Are non epileptic seizures stopped with Benzodiazepine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Are benzodiazeoines given to people that have non epileptic seizures if they are actively fitting?. If not how are they stopped by paramedics or doctors

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been following your post on this forum and completely understand how you feel about the way some doctors treat people with NEAD . It has taken me 3 years of fighting for tests to prove what my seizures are , even the neurologist refused to see anymore because he considered this to be psychological , yet he hasn't even bothered to tell me , I had to instigate the test results myself . 

I wasn't given anything for my seizures , I was just monitored and left to come out of the seizure myself . On a few occasions I was given oxygen because I had low O2 levels . My GP has prescribed Diazepam , but only if my seizures get bad , they do help especially if I take them early before I have a tonic/clonic seizure .

At my local hospital they don't even admit people with known seizures , I was sent home after being blue-lighted by ambulance .

I'm sorry if this doesn't seem helpful , but in the UK NEAD doesn't rank very high on the medical scale .

All the best from Janet .

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Its just all so confusing. At the moment i am diagnosed as an epileptic but the fact they want me to undergo another EEG makes me wonder if they're now looking into them been non epileptic. I too have noticed that most doctors in the UK are uneducated on non epileptic seizures and therefore over look them as 'been put on'

• Posted

I live in the US and am on keppra for my seizure medication and they have been under control for 30 years. I do however, have anxiety and panic attacks which the doctor will only give me gabapentin which is a antidepressant and it does nothing for me. I have asked for ativan or valium or something that actually helps but I get the excuse that it's too addicting. I took valium 20 years ago and had no problem with it. Doctors over here are just as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.