Are hyperthyroidsim and Graves disease the same thing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and am currently running the gauntlet of various hospital departments (eyes, endo, and I have a mysteriously broken bone as well). Can someone tell me if Graves and hyper are always the same thing - or if Graves is a 'version' for want of a better description, of the condition? I can't seem to get clarity on this from the interweb thingy.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello there!  I've been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I've been told that it's probably Graves' disease as my tsh level is less than 0.01 but haven't been given a formal diagnosis of Graves without further testing which I am due to undergo next week - this to me suggests that that Graves is a 'form' of hyperthyroidism - hope this helps? 
  • Posted

Graves disease causes hyperthyroidism but hyperthyroidism isn't Graves Disease. Graves disease is an autoimmune thyroid disease. Thyroiditis and nodular goiter can also cause hyperthyroidism without the autoimmune disease. I have multi nodular goiter and thyroiditis but do not have autoimmune disease. I think if it's not autoimmune it is called Plummets disease. Whatever the cause the symptoms are horrid. I have had this for 6 years and it seems regardless of what doctors tell me, my thyroid has no intention of burning out.
  • Posted

Hi there! I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism three years ago, after frist set of bloodwork and first appointment with the endo I was told I had both hyperthy and Graves Disease. There was a question mark on whether i had eye disease as my eyes were giving me trouble (blurred vision, itchy, sore, sometimes double vision) but after a check up after two years of being diagnosed I was thankful to hear I didnt have eye disease. I was also referrred for a bone density test to check for osteoporosis last year as it is a common side affect but again thankfully I didnt have it either; I was sure I had as I had aches and pains, stiffness in my joints and very cold bones if that makes sense but the nurse told me there and then that I didnt have the osteoporosis, even though my bloodwork T4 and T3 i think its called!, seems to be lowering but the tsh staying at 0.02 this shows the Graves I was told, but after reading a lot of positive posts on here about taking L-Carnitine that it can almost eliminate the graves antibodies, I have started taking it and am anxious to see what my next blood test shows, you would feel rubbish honestly its a bummer at times, I lsot a lot of weight which i had expected initially but hadnt been on the correct dose of neomercazole either, only 20mg daily, it did nothing to sort out the protruding goitre in my neck, when i got the dosage increased to 60mg a day, the goitre has started to reduce everybody tells me, but a lot of weight gain and dizzy spells as a result. In one way i know the dosage is working though as my last set of bloods were much lower at 26 (they were greater than 100 at Easter), dizzy spells have lessened in the last week but am running on empty most of the time, hang in there though once they get the dosage right and get started yourself on the L-Carnitine you will start to feel much better smile
    • Posted

Low TSH isnt necessarily a sign of Graves- have you checked your thyroid on ultra sound for nodules?

N

• Posted

I felt better on the regular L-Carnitine but what really helped was the Acetyl-L-carnitine.  It helped to normalize all my values including TSH.  Sometimes I took both the Regular and the Acetyl.   I am happy to hear you have noticed an improvement in your symptoms after starting the L-Carnitine.
  • Posted

Graves disease is validated by checking for Graves antibodies in a blood test.  Otherwise it is called iatrogenic hyperthyroidism.  Whatever the cause, treatment is aimed at normalizing thyroid hormones.  L-Carnitine, especially Acetyl-L-Carnitine really helps with this.  Google L-Carnitine and Graves on the Internet and you will see a lot of information about this.  It as helped me and others on this Board tremendously.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Since my diagnosis I have been SO careful with my diet - no alcohol, no snacks, just two pieces of toast in the morning, one soft boiled egg and 1 slice of toast at lunchtime, and a small meal in the evening, followed by fruit. I have been counting calories and am coming in at less than 1200 a day. Result? In seven days I have gained two pounds. #feeling cheated.
  • Posted

Are you on Carbimazole or PPU and at what dosage? Or have you had RAI or surgery? The antithyroid drugs block the excessive thyroid hormones and do cause weight gain. So do the other two treatments of surgery or RAI. Also, there are other factors in weight loss, like high protein, low carb that work. You are eating a lot of bread which has gluten and not much protein from the sounds of it. You also need to exercise. Need more information here.
  • Posted

Sorry, I ddn't read your prior posts. If you have started the L-Carntine, when you take your next blood tests, if your TSH rises, you will need to lower your dose of meds. You can do this with your doctor's help. When you lower your dosage of meds, that should help also with weight loss.
    • Posted

I'm  not on L-Carnitine, not sure where you got that idea from. Just on Carbimazole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.