Are Neurathenia and ME the same thing?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Neurasthenia is a historical diagnosis that showed up both in the UK and also here in the US with the onset of industrialization. Aldous Huxley uses the word in Brave New World.

Curiously this was also roughly coincident with modern allopathic medicine and germ theory.

I am thinking they are the same and provide clues as to the nature of ME. I'd posit that ME is a loss of resilience due to environmental and social stressors as well as a reduction in nutrition associated with industrialism.

As such, I suspect the medical biases against ME are fundamental to medical practice rationalized by the benefits of germ theory and reinforced by corporate legal bias. This may well also be at the root of the split with the more holistic and pagan homeopaths.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

CFS/ME is caused by a viral infection. No effective treatment, either addressed by homeopathic or traditional medicines or practices, currently exist. The virus resides inside of cells, making it difficult to recognize with regular blood tests. It is an active virus that is stimulated by stress, physical and/or by mental exertion to the point it flares up with more than normal rigor.

• Posted

I'm generally familiar with that theory, especially as it applies to Lyme Disease. I am skeptical, certainly this is a testable hypothesis via biopsy and I have not seen a study that does that.

Viral onset is common, mine was gastroenteritis, but i already had low grade issues. A good counter example is over training syndrome.

I believe there is a fundamental loss of resiliency that is a pre-condition. Recovery can happen but it is very slow.

I like to describe the condition as hiw you feel after the infectious stage of the flu.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.