Are hemmoroids the problem or something else??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please help if you can!   Ever since having my children I have dealt with uncomfortable hems.  For the past year I have had increased rectal pain, especially when I am standing.  The mornings it's the least, but as the day goes on the pain increases and increases until I feel upan urgency to sit and when I sit I feel relief.  My hems are stage 3.   After a bowel movement I have pain that can last hours... one Colin rectal surgeon said it's spasms but has offered no solution.  Another said I need the hems removed.  I have been doing yoga to help the spasms but still encounter pain when standing.  Feelings like immense pressure in that area or even like I need to have a bowel movement even if I already did and I know I don't need to.  Then when I sit I feel relief.  But then I deal with the pain after bowel movements and for that usually only an ice pack will help but I feel pain for hrs.  This has been taking over my life and I need a solution!  Can anyone help?  Does is sound like hem pain and should I do a hemmorhoidectomy?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it certainly sounds like you will need to have a hemorriodectomy, but first try all other options, banding and laser as it’s not a nice op to recover from. I had it done 7 weeks ago and am now better, but I didn’t have any pain from mine before the op but was losing too much blood every day and the banding didn’t work. I have read about others like yourself who have been in pain daily for a long time so the pain for two weeks after op is equal to or with going through to have a pain free life. I wish you all the best. Let us know how things go.
    • Posted

How was the recover for you?  What stage were your hems?   I am hoping you are feeling close to recovered by now!
  • Posted

Hi barb

That pressure is definately a sign that something in that region is amiss.  Usually it's internal haemorrhoids that have become edematous or inflamed.   

It's worth going to a colorectal guy who can do a proctoscope in the office to have a look.   

It won't be anything other than haemorrhoids I think judging by your symptoms.   If it's causing you such angst just get it looked at.  There are less invasive things that can be dont to fix it if it's early 

Good luck.   Xx

• Posted

do internal hems usually cause pain?  I was once told they are painless but bleed a lot?
    • Posted

In my experience barb if the internal ones are inflamed or have edema around them they can cause pain. 

This is what happened to me post giving birth recently. I had to have a haemorrhoidectomy

So they're not always painless 

• Posted

Thank you for your thoughts in this!   It has been so difficult.   I have been trying to avoid he surgery at all costs.  Had bandings done five or six times.  I am so confused because some of the doctors say that hemmoroids are usually painless.  One dr said if I remove them I could make spasms worse.  Another said the hems were thrombosed and stage four.  Both colon rectal surgeons.  I am just so unsure what to do.  But I need my life back.   We're any of you in pain prior to surgery or told anything about levator 

• Posted

Definitely sounds like symptoms I get, especially the need to sit down and the pressure.
    • Posted

Have you seen a doctor or thought about going through with the surgery to have them removed?   I am so scared to take the plunge on surgery in case thst isn't the source of the problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.