Are The actual new knees different between nhs and private

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been advised that I need a new knee imminently does anybody know if  the actual replacement knee is different between nhs and private surgery. I have been told different things by two different surgeons; one saying the knees are the same the other saying the private knee is superior. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Golfingman,

​To my knowledge there is no difference with the actual op.The same surgeons work in both the private sector and the nhs. I had mine done private and the only difference is, there will be is there is no waiting time to go in, and the after care is better with private they have more time to look after you etc,but the actual surgery will be the same.

​Hope you make the right decision

Thanks Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn44823

Thanks for your comments, however I was actually referring to the new metal knee itself. Is the knee fitted in a private operation different, ie superior,  to the one fitted by the nhs. 

• Posted

I spoke to a surgeon who works privately before deciding to go nhs and he talked about making the knee bespoke to your leg, based on x ray and measurements. With nhs you get small medium or large. I think you also get more consultation and choice of the type of joint and materials used going private. With nhs they use the tried and tested and you don’t get much / any choice. It’s really worth researching your surgeon and where you have the op. I changed half way through to a chap who came highly recommended and it lost me time waiting for the op but it was worth it. I’m 6 weeks post, walking without a stick mostly and back to work part time. Make sure you do the exercises diligently. They feel brutal but Essential for a good result. Paula
  • Posted

No not at all
    • Posted

I think different surgeons use different makes of implants, to there preferences, don’t know if cost is a consideration. I found out my surgeons preference and researched it .
  • Posted

I had TKR seven weeks ago in a private hospital through work in the next room was a fella who went through the nhs,exactly same new knee,same surgeon,same after care for our 3 day stay,only two differences were i was in to get my op within four weeks of first going to see my GP and private get into surgery on the morning,nhs ops were afternoon surgery.i know I was private(this time) but we are so lucky to have a wonderful NHS system.
  • Posted

I only knew what type of knee I'd get from the NHS as I mentioned allergy to costume jewellery so had a different knee to the surgeon's usual choice. It was more expensive being different materials. Whether better I'm not sure as my knee has not been a fast recovery, but I'd had a bad knee for many years so that also affects recovery.

?If I were you, I'd ask what type of knee each surgeon would use, then do an internet research on the knee implants and read reviews. If you trust the surgeon and they have a good track record - which can be looked up on line too, the implant should be suited to your needs. I was not able to consider private surgery but if I could have that is what I would have done and ask questions.

• Posted

I would highly recommend Dr Steven  Nguyen in Orlando, Florida. His method of surgery is a side incision bipassing the front muscle and tendons of the knee for a speedier recovery.   I’m a 70-year-old female and had full knee replacement surgery a little over four weeks ago. I’m currently walking on my own without a cane. My surgeon chose the Stryker appliance for my knee. 

If I were you I would check into this surgeon. I know that people come from all over the United States to have knee replacements done by this doctor.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Nananikki, after reading many of the posts on this site, I was getting very discouraged about upcoming tkr.  I live in the Seattle area and have several types of options for 3-Dprinted custom knees.  I don't know if the folks in the UK have those options.  I was encouraged to read your post and am going to a seminar tonight at a hospital that uses the MAKO Robotic by Stryker.  My ortho uses the Conformis but I've researched that they have some recalls and lawsuits.  I can't find anything negative on the Stryker.

• Posted

Hi Golfingman,

?I can't answer your question either specifically or with authority, suffice to say though I rather suspect the over riding criteria is to what extent your knee has been damaged, the nature of the damage, and what type of implant they plan to use to overcome your problems. Is the implant gonna being impacted onto the new knee so that the bone grows to it, whether its gonna be screwed in place or whether it is gonna be cemented in place.

?Matter of interest my surgeon operates in the NHS and Private system and I was actually operated on as an NHS patient in a private hospital, cared for post op, exercises devised by private healthcare, and post op consultations/reviews all in private care.

Like all of us it was a challenging experience, but, I did exactly as I was told and it is brilliant. The 2 year marking coming up on 6 Nov.

?I just can't imagine the industry that makes these spare parts manufacturing the spare parts to different specifications just to suit a 'private' surgeon and a NHS surgeon - as I say - they would be more likely manufactured to the needs of the knee damage than anything else. Then comes the aspect if cement is used - some people maybe allergic to any cement thus causing problems down the line - and that isn't really anything to do with the quality of the build of the spare part, rather to do with the patient.

Good luck.

?John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.