Are drug intolerances particularly common in people with Sjogrens?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Having been misdiagnosed and treated for seronegative RA six years ago, I was rediagnosed with primary Sjogrens two months ago by +ANA and lip biopsy.

I'm seeing my new rheum at the end of this month and am under a neurologist too for small fibre neuropathy and Ganglionopathy as part of my SS.

Because of the RA I was put into Sulfasalazine then Methotrexate with Hydroxichloraquine followed by Azathioprine with courses of Prednisolone in between. I had pretty serious side effects with these and other drugs and these have given me a fear of all medications.

My sense is that these allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis and pancreatitis - are because I do not have enough moisture in my body to flush away the toxins from imunesuppressant medications and other drugs I've tried.

Does anyone know if my hunch has been researched and validated ever? If so is this one of the reasons that Sjogrens appears to be taken less seriously by rheumatologists and GPs than other rheumatic diseases are? Or have I just been very unlucky perhaps?

Also is it the case that immunesuppressants increase the risk of us developing non Hodgkin's Lymphoma or is this just speculative? I'm somewhat confused because with RA the emphasis was on remaining in these medications to slow down the disease and hopefully minimise the risk of erosion of synovial joints.

So can anyone explain to me why is it not thought as urgent or even possible to prevent or minimise the progress of Sjogrens related neuropathy -which in my case has led to issues with my balance/ equilibrium, because my nerves have died and cannot now be regenerated?

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Tumtum1963, 

In relation to your drug sensitivity, I know for a fact that I am super sensitive to any medication since my diagnosis with Sjogrens Syndrome. 

Since finding out that I had Sjogrens Syndrome I can't handle any antibiotics, anti-virals, antiinflammatories, or strong pain medication. I have ended up in A&E a couple of times straight after ingesting medication as i suffer severe abdominal/gastro upset. 

Any time I have to take antibiotics or anti-virals i panic as I am miserable for weeks after with stomach/bowel issues. 

I didn't think about the correlation between SS and drug sensitivity but after reading your post I can see how they would link. I have read a lot about gut health and how that can directly influence autoimmune diseases and drug tolerance. 

• Posted

Hi Tumtum

Either you or someone else posed the question/belief recently that drug intolerance is due to SS. I doubt that our lack of scientific knowledge and willingness to ignore the distinction between causality and coincidence has changed since then, lol.

As to the lymphoma link, it is publicized in the States by the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation which is linked to Johns Hopkins, so I can't help thinking it's a real possibility. One would have to check with them or the UK SS group for percentages and whether there's a difference for primary or secondary.

All the meds you mention are heavy duty stuff. Here in the States it is always worth noting that drug testing on women is a recent thing

• Posted

Sorry, all, my phone only brought up the original post but without the original date. I did find it surprising that similar posts came up so frequently
  • Posted

I have SS. Only confirmed last year. I have read articles published recently that support your belief that we are in fact, overly sensitive or highly sensitive, to medications. We also have a keen sense of smell. I can take a Tylenol and sleep 4 hours. I also have a probelm with perfumes, strong scents and I avoid all chemicals or pesticides. I have done that for years. I don't think a cause to our sensitivity was stated but if I find the article I will copy the info and link.

I am very conservative with my meds. I take Fludrocortisone for bp, topical steroid cream for skin issues, Synthroid, Nexium, Lexapro and Klonopin. The latter really help with anxiety and neuropathy. I would have to be very bad to try Gabapenten or other drugs in that class. I do agree that polypharmacy is a nightmare. I am on oxygen. That helps.

I have wondered about immunosuppressants and Lymphoma. It's almost like the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. I may have to change my mind as my condition worsens. I will keep in touch. Good exchange of information.

• Posted

Thanks all who responded to my post about drug imtolleremces with Sjögren's. I think I posted this about four or five months ago. Since this time I agreed to try Mycophenolate/ Cellcept in the hope that it will bring my wayward immune system back on track.

I cannot really say if it is or is not working because I'm in the midst of a major relocation and setting up a new business so, inevitably, I'm flaring quite a lot. But the main thing so far is that tolerating it extremely well - bloods all good and no side effects at all.

I am less concerned now about the possibility of Lymphoma for myself, because I'm told being seronegative (i.e lip biopsy positive) makes me less vulnerable than those who are SSA or SSB positive - although there's still a risk of course.

But I have also learned that those of us with seronegative Sjögren's are more likely to suffer from neurological symptoms and Vasculitis so its swings and roundabouts. I have lots of toothache pain in my legs and arms and recently confirmed arthritis in my jaw as well as neck, hips, lumbar discs and probably in my knees. The neuropathic pain is flaring a lot in my legs and my arms feel very weak - despite nerve conduction studies being fine. I have very active sicca too in mouth, nose and eyes - not helped by high dust levels in new house - unpacking etc.

I am also trying heat pads and massage for Meibonian Gland Disease, taking Ranitidine twice a day for reflux (longstanding sour taste has all but gone) and trying to rest up and drink a lot of water or herbal tea All through the day.

My next health related project, once things are more settled, is to try the AI protocol diet and hopefully lose some weight in the process too. Nothing to lose by trying this out but o have to wait until I'm living in one place properly - frlom about six weeks time. I also plan to start attending a good Pilates class.

• Posted

Negative EMG & nerve conduction studies = small-nerve peripheral neuropathy, which I call classic to SS.

I've used gabapebtin for decades, starting at t for chronic neuro-muscular pain & not knowing then that I had RLS, though I sure realized it when I tried going off the med due to weight gain. My gp asked if I was crazy to try to go off the gabapentin. Now if I realize that I've been dealing with pins & needles or burning for a few days, I take an extra capsule.

As to special reactions - stop me if I've posted this before in this string, lol - a doc recently told me that redheads, whether defined by hair or by skin, process everything differently & have much stronger reactions. In my local support group I can't say that most of the folks tend to be redheaded, but who knows what dba might show. Our group has northern European and African-American and Hispanic members, going by name & appearance.

So how many redheads are on here, aside from moi meme?

• Posted

I'm a strawberry blonde with reddish tinges - some think of me as a red head. I've suffered from autoimmunity all my life - couldn't remotely tolerate Gabapentin or Duloxetine or Amitriptyline and am refusing to try anymore from these groups. I'd rather live with the awful pain and weakness! My SFN is quite advanced and has caused numbness and proprioception issues. However I'm tolerating Mycophenolate really well - which is a first for me with this group of drugs. Really chuffed about this!

I'm under neurology and rheumatology. Just about to see the gynae for first consultation so dashin this off!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.