Are the anti depressents making me worse?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on fluoxetine for 3 weeks now and i feel no better if anything i feel worse.

im self harming i feel vacant im feeling increasing detachted from my young children my head feels a mess im so agitated all the time aswell. I had these symptoms before the tablets too

I want to stop taking the anti depressents now n see. If i  feel normal again but my hubby thinks that they could be making a slight difference n if i stop taking them ill be even worse.

i saw the gp yesterday who has agreed that after my holiday nxt week (which im dreading but kids r excited) we can try a different anti depressent. In the mean time hes prescribed me diazepam for the aggitation. 

Im just worried the tablets are making me more depressed than i would be if i wasnt taking them n they r messing with my mind!

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna, First of all you are struggling bigtime with a whole gambit of emotions as well as trying to be mum,wife and all things to a ray of different people.You went to gp yes'day and husband sounds as if he is trying to help you 2 key must have elements in your team .  fluoxitine might not be the right anti-depressant in the end but another 2-3wks is probably needed on it and use the diazepam but realise it is pretty potent and if taken at night will give you sleep which is what you need.I know the holiday is probably filling you with dread ,is it in uk ? if it is simplify what you do ,those children need their mum/dad to build them sandcastles ,nothing more Baby steps and before you know it joy and laughter will come back into your life ,a helping hand is needed at the moment I really wish you luck L

• Posted

Hi Anna,

I take fluoxetine in the form of seroxat. i am on 40mg a day, sometime ago i weaned myself down to 20mg and then hit a rocky patch and went back up to 40mg and felt much better. These particular anti-depressants do take about 6 weeks to work and it is not un-common to feel worse before you feel better.

There is a good web-site about this drug, just type fluoxetine into google and you should fine it.       good luck xxx

• Posted

i am an old patiant of Anxity nurosis .anti depressents are not the permanent solution of treatment of anxity and dipression.The meditation and prayers to God make me strong.Please don't worry.worry is the journy to death. Every thing in our life will be solve .always thanka and pray to God. We Our self have create Anxity and depression in our mind. Therefore doctor could not make me healthy. Every Depressive Person have a Doctor inside us. Anti Depressents have many dengerous side effects.Please treat your self with meditation and positive thinking.Every thing go better one day. Be smile and enjoy the life.

• Posted

Every person who is on FLUPENTIXOL and MELITRACEN.Please cheque your Gulucose level regulerly.Beacause this medicine can increase your blood gulucose level.It is my own experience.
  • Posted

Anna, personally I think you would be making a mistake if stopped taking your medication, as you said you have only been taking them for 3wks. Your doctor should of explained that all antidepressants take a long time to fully get into the system and start to work their magic. Even if changed medication they would have to reduce the meds you're on now before starting you on different ones. I've had a pretty dreadful night and very restless sleep and for the first. time it had nothing to do with my own situation/anxieties etc, I was worried about a young lad who uses this site and whose words had such an impact on me and others as have yours now. ring your doctor if your concerns persist and seek his/her professional advice and in the meantime, you have us on this site who will try to help you through the tough moments.
  • Posted

Hi Anna !

Just thought Id like to comment as Ive recently started fluoxetine . I was given 20mg and for the first 4 weeks or so I actually did feel worse - much more anxious . My psychiatrist explained to me that sometimes fluoxetine can cause worsening of anxiety in the early stages . He suggested I try an increased dose of 40mg if I could tolerate it . Incredibly my depression has now lifted considerably and the side effects are easing off . It may be that this isnt the right medication for you - everybodys different - dont give up hope . 

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies.

im keen to try a different AD but am sticking with the fluoxitine for another week despite wishing i could just stop taking them. Im seeing my gp next mon who has agreed to try a different one.

im getting alot of support from the GP and health visitor at the moment and also have a family support worker involved but i feel like im losing control of the situation.

Sometimes i wanna just shut down from everyone n make them leave me alone but i know thats not going to happen especially as i have 2 young children.

But then sometimes i feel like im craving there attention they give me and i enjoy it does that make me strange?

• Posted

Anna, You won't think it at present but you are doing really well ,you are rightly trying to make sense of something out of your control at the moment but your survival instinct is working too.confidence will come from those people intent on seeing you/helping to get you well again and you will given time.i think it must be like not having the capacity to switch your brain off from a plethora of things at present but you do have a handle on things and in time improvement will come.Its scary,daunting and totally unfamiliar territory but lots of us can relate to you and at the moment i hope you can draw some strength from that.

• Posted

I still wonder if im in denial about being depressed

i REALLY WANT to self harm and at the minute i scratch my legs until they bleed but now im looking for new ways to get the high i get from self harming

I have suicidal thoughts n the fact i have a over a months supply of fluoxitine n 28 diazepam its like they r teasing me n telling me to take them all ( dont worry i dont think they r talking to me) 

but im managing to convince alot of people im not depressed at all i put in my happy mummy face n pretend als ok wen inside i feel like crying

• Posted

I don't know what compels people to self harm but I I think I can relate to the act achieving a high if it's about trying to feel something that makes you recognise that you are capable of experiencing emotion by almost testing yourself to the limit. I have no idea if this makes any sense at all so think I'll stop droning on . Xx
  • Posted

Hi Anna, if you read the instructions to your medications, it will say it take at least 3 weeks before they start to work. I am also on fluoxetine, after about 4 weeks i did notice they were starting to help, however when i have been at my worst i didn't feel they did work, and my gp increased the dosage.

I would say stick to them for a couple more weeks and see if you notice a change. There are many different anti depressants, sometimes we need to try a few to find the best fit for us.

The tablets shouldn't be making you worse, you probably feeling more aggiated because you want to feel better quickly, which is understandable, but they take a while to get into your system.

Talking to someone about how you feel may help you too, im here if you want to chat, take care x

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies

im not in a good place right now i just want out im so fed up of feeling like this.

my head is all over the place n feels fuzzy n vacant im so shakey aswell.

why cant i go back to how i use to be sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.