Are some people being prescribed drugs for osteoporosis but never had a bone density scan?

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I was diagnosed with osteoporosis I was very surprised.

I had turned 70 and in Australia you are offered your first bone density scan to check for osteoporosis or osteopenia.

Now I realise I should have checked it sooner and had more knowledge.

I have noticed some people are saying they broke bones and were put straight onto the drugs and/or painkillers.

Although my osteoporosis is quite severe as the worst part of my back is -4.3 t score.

Yet I have never broken a bone.

I have researched and found that as many people without osteoporosis break bones as those with the disease.

Therefore, why are people being prescribed the drugs like AA without being scanned to make sure they actually have osteoporosis?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Kathleen, Ihad my DXA scan as part of my polymyalgia follow up ...8 months of glucocorticoid treatment otherwise I probably would not have known that I do have osteoporosis. The rheumatologist recommended Alendronate to my GP but trying to improve lifestyle and supplements first.
  • Posted

Hello Kathleen

I suspect that are a few medical staff out there who just want the patient out of the surgery as quickly as they can get them and prescribe their favourite drug for achieving this. There are also others who would look at the evidence and deduce, Woman, broken bone, past menopause most probable cause - Osteoporosis, prescribe osteoporosis drugs. Again, they get rid of the patient quickly. The third medical practitioner of whichever variety, would consider the same evidence and probably first perform an X-ray in an attempt to get further evidence and then consider the primary regions for an osteoporotic fracture - Wrist, Rib, Spine and Hip and see if they fitted the evidence. They should then order a dexascan which may take a little time and would add to the evidence one way or another. Then armed with this evidence, a diagnosis should be attempted and suggestions for treatment considered. The treatment options if confirmed as Osteoporosis (not osteopenia) will probably include Bisphosohonates which should require a lengthy advice given by the GP regarding all the side effects and a warning that they shouldn't really be taken for very long and that the lifestyle must be changed so that the bone may grow again without risk of brittle bones as an end product.

My own experience was nothing like this because I didn't break a bone, I just had a scan because of a family history and my age. The MD had his prescription half written before I got through the door on the way in and I was out again within two minutes with the minimum of discussion and a suggestion that I read the leaflet enclosed with the medication and stick rigidly to its directions. At that stage I was naive and didn't have much idea of what was happening and it took five months before I had learned enough to make an educated decision to reject the AA and go down the'Natural Route'. That was two months ago and I haven't been back to the Drs yet and have no intention of doing so until my next dexascan is due one year after the last.

So I suppose the answer to your query is that most people trust their doctor, are naive, don't have enough information and are probably quite frightened if they already have a broken bone.

Regards, Aristotle

One really serious thing I have learnt is that this body is mine and in future no-one gets to do anything with it without I know exactly what they are doing, why and what the results will be. I also want to know about any side effects and how they will affect my body and my quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.