Are my symptoms GERD related? am not sure now

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sorry, me again! -  I have an ultrasound scan scheduled for 17 April and waiting also for an Endoscopy test.  I am just not so sure whether my current symptoms are GERD related.  I saw the GP on Friday and she has given me Lansoprazole (30mg) to take (I used to take Omeprazole).   I have been diagnosed with GERD for the last 12 years but never had any tests to confirm this, hence i am glad to now be having these tests done.  My symptoms seem to switch from 'stitch like pain' under right rib, radiating to the lower back to feeling of pressure under right shoulder blade and feelings of food getting stuck (i can eat and drink OK).  I told my GP on Friday that i'm now really worried i have something serious like cancer of the oesphagus but she told me that if that was the case i would not be able to eat and drink and that my weight would plummet quickly.  I felt slightly reassured by this but once your mind starts running wild, you have all sorts of worries.  I am 52, female, obese but slowly losing weight as i go to a slimming class so i am trying to lose weight for my health but these feelings/symptoms i am getting just recently are beginning to worry me.  I am worried my oeosphagus is damaged in some way but i guess the tests i will be having soon will hopefully put my mind at rest.  Has anyone else with GERD had these sort of symptoms?  I am aware that it could be gallbladder related too but the feeling of food getting stuck would not be gallbladder.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Symptoms do vary for example I don't get heartburn. The endoscopy will tell you whether there is any damage so its a great test. PPIs are known to heal and they do it pretty quickly.

Your GP has given you some good advice, don't worry, its probably nothing serious. I have been in real pain for a couple of days and my meds are not working too well, cause, well I suspect something I ate. Will I worry, no not at all, unless I have still have it after a few weeks. At the moment its an annoyance but life is full of those

• Posted

It could be gerd but worth getting gallbladder checked, I had infected gallbladder and i got the pain on right and it went through to right shoulderblade. I had endless tests and it was only that when i had it removed that it was seen to be infected, my discomfort went from that moment on
  • Posted

This could be me, I am also having the food getting stuck symptons occasionally and the pain under right rib area, although I have diverticular disease and have had a bad bout this week, I also mentioned to my GP that I was convinced I have oesophageul cancer and she said she doubted it as I was eating and drinking, but today am really freaked out as I weight myself on the wii every weekend and today I have 5 pounds in a week, how is this possible, yes I too am overweight and have not been eating so much this week, but 5lbs crikey I am so anxious, I have to collect blood tests from GP tomorrow so will mention it then, I also about gallbladder, it is really tender where sternum ends in fleshy between ribs. I have been taking probiotic tablets and drinking loads of green and mint tea, not sure if this affects weight as am going to wee a lot more. Still cannot believe 5lbs is good. So scared am 55 and not ready to go yet as I have a 16 year old. Keep me posted how you get on and I will update you likewise.
    • Posted

Yes we do sound similar. I just can't wait now to get these 2 tests out the way, it's the not knowing if anything is wrong. I'm quite sure the doctor is right and know when something is a cause for concern or not, I guess we just have to trust them. I lost 1.5 lbs at my slimming class this week so I am losing nice and steady. Are you dieting? I wouldn't worry too much about losing 5lbs, just keep an eye on it. I have had this feeling before of lump in throat and food getting stuck but GP has always put it down to GERD. Will keep you all posted and you do likewise
    • Posted

Hi, these are classic symptoms of Gerd so try not to worry and take your tablets to block acid regularly. I have silent reflux and throat issues and inflamed oesophagus so worry too and am trying a low acid diet but as I'm already on low Fodmap diet it's quite hard as running out of food to eat. Good luck with your tests xx
  • Posted

Hi there ,

When I went to the GP to complain about the pain on my right side that woke me up in the middle of the night , I was told it's indigestion.She asked me to lie down on the examination bed and palpated the organs there and she told me it would be extremely painful when palpated if it is something like gallstones or any other organs that are anatomically positioned in that area.Little did I know that I have a classic sign of Gerd which is heartburn and I  would also wake up in the middle of the night with hyperacidity. btw I am 46  y.o. female.They say it could be gastric ulcers or any type of ulcers. Until now I'm off and on with my Omeprazole 25 mg every morning. I don't have the heartburn anymore but it was traded with another symptom - constant burping.Went to see the GP, had bloodworks and everything is fine.I needed to lose weight so I had several attempts of taking commercial diet pills and diet drops which is just a total waste of money. I wanted to lose weight cause when I wake up in the morning the tummy is kinda flat and ok but  as the hours passes by it is like blown with gas. Bloated and feeling of fullness.So many things playing on my mind,which I try to distract by keeping myself busy with zumba and gardening.Until, this one unforgetable morning when I woke up and something is stuck in my throat. I tried to expel it, to cough it to clear my throat . I even managed to touch it and there was a spiny projection pointing upward, sorry for the detail. however no lump is palpable and left side is smooth.I think it's Globus Sensation. I suffer this now and then. I am currently taking Vit B12 due to burning tongue. I drink Aloe Vera juice with honey and ginger with warm water at night.I gargle with warm water , salt and turmeric.My world is not the same since then. It feels like when you are trying to hold back your tears.

