are betablockers safe for me to take?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 18 and have been experiencing tachycardia at random times as well as the occasional ectopic beat. My cardiologist gave me a 7 day holter monitor. He said that my heart was healthy but the only problem is that I get sinus tachycardia at times, and so he prescribed me 1.25mg of bisoprolol. He also said during that week my heartrate ranged from about 48bpm to 160bpm. My heartrate is fairly slow during rest i.e. about 60bpm. Thus, surely if I'll be taking betablockers my heartrate will drop to a dangerously slow rate? Especially if my heartrate is 48 during sleep without taking any betablockers!? Basically I'm concerned that my heart will be beating too slowly, and do beta blockers impact exercise in anyway? I enjoy cycling and would be absolutely gutted if I can no longer exercise

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. 

When you had the holter monitor on did you have any of your usual episodes? There is a big difference between sinus tachy and other forms of atrial tachy. Basically sinus tachy comes from where it should and other forms of tachy don't. The beta blocker dose you are on is tiny. I really wouldn't worry. If your doc has prescribed them i would give it a go. It is unlikely to drop your heart rate very much at all but it might make the fast beats more bearable and help with the ectopics. I am on 5mg per day of beta blockers, and 5mg per day of ivabradine and I can still get my hr to 130 during excercise. Try not to worry and give it a go. If you suffer any side effects speak to your doctor. 

• Posted

hi sarah, thanks for your reply, I only had one strange episode where my heart started beating really fast for no reason. He said that although it was fast, it was in a normal sinus rythm. I'm going to give them a go and see what happens 

thanks again for the advice 

• Posted

I am on 1.25mg of bisoprolol and it has helped my racing heart and dulled the ectopics a bit. I've been ok on them but they do make me tired and slightly off the pace but then that could be me naturally!! I think, like any drug, they react differently for everyone so as Sarah says, it's best to just give them a try for a bit. I don't think your heart rate will slow significantly but I do sometimes feel that mine is being held back. Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi

i have read your blog and was wondering if you started the beta blocker and if so how you are feeling.  I too have been given the same drug and suffer with a slow heart rate and blood pressure so would be interested to see how you are getting on with it   I haven't taken them yet 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.