Are hives during illness helpful?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been sick for a week with strep bad cough and flu. Now for the past three days I've had massive hives from head to toe. My question is if the hives had not presented would my flu have been worse or lasted longer? Although horrible do they serve some purpose in lessening the severity of an illness?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I doubt it I dont know of any purpose they would serve.. I had a cold then got the hives and they have never left and it has been one year.. I am taking xolair shots now for them.. You may want to ask your doctor about this tho.. Hope you are feeling better and your hives are gone

• Posted

Jana I am sorry to hear that your hives continued after your cold went away and that they have troubled you for over a year does that mean that the histamin continues and that your immune system was damaged from your cold? I had 4 full days and nights of giant hives and horribly itching palms of hands and soles of feet they have now dissipated and all that remains of my cold is a really bad cough. I spent a lot of time researching in between rounds of hives and found a lot of material about either people having too much of something in their system or too little or things that would offset the hives such as foods that are natural antihistamines. I hope you are able to find what is wrong so that you don't have to continue those shots thank you for your response and your thoughts.

• Posted

Hi Candy 

I too hope i can get off these shots.... Two allergists and three dr do not know what is causing my hives.. They say it is one of the hardest things to diagnose and find a reason for.. I wish i knew I have tried journals, foods everything and still i get them.. I had them years ago when i was pregnant and they went away until this year. I hope yours are gone for good.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.