ARE THER ANY SURVIVORS OUT THERE FROM A RUPTURED AORTA?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been on the mend now for 7 months. Had a 7cm AAA rupture. Trying to find out longevity answers etc.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes we r here! Mine was 5.2cm, I didn’t know I had it. It was on its way to rupturing while I was on the way to emergency. Mine was also ascending, they repaired near the root. There r heart issues on both sides of my family. My grandfather died at 53 from an aneurysm, they told my mom he had a big balloon by his heart. It didn’t click with her what it really was until my surgery.

We shouldn’t be going anywhere for a long time, though we r lucky to have survived the surgery and to be alive! Mine is now going on 10 months it’s been a long recovery for me. I’m still getting out of breath and not sure if it’s anxiety, which I’ve had since 2005. My Dr just changed a medication. I’m on Labatalol blood pressure med that says it can cause out of breath they lowered my dose. I have an appointment with my cardiologist nxt week. Biggest issue is I haven’t been able to go back to work yet. Everyone is different, I’m in luxury retail which is very stressful, but being out of breath is the biggest issue. Watch your diet, exercise is important even without the surgery. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Yes, my ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm dissected August 11, 2018. I was also one of the fortunate ones. My Dr, who had been monitoring this for several years, knew what it was. I was air lifted to Barnes Jewish hospital in St Louis to undergo surgery. My aorta was grated and a new mechanical aortic valve put in. I was in the hospital for a month. It's just now going on two months but I am making progress. I have several strengthening exercises I do each day and I can now walk 1/2 mile without getting too winded. I am 63 yr old and retired so fortunately I don't have work issues to deal with. I was told that it would take 6-12 months to get back to where I was but I know that everyone is different. I have not been told anything about long term prognosis. I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon next week so I will add it to my list of questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.