Are there alternatives to digital rectal examinations ?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

For about the past 4 months I've been having aching in my bum when I sit or lay down. Not when I'm walking around though, and not even everytime when I sit either. Mostly in the evening and mornings driving to work for example and when I've a bowel movement on the horizon.

My bowels haven't been right for a couple years either and I'm now poo'ing over the normal amount in terms of trips to the toilet. I'm thinking the bum ache is down to straining as my tummy spasms after I poo sometimes which then makes my bum strain, trying to push out something that isn't there.

However, I've a real phobia of DRE 's. Its a childhood trauma thing , when I was about five and had to be pinned down kicking and screaming to have suppositories pushed up my bum by my parents I was hav ing problems poo'ing then. My mum caught my rectum with her nail and made it bleed. Ever since then brain puts me in defence mode and when ever the thought of going to the Dr's for a DRE happens I bottle out and can't do it.

I've just started therapy for it, but that takes a while and costs, and I'm getting really fed up now.

I was wondering, can Dr's recommend an alternative such as a non evasive scan ?. I live the UK as I know it can differ across the world .

Cheers.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.