Are constant chest flutters and stomach butterflies normal with anxiety?! What is going on with me?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been experiencing something weird and I'm not sure what to do. I'm freaking out a little but I'm trying not to because more anxiety makes the symptom worse.

I'm almost 15 years old and I've been dealing with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for about 3 years now. I've had a few bad panic attacks that have sent me to the ER.

I've been constantly feeling anxious 24/7 and for NO REASON AT ALL. I feel generally happy for the most part. At least I think I feel happy. I have no reason to be stressed. 

But....I've been experiencing constant stomach butterflies and chest fluttering. Everything startles me. If someone walks into the room, my heart jumps out of my skin. If I hear my phone ring, I get really bad chest pain and feel so startled. Listening to music freaks my body out. Everything seems to give me an adrenaline rush. Like even taking deep breathes gives me a rush through my body. My chest flutters, my stomach is full of butterflies. It's like every little noise, movement, or unexpected sight sends my body into flght or flight mode. What's going on here? Also my chest muscles are so, so tense and I feel like my chest is on fire. It's not acid reflux, I don't think, becasue it's all over my chest, not just behind the breastbone and I've been on PPI's for acid reflux and it makes no difference to the burning. Maybe I'm subconsciously really anxious about something?! I don't want to go to the hospital for them to just send me home becasue it's probably just anxiety. My mom plans to call my General Doctor soon. This is just really scary. I have chronic muscle pain from anxiety that is resistant to go away even when I'm not anxious in my mind. I'm afraid this symptom won't go away either.....

I've already tried breathing exercises, drinking cold water, exercising, and distracting my mind. None of it helps.

Any insight would be appreciated.

(I would also like to note real quick that I don't think my body ever really relaxes for some reason. I can't remember the last time I truly felt calm). cry

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes. That is very common with anxiety. When my anxiety is bad, I am so easily startled, just as you are. I have constant chest pain. Really I have pain all over. Are you getting an adequate amount of sleep? I know my pain is mostly caused by not eating or sleeping when my anxiety is bad. You also don't necessarily always "feel" anxious when your mind actually is. It is the weirdest thing, I know. It does get better, and you aren't alone. I'm here if you need to talk.

• Posted

Thank you so much <3. I know I'm definitely eating enough right now, but I haven't been getting much sleep for the past week (which I understand isn't helping). I haven't been home lately. I'll be back home tonight so I should get some better rest. I'm sorry you have you deal with chest pain too. I know it can be scary, especially when it gets bad. It is strange, indeed, that you can be anxious without really knowing it or having no reason to be anxious. I'm also wondering if my IBS could be playing a role with the stomach butterflies. I have IBS with constipation, and lately I've been having a lot of gas and bloating. Sorry, if that was TMI rolleyes Thank you for taking the time to respond! I wish you the best for dealing with anxiety!

• Posted

Hi. Sounds like exact symptoms , I stated with. Butterflies, shaky , heart racing, jumping out of skin if phone rang, worse is the anxious worrying and thoughts that just won't stop in my head as we don't understand why it's happenimg( can happen when not actually feeling stressed. Also horrible muscle tension in head , jaw , neck and back as I never relax. You have explained so well , I would explain exactly the same to your doctor who sees this a lot. I didn't tell anyone at first as l felt they would say I was overreacting , good on you for reaching out. Wish I got help sooner , can be treated and have much better life . After years I still have anxiety but manage it and not scared as I understand now it is horrible feeling but won't kill me. Talkbhere of thoughts are racing or for reasurance, lots of helpful people who know how this feels and want to help??

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words! I plan to discuss this with my doctor. I just feel like my senses are heightned and every little thing freaks my body out. I felt like this before, but it wasn't anxiety, it was having a crush! I felt this way once when I was "lovesick." The butterflies. The chest fluttering. Except this time, I have no one around to have a crush on or anything like that. I don't really know what I'm feeling that's causing this cry I totally understand what you wrote in your response. I have really bad problems with muscle tenssion as well. I'm glad you have found a way to manage your anxiety! I am concerned about doing back to my doctor becasue he just assumes it's always my anxiety and that I'm overreacting. And I have issues with health anxiety and I'm always thinking I'm dying of diseases lol

Sigh.

Thank you <3

• Posted

Hi tell your doctor you realise he must think you go a lot about this but I think you are great for wanting to get to the bottom of this while your still young, people waste years before they get help. Stick to your guns. I think you describe your symptoms very well ( butterflies like a crush etc) , keep at your doctor , seems you are positive enough to get help with this. Feels horrible and sometimes scary, wish we understood it more, talkbanytime, your definitely not alone❤️
  • Posted

hello i know this is and old threat but i was wondering what the doctor said about this feeling that you are having? what did be recommend you do for it i been struggling with the same feeling for a while and wont go away. i was wondering if there is any advise for me.

thanks alot

• Posted

hi i have just come across this forum found this thread i suffer with severe health anxiety i have a constant ache pain in my chest upper back i get short of breath i have been to hospitals doctors etc they have done tests all ok still doesnt help i still comvimce myself its something serious even if im not thinking about and im busy etc its still there its so horrible the doctor has tried gastric tablets etc nothing work wonder if anyone has any advice for this thank you for reading

• Posted

Yes me too, I've been feeling constant chest flutters like every few minutes, and then I go like a couple hours without feeling anything but then I'll feel it consistently again. I am not diagnosed with an anxiety disorder but I am a very anxious person especially about my health, I haven't been able to sleep or think about anything else and bc I feel it in my chest I was thinking about going to a cardiologist bc heart issues do run in my family which scares me more. The only other symptom I do have is a faster than normal heart rate. usually my heart rate is in the 70's but while I feel this flutter it's in the 90's.

• Posted

I think you should go with your gut, if you believe something is wrong then trust yourself. If your worried about your heart, visit a cardiologist, but anxiety can have a huge toll on your physical health too. If you've truly tried everything and you're tests are normal than I suppose your fine, or buy a pulseometer, to check or oxygen and heart rate from time to time to make sure your okay, they are pretty inexpensive.

• Posted

it just shows how common anxiety is across all ages, im a 39 year old male and you basically just described every symptom i get when mine is bad.

i question why im so on edge when like you i have no real reason to be.

everything makes me jump and im easily irritated.

hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Do you get short of breathe out of nowhere? I just started experiencing these symptoms about a month ago after I had gallbladder surgery. Im 28

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.