments and checks continued..

The worrying thing is that for some sufferers even after many endoscopies and tests the sufferer still believes there is someting sinister causing the unusual throat sensation and is offered and accepts potentially harmfull ionising radiation tests including Barium Swallows and Meals and even CT scans, only to find those results come back clear..

Thankfully I now feel ok and dont worry about the Globus any more after the last of my hospital visits to see Speech Language Therapy and getting some great throat muscle streching excercises for when any spasms strike..

Thank you so much for the benefit of your professional experience and for your time..

• Posted

Hi all,

So glad I found this thread - your comments have been really useful!

I first started up with possible Globus around April last year, and it was fairly intermittent for the first month, then I had quite a serious experience of it where I had my first ever panic attack after waking up to find my throat felt like it had been blocked, and then I spent about 5 hours in A&E waiting for a five minute examination, only to be sent home with Diazepam without the doctor even looking in my throat.

The day after, I went to see my GP, and told her that I woke up with this feeling of a blocked throat and then had a panic attack; she kept trying to tell me that my throat constricted because I had a panic attack, being apparently unable to accept that it was actually the other way round. She refused to do anything, saying it was a panic disorder, despite the fact that I have no history of anxiety issues and had never had a panic attack before.

It then subsided for a month or so, then came back with a vengeance last summer. I was suffering from it near enough every night.

My GP in Chester was very poor and shockingly dismissive, so I went to see my doctor back home, who has been seeing me since I was 7 years old. He said there were several options, and gave me a prescription for Omeprazole, which treats acid reflux which he said may have been a cause for my experiencing this symptom. Unfortunately, this didn't work.

Due to nightly doses of Rescue Remedy, and making sure I unwind fully before going to bed, I managed to keep it at bay for about 2 months, but it has since made a comeback. I've had it about four times in the last 10 days, and I'm worried about it taking over again, as last summer was a really awful time and I was struggling to sleep and function.

I've been thinking that an endoscopy or something similar may be a good idea, just to check that it isn't anything physical in my throat. I guess if I know it's in my head, or brought on by stress, then I can alter my behaviour to prevent it. I do want to make sure that there isn't a medical underlying cause.

Any advice at all?

• Edited

Hello Chestergal,

I am glad you found this forum helpful..

Re the Diazepam that you were sent home from A&E with..

Did you take it and if so did it loosen your throat and/or ease the tight feeling?

If it did then it may be pharyngeal spasm (same thing as Globus) that you are suffering with.. I have taken Diazepam on prescription when my throat felt tight and it definately helped as Diazepam is a muscle relaxant but can be very addictive.

Re the Omepraze.. I was prescribed Lansoprazole a simlar drug for acid reflux ..

Now here's the kicker, you can actually have 'Silent Reflux' which potentially the only symptom that you would have would be Globus symptoms, I am now off the Lansoprazole as I took a few steps to eliminate any potential reflux by: sleeping with a wedge pillow so no tummy acids can sneak up your oaesophagus whilst you are sleeping and cause throat problems + I dont eat or drink anything three hours before bedtime + I avoid foods heavy in tomatos as my last meal of the day ie pasta sauce etc.. This seems to have done the trick.

Re Endoscopy..

Definately ask for a referral to ENT via your doctor ( or another doctor) to get your throat checked out.

The endoscopy is not too bad a proceedure compared to the Gastroscopy that I have also had. The ENT bods will just put a thin flexible camera tube up your nose too look vertically down your throat to see what is going on ( if anything) if nothing is there at least you will have peace of mind as the not knowing element adds to your worry which fuels anxiety which tightens your throat (vicious circle).

Remember.. Worry fuels the vicious circle try not to worry as worry doesnt help us at all it is just a state of mind worrying about something that has already happened or abour some thing in the future that may never happen.. Try to live in the present moment (The Now) in that space there is no time for worry.

Sorry if that last paragraph sounds a little deep and philosophical but thinking that way and living in the 'Now' helped me a lot over the last two and a half years..

I hope my reply helps you..

Best wishes

Andrew

• Edited

Can anyone help me on this?

I have had classic LPR / Globus symptoms for 3 months.

