Are my scabies back or am I being neurotic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I contracted scabies around December time and they did not show up until January (due to them taking about 6 weeks). For weeks I was scratching away at myself constantly and thought I was just losing my mind. Turns out, I had scabies. I got antihistamines and Derbac M and applied it several times over the course of two weeks. I changed my bedsheets, washed all my clothes and even dry cleaned my coat and everything seemed to be settled. I didn't itch for about a week and was completely relieved up until three nights ago when all of a sudden I began scratching at myself like a mad woman. I've been itching intensely since. I've been checking myself for burrows and can't seem to find any except for two on the top of my breast, but I am unsure if they are healing ones from before or new ones as they are in the same place from previous burrows. I have found a lot of raised, red bumps on my skin (especially my legs) but I'm also unsure about those as they could be shaving rashes. I'm honestly at my wits end. If you've had scabies then you know the extent of the mental toll it can have on you, which leads me to wonder if I have scabies again or if I am just being neurotic and am suffering from post-scabie itches, but if that were the case why would I have stopped for a week and suddenly start again very intensely? I have booked an appointment with my GP and I'm considering begging her for the oral treatment even though it's only really prescribed to people with extreme scabies. I'm also going to go into the chemists tomorrow and buy some permethrin. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'd appreciate it greatly.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, honestly I couldn't tell you weather or not if it's actual scabies or just post scabies. The super intense itching at night would lead me to believe it's live scabies mites. I do know that I tried permitherin cream countless times, even going to the extreme to putting it on my face. (I know your not supposed to do this, but I was desperate and they are basically invisible to us). Anyways, permitherin never worked and the only thing that did was Ivermectin. I know that they say it's only for severe scabies, but in my opinion EVERY case is severe, I mean I couldn't even function when I had them. Also why not take a for sure treatment to get rid of them once and for all and finally try to get back to normal. I'm almost 100% if you take the Ivermectin and take all precautions you already have with the other treatments I'm sure you will be on your way to somewhat normalcy.

• Posted

Thank you Anthony. I agree with you that all cases of scabies is severe, seeing as they seem to be impossible to get rid of entirely with just creams. The derbac m took a while to work as well and I was skeptical when I was 'cured.' You've instilled some hope back in me, thanks smile

• Posted

Good moring Iver

If that was the firt time you have ever had them, then there's no reason that permithrin shouldn't work. Derbac M is quite good too.Firstly, Did you have anyone else to apply the treatment to the various parts of your body you can't reach... it does help. Secondly, with permithrin, the instructions are to apply a second treatment a week after the first. The reason for that is that that the first treatment may not kill everything inside the burrows.  If 1 female, or a pregnant female and 1 male survives... so the cycle starts again.The cleaning protocol must be follows to the letter.  That's laundering all bedding, towels, and a thorough clean throughout. Likewise anything you may have worn  during the infected period... i.e. your coat etc. It's a very unpleasant thing to have and the treatment isn't nice  either. I can appreciate why people do get a bit paranoid about it -  that's understandable. One thing to think about is how you might have picked up in the first place.... has that person still got it and have you been in contact with them since.  If you don't live alone, everybody i the household should be treated, regardless .  Sorry if it sounds like doom and gloom, but your g.p. will prescribe for you and should be able to identify it... I say should?  You may have already done some reading about the breeding cycle etc. so understanding that does help.  Good luck, there's loads of people who have had it,  have got it now, and will get it in the future.. You are not alone... you're got people here who will listen and help you.   

• Posted

I think the eggs can survive some time in burrows. So the first treatment may not kill them all. I am treating myself with 5% Permethrin cream (and clove oil on the scalp, dilute it with any oil), and I will carry on until I am absolutely sure that no 'feelings' occur... I cover the whole body,  plus a dab on  anything that dares to make itself felt, plus regular dabs on anyhting that is 'open' .  I took ivermectin but  even that didn't get rid of them. It's all about timing of treatment and egg hatching ... so I treat myself daily now (after following instructions failed to make any real difference). I was told I was delusional, so my infestation has been developing nicely for a very long time! By the way I did catch one or two mites... I can feel them by finger, and I view them with a x10 magnifier. I am certain I have scabies  - without itching. It did read this is possible.

• Posted

Hi everyone! Thank you all for the comments and stories of your own experiences. I thought I'd give an update. I washed my bed sheets and put clean ones on, hoovered and cleaned my entire room. I showered and exfoliated my entire body because I figured that eliminating layers of dead skin might allow the cream to penetrate deeper into the skin and rid the little parasites from their homes, and I think it really made a difference. I applied permethrin cream all over my body from head to toe including my ears, nose and under my finger nails and toenails. I'm already feeling better. For anyone reading, the trick is to try and not let the thought of these 'bugs' on your body get the best of you, it is merely another disease like any other that needs persistent treatment. Another tip is to bathe in clove oil. This did absolute wonders for me, and even relieved a lot of the itching. Scabies will not win and we shall continue to rage against them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.