Exercise is fine as long as no bending forward as well as gardening as I've read somewhere that some of the activities trigger the acid activity.

I am comsidering TCM or traditional chinese medicine andaccupuncture for my globus.

Just wonder how do we lessen the feeling of discomfort. I tried all the best possible diet  less acidic food I mean, I take my medicines religiously.

I also meditate listening to throat chakra.

Hope  we all feel well.

• Posted

Yes my GP made me lie on the couch and started pressing and prodding over my abdomen but no pain on touching. The pain is mild, a bit like when you get a stitch through running and little pricking pains, quite strange really. I don't really want them to find anything but if a cause can be found the scan should pick it up. Although I am not looking forward to the endoscopy test, I really need to have it for the sensation in my throat and gullet.
    • Posted

HI Diamond, I notice you take B12 for burning tongue, I too have this a lot lately, did have problems with anemia last year but test results today show nothing, so not sure why my tongue is sore, I have been taking those slow release hoemogloblin B12 tablets and wanted to know how you found out about tongue apart from googling as I mentioned it to GP and she said nothing. I am a bit worried about whether you can overdose on B12 if your results show all ok?
    • Posted

Hi youngheart,I initially felt pins and needles in my tongue  and think that it was the acid that's really burning it.The chemist is the one who actually informed me that if you are on PPI like Omeprazole  you will lose important vitamins especially the B12 or the Bcomplex. When  I take the Omeprazole 25 in the morning, i wait for at least 30 mins. before I have a buffet of my supplements,Vit B12 drops, St. John's Wort for my nerves,Woman's multivitamins then before bedtime that's when I take my Evening primrose and Magnesium to send me to a good night sleep.I try as much as possible to take everything from food , diet and exercise but to no avail, that's why I try to take these supplements.The contraindications that I 'm aware of would be allergy to Cobalamin (Vit B12),if you've got hereditary disease such as Leber's disease , or if you were operated in your heart and you've got stent.I find it beneficial as it is not that worse anymore for my tongue , it is still there I know.but not as worse before like someone's running a sharp brush on my tongue. read about Plum Pit Qi ( chinese term for globus) and they said that there's something wrong with your liver if you suffer from this. my bloodworks are ok because when i look at the mirror in the morning I see teeth marks on the sides of my tongue and my tongue feels big  please don't take my word for it, what's effective for me might be bad for you, it still wise to consult your GP as she knows your medical history.Actually, there are more positive benefits of B12 that I should've known early on.hope this helps.
  • Posted

Had my Gall Bladder removed, befor that the pain was horrific, i would roll around on the ground, or floor depending when it happened in a terrible sweat,and being sick,for along while, then it would all switch off.

I have Gerd, had the camera down my throat, and Endoscopy test, there is nothing to worry about with the tests. as then you will know what is wrong.

I take medication, but I do have chronic coughing fits, masses of phelm from mouth & nose, throwing up food, Nausea.

I have a long wedge to keep my had higher than tummy, i kept slipping down it, so bought another wedge to keep my feet up [Dr's orders - ankles swelling] now i no longer slip down, i get a better sleep at nights, i hope every thing goes well with your tests.

• Posted

I am not in agony as you describe (sounds awful), it's weird but no idea what it is but I have had it on and off for months now. I too have a wedge pillow which helps. I will see how it goes the next few days taking the Lansoprazole and hope symptoms improve while I wait for my tests. I just want to get my health sorted and hope to get my half stone weight loss award this week at WW.
  • Posted

someone said they get crackling noises in their throat, I do at night, seems very loud, i think its phelm.
    • Posted

hi,

mine sounds like you're clashing  2 marbles together.i get it when i swallow involuntarily.i 've tried warm saline solution for that phlegm, warm water, dash of salt and dash of turmeric.just saying hope it helps you .

• Posted

I was wondering if others have similar symptoms to me.  As you can see from my original post, i have suffered from acid reflux for many years.  I sleep with a wedge pillow to keep myself elevated.  I do find that when i wake up in the morings and still lying down, i can hear regugitation going on in my throat ie like a cracking sound, like popping candy sound, does this sound familiar with anyone?
  • Posted

Yep I do have those. There's even one night when I was half asleep then become fully awake that I hear a dripping sound inside there of course in my throat. It's like your're inside a cave and you can hear that dropping sound. Could be my post nasal drip. The  gurgling sound is similar to the water going down the drain .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.