Are my symptoms typical of fibroids and what options are available

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum and relieved to find that there is support and unbiased information available. My situation is that I was diagnosed with multiple fibroids after an ultrasound 18 months ago. They weren't giving me too much bother at the time apart from slightly heavy periods. However, fast forward to six weeks ago and I had a very heavy period which basically didn't stop and I have essentially been bleeding non stop for almost six weeks now. My gp put me on Provera a synthetic progesterone to stop the bleeding, it helps a little but hasn't fully stopped. I'm awaiting a transfer vaginally ultrasound next week to see what's going on. I am extremely worried, firstly that it's nothing more sinister than fibroids and secondly if it is fibroids that I can be offered an option which will preserve fertility.

I would like to ask you ladies if this non stop continuous bleeding from one period to another is normal? Also I would really like to get some advice re best removal methods which will preserve my fertility? I have read that there is a new focused ultrasound treatment which is very successful. Has anyone had this and is it available in UK or Ireland? Other than this I have read that laparoscopic myomectomy is the only other option which is non invasive. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this.

Thanks for reading, look forward to hearing.

Belle101

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I too had a 4 week non stop period and was put on Norethisterone to stop the bleeding and iron tablets as I became anemic. An ultrasound showed I had three fibroids: I am 25 and so like you are concerned about my fertility. After multiple appointments with my consultant he stated that the two options are UFE and a myoectomy. He stated that for younger people he advises that they opt for the myoectomy as the UFE is a relatively new procedure they are not fully aware of the effect it has long term on fertility so I have opted for the myoectomy. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you for reply, much appreciated. It's a relief to know that the continuous bleeding is not an unusual symptom of fibroids. Also please excuse the typo in my post. The ultrasound I mentioned is trans vaginal.

• Posted

hello,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm no expert, but from what I know, it does sound like your symptoms could be due to your fibroids but I get why you would be worried about other things (I was too). I have 2 fibroids but they're outside my uterus so don't cause bleeding problems but I do think they've contributed to the long list of physical problems I've had over the past 2 years. I ended up having a laporoscopy to rule out endometriosis, I didn't have it and because I don't have bleeding problems, I felt I had come to the end of the road medically. 

I looked into what causes fibroids and it seems hormonal issues/imbalances come up a lot. I then looked into what can cause hormonal problems and I have done everything I can to change all the things in my life that can cause hormone issues- so I've changed to natural beauty & cleaning products, reduced stress through daily meditation and yoga and become vegan. I also take supplements like magnesium, licorice and things that will help with high stress and cortisol leves like ashwagandha. I know these are quite drastic changes but I was desperate to get my life back.

I don't know what's done it but i could feel one of my fibroids easily before and now it's quite difficult to feel it, I'm sure it has shrunk. All the symptoms I was having have either massively reduced or disappeared. If you're looking for something that might help that is natural, it might be worth considering. (I still have cheese and ice cream for an occassional treat so it's not ALL bad! smile

I hope this helps and you get to the bottom of what's going on for you. 

• Posted

Hi Betty, thanks for info. I admire your discipline, not so sure I could do it. Yes, I sincerely hope that I'm not dealing with anything more sinister. Tuesday can't come soon enough. As I'm bleeding constantly I would imagine that I'll have to make fairly rapid decisions. Generally not feeling great in myself at this stage and the worry doesn't help.

• Posted

Hi Betty, I'm also trying to regulate my hormones with diet, and with supplements ( I take DIM, milk thistle and curcumin). I have cut down on dairy foods and red meat significantly. I am trying with the alcohol but that's harder! Only time will tell if this is making a difference.

• Posted

It is so difficult! I think just a massive reduction in itself is great and then not be too hard on ourselves if we do decide to have the occasional treat. It's been about 2 months for me now and I'm really benefitting from it. My main symptom was fatigue and bloating plus rashes and skin issues and I've not bloated or had a rash in such a long time and my skin has never been so clear. The fatigue is improving gradually and I'm now starting to get my life back. I'll look into DIM, milk thistle and curcumin. Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks Betty, good luck with all, whatever you're doing it seems to be working.

