Are my chapped lips from a yeast infection on a new allergy from using too much lip balm?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on Roaccutane twice the first cycle 6 months 40mg twice a day (April 2015) and 80mg twice a day for 2 months on the second (April 2016).  When I first began Roaccutane I was fully aware of the side effects of the medication so I always used lip balms to hydrate my lips (mainly carmex) that worked perfectly fine.  Whilst I was on my second round of R my lips became extremely chapped to the point were thick layers of skin were hanging off the top and bottom lip whilst I was using a carmex medi plus.  Immediately I stopped the medication and began using bepathen lip cream, which was advised by my dermatologist, but there were no improvements.   I noticed after my second round of Roaccutane the balms were not helping but only adding to the problem, my lips got more severe the more I applied.  The skin inside my lips also began to peel.  I have tried most commercial balms; Aquaphor, Blistex, plain vaseline, beeswax which were all fine before this problem began but now have an opposite effect.  I do use coconut oil, olive oil and honey (when I am at home) but it doesn't fix the root of the problem.  I noticed when I use products containing Lanolin the dead skin becomes white and moist; my lips feel like they are sweating.  When I use plain Vaseline mixed with coconut oil my lips burn as if I've put acid on them, since then I noticed small red bumps had formed.   I was exfoliating the dead skin but it would only expose raw skin underneath so I stopped because I felt it was only prolonging the healing process. 

Medication I am currently using:

I am using Clotrimazol again (past 12 days) and Triamcinolone (past 2 days) and it is helping.

Previously:  hydrocortisone, Clotrimazol (used together in June for 3 weeks) no improvements.   Clioquinol (July - 2 weeks) no improvements and Ampho-moronal lozenges ( October 1 week) which stopped the peeling inside of the mouth.

The antifungal creams don't seem to be working.  5 months and i'm still dealing with this and it's really causing crippling anxiety so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

To me?

It's a bit of both. You have been using too many products and I'm guessing without asking you doctor first?

That said you should go back for professional advice.

In the meantime only use what you were prescribed

and things should improve.

It looks as if you might also be allergic to the fungal infection?

So some extra help required from your doctor.

Good luck as it will heal with a proper care plan.

• Posted

Hey Trish,

Firstly thank you so much for replying smile.  The creams I have used have either been prescribed or authorised by my dermatologist.  I found out I am allergic to Lanolin but my dermatologist is running more tests as she believes there is an infection also.  I can't wait for this to be over! 

• Posted

I have a this problem more than 2 year

My lips turn white when contact with water. And lips layer automatically remove. Its cause burning. And next raw layer also remove automatically every alternative day.

Plzzzzz help me because no one doctor n medicine can solve my problem and i m very serious about this.....???

• Posted

Carmen is extremely drying. Use a medicated lip ointment available OTC at drug stores. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your message!  I will try a chemical free ointment for eczema/sensitive skin as products containing petroleum and Lanolin irritate my lips.  
  • Posted

I have a this problem more than 2 year

My lips turn white when contact with water. And lips layer automatically remove. Its cause burning. And next raw layer also remove automatically every alternative day.

Plzzzzz help me because no one doctor n medicine can solve my problem and i m very serious about this.....???

• Posted

I was told by my derm to stop using toothpaste with sodium laural sulfate as an ingredient as it is what is used as a industrial cleaner. It's also put it many soaps toothpastes, shampoos, body & hand lotions and a million other products. It took a few days and I no longer have the lip drying problem raw lips or skin issues. Try using glycerine on lips & skin  it's a natural moisturizer. Never use any products with SLS .

• Posted

My story is 99% similar to yours. did you eventually get cured?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.