Are my blood test normal? (TSH)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've got my thyroid tested on 3 different occasions 

First was at 08/12/15 TSH level was 6 mU/L

& then at 11/01/16 TSH Level was 4.2 mU/L (Dropped abit)

Most recent blood test from a few days ago was 01/07/16  My TSH level went back to 6 mU/L

also my T4 = 16 pmol/L in all the 3 test.

My doctor said these test are abit over normal but nothing to worry about. Should I be concerned about these results? I do suffer depression (sometimes) and low energy could this be caused from the elevated TSH levels?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hya...

I had a tsh of 6.2...I was feeling dreadful....I was put on levythyroxine after a few months,I felt just as bad but different symptoms,ie....could hardly walk first thing,..in the end I looked up a few things,diet lifestyle etc....and am going it alone...I'm postmenopausal aswell so Gp put most things down to this...oh...and I am now on the good old antideppressants to....got fed up of over thinking....do take care x

• Posted

Hello Jwinchester:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's autoimmune Thyroid disease since 1987.

The TSH test (Thyroid stimulating hormone) is a quick over view and a snapshot of how the thyroid is doing.  It is always in flux. It is a sensor hormone.  It is not a great test to rely on.

Normal TSH should be  0.45 to 4.50 and if the number is on the high end it means HYPO or under active.   Low end is Hyper.

It can jump around and stress can effect it some and so can other conditions.  You may need a change in your thyroid med.  If you have 2 results that are on the high end you may need more thyroid hormone.

Better tests to check the health of the thyroid are:  T3 and T4 level and FT3 and FT4.  TPOA & TGab antibodies tests.  Also B12, ferritin levels and Vit D should be checked as many of us with HYPO have low levels of Ferritin & D and B12.

If you are not on thyroid meds, ask for a trial of Levo 25mcg a starter dose. Many doctors will allow this.  It must be taken on an empty stomach.  You must wait 1 hour before eating after taking it.  Food blocks it from working.

Symptoms of HYPO are: feeling tired, depressed, feeling cold, losing hair, low body temp, low pulse, weight gain, sleepy, lo energy, bruising, brittle nails and dry skin, muscle aches and pains. these are common ones and there are more.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelly,

Thanks for your response. 

On the thyroid test it also shows 2 other results:

athryo'gb 10 u/mL

aPeroxase 39 u/mL

My vitamin D is now 30 ng/L (77 nmol/L), it was 18 ng/L (46 nmol/L) but I been supplementing to make it go up.

I'm also 21 male and normal weight

• Posted

Hello Jwinchester:

Thyroid disease hits during ages 20 to 45.  It tends to hit women more than men.  It can be passed on via DNA and can skip a generation.

Thyroid antibodies are normally friendly (in our immune system) and in some of us they turn against our bodies and attack our thyroid. A theory on why this happens is thought to be from Epstein -Barr virus which was called Mononulceosis back in the day.  Also stress and drugs can cause problems and family history can be a reason.

They use these tests to see if you have autoimmune thyroid disease.  I have it.

TPOA  (Thyroid Peroxase Antibodies),  should be  0 to 34 and you are  above that.  So it should be looked at further to determine Hashimoto's thyroid disease which is a common form and is autoimmune. The number can rise if no replacement hormone is taken.  I have seen it way over 1000.

TGab is called Thyroglobulin  antibody and the normal is 0.0 to 9 and 10 is above the level. Both of these tests, use different methoods to test.

Ideally all antibodies should be close to 0.  So from the look of things, you most likely have the early stages of Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

Vit D should be 30 to 100 and for a 21 year old it should be way higher.  Thyroid patients are low in it.  You need to get the level up to 50 or above for your age group.  I am 55 and I am at 30.

If you can get it via diet good but we need good D so you may need good supplements.  So keep at it.

Ferritin is another thing, it is a component of Iron and men do not need iron as much but you should have it checked.  Thyroid meds need good Ferritin levels.

Are you on thyroid replacement meds?  If not, ask the doctor for it.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly thanks for the information

I'm not on any medication yet and the doctor told me to wait another 7 months to get my thyroid tested again. I feel like I should be put on medication already as I've already had my thyroid tested on 3 different occasions and in all tests the TSH is high.

I believe my 72 year old grandma (on my dad side) has hypothyroidism she's on medication for it so It may be a family thing as you noted. 

Ill try talking to my doctor to put me on medication.

• Posted

Hello Jwinchester:

Explain to your doctor that a Starter dose of Levothyroxine would help you and that you do not wish to wait another 7 months. Your health  matters!  Your blood speaks loudly with many abnormal results.  Most doctors do not have a problem with a low dose.

I know they like 2 lab/blood work that is abnormal readings but it means you are going to get more antibodies if left untreated. Plus more symptoms of Hypo may show up.

If you are in the USA, simply ask the doctor and explain the family history.  If you are in the UK, they have "NICE" guidelines I am told  and you can ask that your doctor follow this protocol. Also explain the family connection.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelly,

I went to a different doctor & they agreed that I have Subclinical Hypothyroidism and they prescribed me levo 50mcg (lowest dose). They also requested me to get an ultrasound on my thyroid. I'll start my dose tomorrow, will keep you updated.

thanks for the help

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Just a question about my results.

The result for the aThryo'gb is < 10 normal range is U/mL (< 60 )

does the " < " sign indicate negative 10?

the aPeroxase is 39 normal range is u/mL (< 60)

My Doctor told me today that the antibodies are negative. Does that rule out auto immune diseases?

• Posted

Hello JWinchester:

The <10 means under 10 is normal or negative.

Some labs use lower than 10 or 9 for the Thyroglobulin test.

TPOA (Peroxase), uses lower than 34 at some labs and it looks like your lab is saying under 60 is okay.

If he is using the lab referance range then it would look normal but you can be at the early stages when things are low but as time marches on it can rise.  Make sure they test you again in 6 months or so, and insist on it.  If you have a family history of it this is very wise.

Most doctors like the antibodies near 0.

Also ask to see an Endocrinologist as they know the thyroid well. This kind of doctor is more knowledgeable about autoimmune and thyroid troubles.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello JWinchester:

Well that is great news.  So make sure you take the Levo 50mcg on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour before food.  Food block the medication.  You should feel symptoms subside in 6 to 12 weeks.  It can take the body a bit of time to build a proper level.

Ultrasound is wise, I had one done also.  Any nodules or cysts or abnormal findings like size of the gland will show.  Please update me on how you do and your report.  I can help you understand it.

All the best to you,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.