Now finally resolving. I have been taking Omeprazole 20mg twice a day and sometimes Zantac.

My problem started with Globus sensation below my larynx. That went on for about 2 months, and I was getting intermittent post nasal drip. Also quite hoarse.

Omeprazole seemed to help, and chewing gum relieved my symptoms, as did eating. Anything with tomatoes in it was a killer and fresh tomato and basil soup set me back to the beginning. Coffee and tea also aggravate my throat.

The problem I now have is a clicking on the right hand side of my adam's apple when I swallow saliva. Not present when swallowing food or a drink. I can feel the click with my finger and it disappears if I fully extend my neck, or look down or to the right. The clicking feels like the cartilage at the top of my Adam's apple is rubbing on something.

I did have an unrelated throat infection for about ten days which has just cleared up. The clicking started about the same time as the infection.

Could this be related to Globus / LPR ?

• Edited

Hello LegalEagle,

Yes indeed I can help you with information about my own experience.

I too noticed a clicking in my throat which i found very worrying at the time as I am now 47 and had never noticed this in my entire life.. Questions raced through my mind, 'Why was this clicking happening?", "Was it something sinister causing it?" etc, sure you have had simlar thoughts..

It is related to globus as a symptom and it is also an ailment in its self.

I have pointed this clicking when swallowing to two different ENT Consultants.

Consultant 1 said , after lightly pressing my adams apple from side to side, "This is normal and will not harm you, not now, not ever" and that was the extent of his prognosis.

Consultant 2 examined my throat and said that is just a bit of normal wear and tear on the cartledge, it is officially called 'Laryngeal Crepitus' that is well within normal wear and tear parameters. I believe Crepitus means clicking.

So to summarise.. That was my personal diagosis in my situation but I would not be at all suprised if it is the same for you but woukd recomend that you get it checked at ENT ..

I still occasionally notice the clicking, usually when drinking a fluid or when my neck is in a certain position but as I know its nothing sinister I just ignore it or move my neck to a position where it doesnt click when I swallow for a while..

I do hope this hels you, please click the 'Thumbs Up' symbol at the top right of this forum if you are happy with the forum..

Good luck

Best wishes

Andrew

• Edited

I have had a good 12 weeks now free of Pharyngeal spasm / Globus but i am sad to say it has just started off again..

I am currently trying to mentally manage Job loss and Terminally ill Father situations in my life..

Ah well at least I now know what it is and how best to manage it..

• Edited

I've been dealing with this since 2009 heavily, I specifically remember 2 times where I had almost choked on something, I've done a ton of research on this and I know everything about it. I deal with it daily now for 2 weeks straight before that I was working and was having a blast, now I'm having a tougher time with it and driving myself crazy. I would like all of you to try a couple of things for me.

1. Drink 2 beers, get tipsy and watch what happens, not a solution but I promise you you will see that if a beer can take it away there is nothing wrong with you. Have you ever heard of a beer taking away a medical condition? Must not be physical then, it's mental.

2. Take a shot of hot sauce, I find anything that burns the back of my throat changes the sensation.

3. Drink something carbonated seltzer ginger ale beer orange soda, anything......

4. Chewing gum the mint can't be to strong or it will bother you, it must be a mild mint.

All of my suggestions have helped me, although I'm not cured. We all have ongoing stress whether you believe that or not. Your idea of stress might not be the same as another persons.

For instance my globus acts up when I lose a woman in my life, try these things and please let me know if it works. This is a conversion disorder any thing you can do to distract it will work. And that doesn't mean think about it when your distracted you will come across certain situations where you don't feel it and then it magically comes back because you thought about it being gone, catch 22! Enjoy some beer or alcohol. You may have stomach problems and are on ppi's, but remember anxiety causes gastrointestinal distress just like it causes our globus. It's a tiring circle there is relief I swear because I was great for about a year in between my 3 year ordeal.

Emis Moderator comment:email address removed as we do not publish these. There is a private messaging facility if users wish to communicate directly with each other.

