Are Lichen Sclerosus and Granuloma Annulare connected?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am now suffering with both Lichen Sclerosus as well as Granuloma Annulare which is rapidly spreading. Does anyone else suffer with Both of these? I have read up quite a bit and it appears to be connected to my auto immune system, i have pots and pots of creams am having PUVA light treatment and both problems are no better. Any ideas please?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had never heard of this and so I had to Google it.  

Probably in your shoes I would seriously think about my diet, and going Gluten free for a while to see if that is the cause, because if you are Gluten intolerant and continue to take Gluten into your body you can become even more sick...

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in Feb of last year, then Lichen Schlerosus a couple of months after, and then GERD, and then I went Gluten free and I have been so much better until recently when the new medication I was taking was found to have  Gluten inside which has made me ill over Christmas.   I am still recovering from all this and at my worst I had a terrible rash along my hairline which itched constantly and I also had terribly itchy eyes.

This is something to think about, and for anybody really that has skin problems, diet can sometimes be the cause.

If your car only takes petrol and you continue to put diesel into it you are going to have some serious problems......

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your thoughts i will seriously consider this option.

• Posted

Hi Monique,

I agree with Guppy - diet has a lot to do with it.  Plus the baking soda regiment combined with coconut oil (for the LS)  

I follow an alkaline diet - mainly no gluten, no dairy.  Small pieces of meat.  No sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine.  The skin disease on hands and feet are gone.  The LS is symptom free.  Of course diligent care is needed at all times.  

Hope this is of some help.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply considering this option, have nothing to lose by giving it a go.
  • Posted

Hi Monique, I have lichen sclerosus as well as granuloma annulare (along with being hypothyroid).  The lichen sclerosus is now under pretty good control with clobetasol and estrace, but the granuloma annulare is now spreading. Ugh! I need to go back to the derm, who said he could use injections to clear up the GA. Have you had any success in treating it? I don't believe in the dietary approach to treating auto-immune conditions.

• Posted

Perhaps it is helpful that I add something from my experience - clobetasol was affecting my adrenal gland functioning.  And that's where your immune system resides and is thus affected.  At present I use only the minimum amount of clobetasol and only when really necessary. 

?A note on my strict diet: Consuming too much sugar has almost an immediate negative affect on my LS.  Same with cheese. (goat cheese is fine)

?Knowing my weak adrenal glands -  next to stress, sugar, caffeine, alcohol are better left alone.  And for the thyroid I'm gluten free.  Adrenal glands and thyroid have to be in balance with each other, I was told.  Complicated stuff. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.