Are knee braces helpful after TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am a 31 year old female about to have a TKR due to severe arthritis caused by PVNS. Currently I have very weak quads and calves in my bad knee from major loss of knee extension. Iv heard that it's really hard to go into replacement surgery with weak muscles. I was wondering if I should get a knee brace for after surgery to help with some support until I get my strength back? Has anyone tried these webbing braces and if so do they help? I know some of the immobilizing braces actually cause atrophy. Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You must work as hard as you can to build those muscles up before surgery.  What does your doctor say?  Mine sent me to PT 2-3 times a week prior to surgery.  
  • Posted

How long till surgery?  You will need to ask the dr about a brace after surgery...I was told no.  
  • Posted

Agree with the others. I was diagnosed with need for PKR two years ago. Doc sent me to PT twice a week for a good two monthes prior. Not only did I have better function and less pain but easier recovery. Used braces prior but none since or just having gone through tkr of other knee. Stretch, stretch, stretch, build up those quads, PT, PT, PT. Your recovery will go so much better.  You're young -so be tough. Good luck!
  • Posted

I am having surgery in 3 weeks 😁 I had open knee surgery to remove the tumors 6 months ago. I did 2 months of PT but I developed bone spurs on the outsides of my knee cap so during extension excercises those spurs would jab into the soft tissue around my knee and were very painful! I was able to get 90 degrees in flexion but I reached a plateau and it was about as good as it was going to get. Iv run out of ideas on how to work the quads when you can't extend your leg of stretching the quad when you can only bend 90 degrees.
  • Posted

Knee braces are the last thing you want

...they actually have a tendency to make muscles weaker. To strengthen the quads lay flat then elevate your head a bit wit a pillow. Roll a small towel and put under your ankle. Slowly start tightening all the muscles in your upper leg. When tight hold for count of 5.....relax and repeat 10 times working up to 15. Next excercise....in the same position and tightening the leg lift the leg to a 20 degree angle....hold for 5 count and slowly lower to bed. Do this 10 times and increase to 15. If you have time, do 2 sets a day. Like you, I've been fighting PVNS now for almost 14 years, 11 surgeries and 30 rounds of radiation. My advice is let them operate but fight the for all your worth if they want to do radiation. I know it's pretty hard to tell a surgeon that some old guy on the internet said no but it burned me up so bad it was hard for me to straighten the Leg after my 1tkr. BTW how much experience has your Dr had with PVNS? My 1st ortho group consisting of 8 surgeons and over 100 yrs experience and had never seen a case. I moved over to a university teaching hospital where it is more common. My Dr has treated over 2 dozen cases and they have 2 ortho oncologists who really specilize in bone tumors. One of the O/O's did a synovectomy on me a year before the tkr. She acknowledged the tumor was so big that it wasn't possible to get it all because of the places where it had imbeded. The last 6 surgeries have verified there is a quantity that sits on a bundle of nerves and a mistep in removing it could cost me not only the use of The leg but the leg itself. Good luck and be sure and ask a million questions as this is not an every day problem you are dealing with.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice!! I did allot of those in PT but honestly I couldn't even feel my quad moving when I would do those Excercises. I use to workout out everyday before my knee got bad so I'm used to lifting heavy weights doing squats and leg presses. It doesn't feel like I'm getting anything out of it. I'm going to start doing them everyday before surgery.

I do not plan on doing radiation at all. I plan on starting the experimental drugs after surgery to stop future Tumor growth. Have you heard about those? My Dr stood me he was not going to be doing anymore tumors removal through the back of my knee bc it was way too risky.

Dr Monson is the head of orthopedic oncology at Emory University in Atlanta, GA where I live. He has done all of my surgeries and I have been really pleased with them. I know he has experience with PVNS but not a whole lot since it's pretty rare.

• Posted

I'm in the Kansas city area and use the University of Kansas medical school. Do you have the difussed type or the the type that's like a bakers cyst in structure. I have the discussed type and when it broke open my leg bled back up into my abdomen. They had to open me up 3 times and take out nearly a soda can of blood (200 cc) out each time and had it intubated 6 times removing 65 - 75 c.c. each time. All of that from the 1st week in Sept. through the last week in Dec. I'll check with my Dr the next time insee him concerning the new drug to stop the tumor. They went in through the side with a scope. I know between the tumor and staph infections I've about had it. I started this at age 65 and now I'm age 79. You stay positive and keep up the excercises. Don't expect a quick turn of the corner as it's a very gradual thing.
  • Posted

Invest in one of the portable machines for abs, it will do the same for your thigh muscles (provided they are the pads).  Test the settings and find one that stimulates the muscle.  It is cheating but everyone needs help sometimes.  Other than that, sit on a chair and push your foot down, as if you are about to stand, you should feel the area of your muscle tensing, you can do that for as many times as you like, the harder you push and hold the better for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.