Are hammocks good or bad for Sciatica and slipped discs?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I slipped a disc in L4/L5 area in May 2017. Since July, I've had Sciatica on right side from hip all the way down to foot. Taking Gabapentin for the nerve pain which helps to a degree. I have seen conflicting reports as to whether sleeping or even taking short naps in a hammock is a good or bad thing. A friend said try it to see if it feels okay in the hammock. My concern is it may well feel good but what damage, if any, could it be doing longer term.

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had really bad sciatica a number of years ago.  Shots, pills, PT...nothing worked.  Neurosurgeon did an MRI that was inconclusive.  When he went in, he found a bone spur at L4 literally "crushing" (his term) my sciatic nerve root.  Simple laminectomy plus the spur removal.  Same day surgery...all the residual inflammatory pain was gone in less than a week.  Poifect!!!!

• Posted

Thanks Chico, happy to know your surgery worked! However, my question is about hammocks and your reply has not addressed this.
    • Posted

Sorry...  Never tried a hammock for relief.  I do have a sleep number bed which I use to adjust the firmness when I need to like after surgeries or a sciatica flare-up.  My suggestion is that your focus be on getting a definitive diagnosis about the cause of the sciatica...it may not be the slipped disk.  I have had the problem many, many times over the years.  Except for that bone spur at L4, all have been fixed by a chiropractor...I'd see one...least invasive path.  The nerve meds (gabapentin (neurontin), Lyrica, etc.) are not a cure and have considerable side effects.  I'd look for the root cause and fix it.  The longer you delay, the more likely is the possibility that you could change your gait and throw out something else like hips, pelvis or SI joints.  That will just compound your misery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.