• Posted

oh no, just got doctor's report in the mail; globus hystericus. I saw "hystericus" and immediately went into

a snit, assuming it meant something like "it's all in your mind"! and I never thought to mention to the

ENT that I also felt constriction down my throat when swallowing. I focused on the fact that it felt like I had something stuck in the back of my throat, only on the left side. she's sending me for an MRI, since she felt

left side, base of my tongue is slightly larger than the right and "wouldn't want to miss anything". yeah, me

either. i also was told it's probably GERD, take some zantac(that's here in the states,maybe also in UK?).

so it looks to me like i'd better get used to these symptoms, cause they're not going anywhere soon.

i'm very glad i found this site to commiserate with fellow sufferers and to learn about this diagnosis.

• Edited

I want to say some words of encouragement. Things do get better! You can get this under control and out of your life. I first had globus in 1997. I, too, thought there was something in my throat, thought it was allergies, etc. I went to the ENT many times, to the allergist several times, and to internists and family doctors. Finally, someone explained to me what it was: a throat sensation caused by anxiety. It is not dangerous, you are not in danger, and you DO get better. I found a great psychologist who specializes in anxiety disorders. She knew exactly what it was. Like others, I had been having panic attacks for a long enough time so that it took a while to recover. It's a traumatic experience to have this, so it takes some work and time and distance to recover. But you do, and it feels so good!

Anyway, cognitive therapy, especially with someone who specializes in anxiety disorders, is the key to recovery. Meds play a key role, too. I resisted meds, but finally realized that I couldn't function like this and had to do something to stop the horrible panic. Sometimes you can just change the circumstances, but I had small children at the time, so the stressors were not going to change quickly. (Stressors included living far away from my friends and family with no significant support system, a husband who traveled overseas a lot, no job other than children, etc.). I started with small amounts of diazepam to help me calm down, along with a relaxation tape made for me by the therapist. After training myself daily to relax my muscles on cue (with her tape), I worked my way off diazepam as I learned coping techniques. Yes, I took prozac. It helped a lot. Yes, I hated the first 2 weeks when I still felt anxious and it made me feel really thirsty all the time. I hate medicines! After 2 weeks, though, I didn't have any side effects, and I felt calmer and finally could feel positive and even happy. It allowed me to get to a calm enough state so that I could function and then cognitive and behavior therapy strategies could kick in. My therapist's mantra is "Every problem has a solution." It was so helpful to remember!

I understand myself a lot more now. I'm an anxious person - it's just my wiring. (BTW, anxious people tend to be very smart people with minds that need to stay busy and active.) I'll always need to use coping strategies during times of stress. If it hadn't been my throat, it would have been something else. Anxiety manifests itself differently in different people. I now know I was too insular and I needed to get out of myself, keep up friendships and use my wider support network to stay happy and busy. I also try to stay focused on learning and developing my mind. If I don't keep it busy, it thinks too much! It starts the "what ifs," and that's not helpful. I also had to learn how to do things for fun, believe it or not. I'm all work and no play, and that's not good for your psychological self. I also know now that people with anxiety disorders are very sensitive to medicines, so I ask for smaller doses, if I have to have medicine for something. Oh, and I NEVER check the internet for possible side effects.

I hope this helps. To make a long story short, it is entirely possible and probable to have had globus and to overcome it very successfully.

• Posted

Hello from Oz. I started with Globus a few months ago. Like everyone else I was scared stiff it was something serious. I have since been to an ENT specialist who diagnosed Globus after putting a camera down my '

throat. I find I am constantly aware of it and its driving me crazy. I am hoping one day I will wake up and it will be gone......... I have been anxious in the last few months and I do worry about things. I find if I am out enjoying myself and don't think about it then its not there. Can any of you tell me how long you have had it and has it gone as yet, as it seems to be overtaking my life? Thanks any replies would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi, you all who suffer from "globus". I refer to my reply 13th of May 2012, to "the globus kid".

I wish you all could be "satisfied" with the diagnosis, that the problem is disturbing, but totally

harmless, and there is in reality no "treatment". If you understand the "mechanism", than stop

worrying. It is no use to repeat examinations and test, you will only be told that nothing is "wrong".

Of course - it is important to start with a consultation and examination by a experienced ENT-doctor,

but then stop.

old doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.