are kidney problems in the genes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Im just looking for information on a kidney issue.

My wife was born with one kidney, she only found out age 23.

What i want to ask though, is this genetic. Should i be concerned about my kids kidneys?

It never really bothered my wife through her life and was only discovered in the end by chance when investigating another medical matter. But i think if there is a chance my kids might have just one kidney i think id like to know asap.

Thanks, dan.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan

I, too have one kidney - although born with two, one was removed in my early teens and it was then revealed that it hadn't worked since birth. I rang the National Kidney Federation yesterday with a query about my Chronic Kidney Disease and high blood pressure and, as I had just read your post, I thought I'd put your question to them at the same time. Their answer was that it wasn't genetic but just 'one of those things'. Hope that helps. Interestingly though, my cousin's daughter has three kidneys!

MrsO

• Posted

MrsO thanks very much.

That has helped alot.

I also didnt know someone could have 3 kidneys.

Thanls again, i really appreciate it.

• Posted

Dan

I don't know if you're still looking in but following our recent posts, did you see Piers Morgan's programme with Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet last evening? Martin Kemp has 3 kidneys whilst his brother, Gary, was born with one. Amazing!

• Posted

hi again,

no i didnt see it- il try to catch a repeat tho because it sounds interesting.

It makes me a little more concerned and interested tho as i have twin sons, so it makes me wonder further about the whole situation.

Thanks again

dan

• Posted

My grandma was born with kidney, and so was I..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.