Are my stomach problems because of hypothyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been dealing with constipation for over a year and Its gradually gotten worse to the point im always constipated. I might be lucky and have a couple of days out the month where im feeling better but other than that i have to take laxatives otherwise nothing happens. Im constantly bloated and I also have bouts of nausea and throwing up after eating. It will feel like pressure in my chest and then food will come back up. The only food i can eat at the moment that stays down is salads however ive already lost over a stone in weight unintentionally. I also drink a protein gainer as i dont want to lose any more weight and this is fine for my stomach.

If i eat any heavier food such as meat, pasta, potato, even soups will cause a lot of abdonimal bloating, pain, throwing up and will make me even more constipated. 

I also have hypothryoidism so was assuming the constipation was related however im on medication and my recent blood tests show my tsh levels have gone down to around the level they should be. I still have other hypo symptoms such as fatigue, dark circles around my eyes and being cold. The only difference is that ive lost weight instead of gaining. When will my hypo symptoms go away?

Does anyone with hypothyroidism have the same stomach problems as myself? Are my stomach problems even because of my thyroid, or could it be something else? Ive even had a gastroscopy and everything came back fine. The doctors i see dont really help so im left feeling unsupported.

Im very miserable. I dont want to be like this all the time. Do hypo symtpoms even go away?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if I could be much help to you, but I just wanted to mention that I also have hypothyroidism and I am bloated everyday, still constipated and get nauseous EVERY time I eat.  My endo told me that most patients feel best when their TSH is at around 1.00.  Mine is at 0.67 right now and I still suffer the same bloatedness, nausea and constipation.  So I can't say for sure if they are because of the thyroid being my levels are where they should be, or something else is going on.

• Posted

I have all those symptoms except actually being sick. My GP said it was because I was over medicated, who knows?

I lowered my dose and at first felt better but gradually got worse. Now trying to get back on track, good luck

• Posted

If you are taking either Levothyroxine or Synthroid, ask to try Cytomel 5 mcg...most people feel a lot better on both T4 and T3...some of us have bodies that find it difficult to efficiently convert T4 into T3.

Also, docusate sodium taken daily will soften the stool and help even put the constipation laxative routine.

Are you perhaps sensitive to wheat products.

• Posted

hi yes im taking levothyroxine. I have an appointment this week so i will ask for cytomel.

And as for my food issues the days that i feel fine i can eat whatever i want and be ok but when my stomach problems begin to surface again thats when i have problems. This all started around the same time as my thyroid problems so im hoping its all related as i dont want anymore health problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.