Are PPIs or Proton Pump Inhibitors Safe?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking omeprazole for about 5 years now but have horrible addominal pains, was reading about PPIs in a website : https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/more-studies-emerging-that-ppis-(proton-pump-inhibitors)-linked-to-increased-risks-of-deaths

Can anyone tell me if this information is true ie PPIs si dangerous, and if so waht alteranative can I take. Please help. Thai doctors are hopeless when asking for advice.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on a PPI for about 2 years when they started saying there may be some bad side effects. My acupuncturist suggested juicing celery. I did it and had some bad rebound reflux for about 4 or 5 days . It then started getting better and I am totally off of medication

• Posted

Yes, they can be bad in the long run. I was on them for about 6 years and then decided to change to another drug class that does the same thing in controlling reflux: H2 receptor antagonist, these have LESS side effects and no real harm long term. Ask to go on ranitidine instead of PPIs.

Even if PPIs don;t have bad side effects long term, it's good to swap meds every few years.

• Posted

That's waht my doctor precribed instead was ranitidine. I will only take it if I need it and now they say it has carcinogens. You can't win. I was fully ready to stay on PPI if nothing else worked

• Posted

Regarding ranitidine, yes they are bad in the very long run. But not in the short run. As to it containing carcinogens, the issue is the level and duration of treatment more than the fact that they have carcinogens.

• Posted

To clarify: the issue with ranitidine is because last month a probable carcinogenic chemical called NDMA was found in batches on sale in the US, Canada & the EU and it has been withdrawn from sale in those jurisdictions as well as Australia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.