Are my BP readings bad?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys I've got my own BP machine and regularly take my reading but it's been a bit alarming at how high it's been. Today it was 178/105 but it dropped a bit especially the top one to 153/98. It's the bottom one that concerns me as it's rarely below 90. Is this a cause for concern? Also my diet has been poor lately as well - lots of sugary foods like chocolate, cakes, milkshakes, full fat butter, red meats. Will laying off the sweet stuff especially help my BP? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI GARETH, just go and get it checked, virus, stress, dehydration can cause it to go high. mine goes high at docs and at work, if i get engrossed in a film or bath mine goes to normal. problems occur when it remains high and does not come down. join the highblood pressure group on facebook.

• Posted

You need to be at rest for fifteen minutes or longer, it should not be right after a meal, and you have to make sure you're using the cuff correctly and relaxing as best you can.

If you're doing all that and your numbers are still that high, yes, they're too high.

Laying off sweets and fats won't fix your BP anytime soon. How's your weight? Do you get any exercise? Salt is probably the dietary item that will affect your BP the most in the short term.

If your lowest readings of the day are over about 140/90, go see a doctor.

If your lowest readings of the day are over about 150/100, expect to go home with a prescription or two, at the least.

• Posted

Thanks for replies. I'm age 35 and 13 stone. I've had bad chronic stress (nuisance neighbours) for 10 years so I guess that can be a factor in my BP?

• Posted

HI Gareth

Agree with others. Just wanted to add that also have specific problem with diastolic (second reading) AM 59, been on bp meds fir about seven years, but still struggle to get diastolic below 90. I still work (stressful) and often goes to 100. I sometimes get crazy, unbalanced readings like 129/100. I know systolic now regarded as more significant, but still worried and unable to find a fix. (Don't want to take a third bp med!)

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.