• Posted

Hi Heather, DIM is derived from cruciferous veg eg broccoli, cabbage, and is thought to help control oestrogen levels. Milk thistle is to help liver function, and curcumin is anti cancer, abnormal cell growth etc. I don't know if they are helping, but they are natural so no side effects. If you look up DIM and fibroids on Google you'll see several references to good results with shrinking fibroids.

• Posted

Oh and I also take 2tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar at least once a day on an empty stomach with water, supposed to help with all sorts of ailments......
    • Posted

Do you get all of these from the health food shop? I'm starting. I've used Milk Thistle before & liked it.

• Posted

I can get milk thistle and curcumin locally (Spain), but send off to Amazon for the DIM.
  • Posted

Hi Belle, sorry to hear you're going through this, the continuous bleeding is really distressing. I too had that a nearly two years ago, along with stabbing pains and bloating. I was put on Esmya, which did ease the bleeding eventually - it takes a few weeks to start to shrink the fibroids - and have been on 3 courses altogether. My situation is different to yours as I should be in menopause at 58, but the fibroids have persisted. You could suggest Esmya while you decide your options for removal. I am surprised you are on synthetic progesterone as I thought progesterone causes fibroid growth - Esmya is a progesterone receptor blocker. I guess the gp is just addressing the bleeding.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Christine, thank you for reply. I will look into Esmya. I know that there is another type of hormonal treatment which basically brings on a premature menopause which I definitely don't want. Does Esmya have an anti oestrogenic effect do you know? It's interesting what you were saying about the progesterone, I will have to contact gp on this as it's obviously not working with bleeding starting up again last two days. Is fatigue a symptom of fibroids? I have been feeling exhausted despite my last blood test showing that my blood count was ok. I know it's possible that it may have dropped in the three weeks since I was last tested.

• Posted

Hi, Esmya does cause menopausal symptoms but they stop as soon as you finish the course. I would discuss with your gp whether they are suitable for you. For me the side effects were worth it, just to get relief from the bleeding and bloating, and although mine have grown back between courses, I have never bled like that since. It is over 2 months now since my last course and so far they have not grown back significantly, and I have no bleeding.

Yes I was fatigued as well, no one ever said my blood count was really low, but all that bleeding can't be good for you. The treatments all seem a bit of a lottery as there are conflicting opinions and of course everyone's case and experience is different.

• Posted

Thanks Christine, yes it really is a lottery and it's very difficult to decide on the best option as they all carry some element of risk. I just want to equip myself with as much knowledge as possible before ultrasound so that I can make an informed decision rather than being rail roaded into the easiest option for the gynaecologist which can often be the case.

• Posted

Hi, due to numerous fibroids which were found on normal ultrasound and then 2 further transvaginal ultrasounds, i had a myomectomy earlier this month for the one that was considered to be the one causing post menopausal bleeding the past 2 years.  The ultrasound should show the size of the fibroids and obviously location, although i also had an MRI after the transvagina scan as the first consultant was keen to do a hysterectomy and i wasn't.  I was able to have a myomectomy by hysteroscopy as fibroid was less than 10cm.  Esmya is usually used to shrink fibroids before surgery.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Anne, thanks for reply. Well hopefully mine is less than 10cm as a myomectomy would be my preferred option also the more research I'm doing. Hope you're making a good recovery. I have read a lot about focused ultrasound treatment also but I don't know if that's only available in U.S.

• Posted

I was very nervous about having it done but the actual procedure with a general anaesthetic went well. I've had a lot of gas and bloating since but i understand this is usual, overall i'm doing fine, apart from a severe dose of diarrhoea 2 days after op which may be due to drugs given to me during procedure, but not sure.  Thankfully this is all resolving now.  Sure you will be fine, I was such a wuss about it all but apart from one night when i had quite severe cramps no pain, think this was more due to the stomach upset. Take care.

• Posted

just to say, the fibroids can grow back but then again might not.  I postponed my op on 3 occasions as i was so unsure what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.